I've commited myself to Arch

aphanic
6 hours ago, Brandon H said:

I've never successfully installed Gentoo :rofl: 

I'm in that group as well! Gentoo/Funtoo is something that I've never successfully installed, but I reckon I didn't have the time or real drive to run any of those distributions, for me it was just curiosity and didn't delve into resolving the issues I had encountered.

After that, on we go to LFS... 😄

• 2 weeks later...
cmcgregor80
On 17/11/2020 at 09:44, Brandon H said:

I've never successfully installed Gentoo :rofl: you have to manually compile everything yourself.

Is there a specific spot you get stuck on? The install docs are pretty self explanatory as far as getting a basic system up and running.

Brandon H
17 minutes ago, cmcgregor80 said:

Is there a specific spot you get stuck on? The install docs are pretty self explanatory as far as getting a basic system up and running.

can't remember, it's been about a decade since I last tried if I'm honest

sinetheo

One question I have is how stable is Arch? Will an update break it with a bug? A rolling release where Arch developers admit you should bug the developers writting the program is a big turn off for me.

I like running older software with teams fixing bugs in userland. I love FreeBSD because it has a userland team in addition to the kernel. Linux Mint for example was the last distro I used and like the fact it's stable. I am still on Windows 10 1909 with feature updates delayed for 365 days. 2004 still can't game due to latencies in the hundreds of milliseconds with the mouse for example ??!

I am tempted to use Arch to learn Unix. But I don't want cinnamon to be crashing, Xorg randomly restarting and forum members telling me to RTFM and go bug Nvidia. Not our problem! I am not saying this is the experience but I want to make sure before I jump into it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   4 members

• adrynalyne
    • aphanic
    • Brandon H
    • sinetheo
  • Similar Content

• By Namerah S
      Metro Exodus announced for the PS5 and Xbox series X|S
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

Amidst celebrations of the tenth anniversary of its first-person shooter franchise, 4A Games has announced that Metro Exodus will be landing on the next-generation of consoles. In addition to the newly revealed console variants, the video game developer also stated that Linux and macOS versions of the game are also in the works.

While no exact details were provided, the game's makers did confirm free next-gen upgrades as have become the industry norm. Faster frame rates, better resolution, quicker loading times, and other enhanced features such as ray tracing were also detailed for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S variants of Metro Exodus.

4A Games further revealed that the next game in the Metro series is already under development. The Ukrainian-Maltese video game developer commented:

While the game dev did confirm its commitment to creating a 'story driven single player experience' for the next instalment in the franchise, it also mentioned the existence of a multiplayer mode. As the upcoming Metro title is still in the early phase of production, no concrete decisions about the two game modes have been made yet.

For now, we'll have to sit tight and wait for further details to be shared by the creators of Metro Exodus on all fronts. No release date for the next-gen version of the third Metro game or its Linux and macOS variants has been disclosed yet.

• By zikalify
      Fedora 31 will reach its end of life next Tuesday
      by Paul Hill

The Fedora Project has announced that Fedora 31 will reach its end of life on 24 November 2020. The announcement comes just weeks after the launch of Fedora 33 which included GNOME 3.38 and BTRFS as the default file system.

After next Tuesday, Fedora 31 will stop receiving vital security updates leaving your system open to exploitation as new vulnerabilities are discovered. To make sure that your system stays protected, you should upgrade to a later version; to do this, simply open Software and go to the Updates tab, there you should see a bigger banner offering you a Fedora upgrade.

Once you begin the upgrade with this method, the required files will be downloaded and then your system will ask to reboot to install the files in a similar fashion to how normal updates work. When the upgrade is complete, the system will automatically reboot into the new release.

In the Fedora documentation, it says:

If you do not want to upgrade your system, you also have the option of downloading a fresh copy of Fedora 33 which was released last month. Whether you upgrade your system or do a clean install, ensure that you’ve backed up all of your important files.

• By Ather Fawaz
      The new Intel Open FPGA Stack is geared towards easing development of custom platforms
      by Ather Fawaz

Today at the Intel FPGA Technology Day, Intel showed off its newest offering in the eASIC lineup, the eASIC N5X. Alongside it, the tech giant also debuted its Open FPGA Stack (Intel OFS), a scalable, source-accessible hardware and software infrastructure meant to power customized, high-performance workloads.

Distributed via git repositories, the Intel OFS will be geared towards easing the process of development and deployment on FPGAs by enabling greater code reusability and modularity. Vendors will be able to provide native support to third parties and proprietary Intel-OFS platforms, this would lead to greater portability across Intel FPGA platforms and enable native support across major OS vendor distributions. All of this would lead to a smaller barrier to entry, enabling increased adoption of FPGAs in the industry.

"With the proven success from our early-access customers, we are excited to launch the Intel Open FPGA Stack, with its demonstrated ability to dramatically both reduce the development time and also increase code and hardware design reuse for customers and partners looking to accelerate their workloads,” said Dave Moore, Intel corporate vice president and general manager of the Programmable Solutions Group.

If you are interested in trying out Intel OFS, it is currently in early access. For details on that, as a starting point, you should contact an Intel sales representative. The firm aims to provide assistance regarding the same over the next year. For more details, you may refer to this blog post.

• By zikalify
      Debian Project selects “Homeworld” theme for Debian 11
      by Paul Hill

Debian 11 “Bullseye” is due sometime in 2021 and in preparation it has selected a theme called Homeworld that will be prevalent throughout the operating system. The Homeworld theme was created by Juliette Taka and is inspired by the German Bauhaus art movement which has its beginnings in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Users will come into contact with the Homeworld theme in several places when they use Debian 11. One of the first times will be in the Debian installer where the banner carries the Homeworld artwork. Debian 11 also includes a Homeworld background and a Homeworld-theme login screen.

Following a call for proposing themes, a total of eighteen choices were submitted. A desktop artwork poll was opened up to the public and it received 5,613 responses which ranked the different choices. The Homeworld theme came out on top and will be used in Debian 11.

If you’ve ever run Debian 8 or Debian 9 on your system, you’ll have come across Juliette Taka’s artwork already, she was the author behind the Lines and softWaves themes which were used in those two releases.

• By zikalify
      Debian 13 will be called 'Trixie' after Toy Story dinosaur
      by Paul Hill

The Debian Project has announced that the codename name of Debian 13 is Trixie. Debian 13 is expected to be released sometime in 2025. Alongside the new name, the project announced that Debian 11 would reach its transition and essentials freeze on 12 January 2021; this is considered the first milestone of Debian 11 which is due for release later in 2021.

The codename Trixie comes from the blue dinosaur in Toy Story 3. Ever since 1996, the Debian Project has opted for Toy Story codenames and has so far used Buzz, Rex, Bo, Hamm, Slink, Potato, Woody, Sarge, Etch, Lenny, Squeeze, Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch, Buster, Bullseye, and Bookworm. The current version, Debian 10 ‘Buster’ was released in July 2019 and will receive security support until 2022 and long-term support until 2024.

As long as everything stays on schedule, Debian 11 ‘Bullseye’ should come out in 2021 and receive long-term support until 2026, Debian 12 ‘Bookworm’ will arrive in 2023 and get long-term support until 2028, and Debian 13 ‘Trixie’ will arrive in 2025 and receive long-term support until 2030.

With regards to the upcoming Debian 11 freeze, package maintainers are being asked to evaluate their plans going forward. Once the freeze occurs, the Debian Project does not want large or disruptive changes to packages as this could make them unstable. Having reliable software in Debian is very important for the project because it is the basis of other distributions such as Ubuntu.