Should i replace the wifi card?

Hello,

It looks like your computer shipped with a half-height Mini PCIe Wi-Fi card using the Qualcomm Atheros AR5B22 chipset, which is a 2.4GHz-only (802.11b/g/n) radio with a maximum speed of 300Mbps.

You could look into replacing it with a newer half-height Mini PCIe Wi-Fi card that support 5GHz bands.  Your best bet would probably be an Intel 7260HMW half-height Mini PCIe Wi-Fi card, which supports 802.11ac, up to 867Mbps. 

I would suggest checking in ASUS own support forum to first verify compatibility, though.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

If you're near the router and still getting slow speeds it could be interference or an older device slowing things down. (The other issues could be a problem with the AP or USB adapter, let's assume they're both working normally for now)

Are there any other devices on the 5GHz channel?  (If so, move them to 2.4  while testing) Also, do you have unique SSID's for 2.4 and 5? I would also try using another channel for the 5GHz network, see if that helps.

2 minutes ago, Joe User said:

If you're near the router and still getting slow speeds it could be interference or an older device slowing things down. (The other issues could be a problem with the AP or USB adapter, let's assume they're both working normally for now)

Are there any other devices on the 5GHz channel?  (If so, move them to 2.4  while testing) Also, do you have unique SSID's for 2.4 and 5? I would also try using another channel for the 5GHz network, see if that helps.

The tv is connected by ethernet, ipad and cell phones are in 2.4. Only my laptop is in 5GHz. The USB3 door works well i barely use it.

I have tried different channels they all get different velocities but very low.

I'm running out of ideas. Could be a router issue at this point.

If you want to send a screenshot of your router's WiFi 5GHz settings, including any advanced settings, we can see if there's anything misconfigured. Hide your WiFi password and the last 4 characters of the MAC address.

On 19/11/2020 at 02:55, Joe User said:

I'm running out of ideas. Could be a router issue at this point.

If you want to send a screenshot of your router's WiFi 5GHz settings, including any advanced settings, we can see if there's anything misconfigured. Hide your WiFi password and the last 4 characters of the MAC address.

It is very basic menu with channels and frequencies to choose from that's all.

On 19/11/2020 at 00:04, goretsky said:

Hello,

It looks like your computer shipped with a half-height Mini PCIe Wi-Fi card using the Qualcomm Atheros AR5B22 chipset, which is a 2.4GHz-only (802.11b/g/n) radio with a maximum speed of 300Mbps.

You could look into replacing it with a newer half-height Mini PCIe Wi-Fi card that support 5GHz bands.  Your best bet would probably be an Intel 7260HMW half-height Mini PCIe Wi-Fi card, which supports 802.11ac, up to 867Mbps. 

I would suggest checking in ASUS own support forum to first verify compatibility, though.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I was told today at IT store today they will evaluate my usb pen if it has an issue and that only wifi card from intel they have is not compatible with my machine, only from 6th generation of intel processors.