I have an Asus k56cb with the following specs:

Intel® Core™ i5-3317U Dual Core 1,7 GHz
Turbo Boost / Burst 2,6 GHz
Cache Processador 3 MB

RAM 16 GB

HD 750 GB

15,6" LED HD 1366x768 pixels
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT 740M 2048MB dedicated

I bought it back in 2013, i never liked much the screen but i got used to it, the battery is long way dead.

But it has served me through the years and still works fine. My biggest issue is with the internet signal, i hired 500 mbps and the laptop only gets up to 70mbps. Some times i have to reboot the laptop it gets no signal (while the signal on my cell phone is constant never breaks), once the reboot is done the internet comes again.

The current wifi card is: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485, is it worth or possible to invest in a new wifi card for this laptop? If yes which one is compatible?

Thank you.

The problem in your case is twofold. You have an older WiFi card, but it's also inside a portable computer. Part of your problem is antenna related and putting a new card in the computer might not give you much more speed.

An good external USB WiFi adapter with an antenna might be more helpful in your situation.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

2 hours ago, Joe User said:

The problem in your case is twofold. You have an older WiFi card, but it's also inside a portable computer. Part of your problem is antenna related and putting a new card in the computer might not give you much more speed.

An good external USB WiFi adapter with an antenna might be more helpful in your situation.

Which one do you guys recommend me?

11 minutes ago, camuflage said:

Which one do you guys recommend me?

You blind? Pick one from my list. ALL should be compatable with your laptop. *bang*

Edit: If you want the same one, match up your wifi cvard's serial number.

15 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

That doesn't solve the problem. That just puts the same card in and expects different results.

Here's an inexpensive USB adapter from a known company.  Personally, I would spend the extra $10 and get the newer model.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P5PRK7J

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KHV7H1S

21 minutes ago, Joe User said:

That doesn't solve the problem. That just puts the same card in and expects different results.

Here's an inexpensive USB adapter from a known company.  Personally, I would spend the extra $10 and get the newer model.

If his old wifi card is failing, a new one will fix it...

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

If his old wifi card is failing, a new one will fix it...

That's assuming the issue is hardware and not drivers designed in 2011. Either way, they'll never get over 150 on an 802.11n 1x1 internal setup.

7 hours ago, Joe User said:

Curiously i just bought this one in the morning before you posted your suggestions: https://www.tp-link.com/pt/home-networking/adapter/archer-t2u/

The velocity i get now is 154 mbps, so should i exchange this one for another like you recommended? I would like it small like a pen.

1 hour ago, camuflage said:

Curiously i just bought this one in the morning before you posted your suggestions: https://www.tp-link.com/pt/home-networking/adapter/archer-t2u/

The velocity i get now is 154 mbps, so should i exchange this one for another like you recommended? I would like it small like a pen.

It might help, it depends on how old your WiFi Access Point/Router is and how far away you are.  If your Router/AP is an older 802.11bgn I doubt you'll get much more speed. 

I wouldn't bother changing at this point.

1 hour ago, Joe User said:

It might help, it depends on how old your WiFi Access Point/Router is and how far away you are.  If your Router/AP is an older 802.11bgn I doubt you'll get much more speed. 

I wouldn't bother changing at this point.

I have 14 days to change to a new wifi card if necessary.

My router is Wi-Fi Dual band, 2,4 GHz (802.11 b/g/n with MIMO 3x3) and 5 GHz (802.11 a/n/ac Wave2 with MU-MIMO 4x4). I tested the velocity i the maximum so far is 140mbps. My contract is 500mbps, the router if 8m away with a wall in the between and behind the tv.

29 minutes ago, camuflage said:

My router is Wi-Fi Dual band, 2,4 GHz (802.11 b/g/n with MIMO 3x3) and 5 GHz (802.11 a/n/ac Wave2 with MU-MIMO 4x4). I tested the velocity i the maximum so far is 140mbps. My contract is 500mbps, the router if 8m away with a wall in the between and behind the tv.

Can you try switching over to the 5 GHz range?

Mind telling us the brand and model? That doesn't give out much to us.

You wont see 500mbps out of your wifi connection; fact that you are getting over 100mbps is pretty good. Your router probably says something like speeds greater than 800Mbps, when in reality they are talking about throughput, which isn't the same as actual transfer bandwidth.

15 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

You wont see 500mbps out of your wifi connection; fact that you are getting over 100mbps is pretty good. Your router probably says something like speeds greater than 800Mbps, when in reality they are talking about throughput, which isn't the same as actual transfer bandwidth.

4249593812.png

😁 With 5 year old Access Points. 

18 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Mind telling us the brand and model? That doesn't give out much to us.

It is from Askey, a model made specially for my ISP no longer available in Askey website.

2 hours ago, Joe User said:

Are you using 2.4 or 5GHz? The numbers look like 2.4, can you switch to 5 and try again?

I used wifi analyzer to test the channels and signals, i'm using 5Ghz channel 11 100. Also changed the dns to an open one.

Currently getting 173Mbps but it can get lower depending on the time of the day.

Edited by camuflage

16 minutes ago, camuflage said:

I used wifi analyzer to test the channels and signals, i'm using 5Ghz channel 11. Also changed the dns to an open one.

Currently getting 173Mbps but it can get lower depending on the time of the day.

Channel 11 is 2.4GHz.

13 hours ago, camuflage said:

I used wifi analyzer to test the channels and signals, i'm using 5Ghz channel 11 100. Also changed the dns to an open one.

One more test,  I want to see if distance from the router is the problem. Can you test again while next to your router? 

Also, how crowded is the WiFi near you? Do you pick up a lot of networks when scanning?

You might as well plug your laptop into your router via ethernet cable and determine what your wired speed is.  Obviously your wireless speed won't be faster than that, so this will determine if the router is the bottleneck.

7 hours ago, Joe User said:

One more test,  I want to see if distance from the router is the problem. Can you test again while next to your router? 

Also, how crowded is the WiFi near you? Do you pick up a lot of networks when scanning?

Gives me same low velocity.

Only channel 100 has something the rest is free

7 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

You might as well plug your laptop into your router via ethernet cable and determine what your wired speed is.  Obviously your wireless speed won't be faster than that, so this will determine if the router is the bottleneck.

I did plug to ethernet and it's almost near the hired velocity.

17 minutes ago, camuflage said:

Gives me same low velocity.

Only channel 100 has something the rest is free

I did plug to ethernet and it's almost near the hired velocity.

What speed are you paying for?