Prevent mandatory AMD drivers from installing; how to?


Recommended Posts

kiddingguy

While checking for updates, Windows 10 downloaded this 'mandatory' update to my AMD GPU (as part of the 4500U AMD series). It has not installed itself.... yet.

However, I have installed the AMD latest drivers - 2020.11.1.
 

I thought as of November, 5, this behavior has changed. Apparently not.

 

So, why I Windows bugging me with this install? And can I prevent this download from installing?

And, in case it installs itself, can I uninstall this and via the "wushowhide" tool deselect it?

 

 

 

WU-AMD.jpg

Edited by kiddingguy
image uploaded
Link to post
Share on other sites
HoochieMamma

By any chance did you install 2020.11.1 with the "clean install" option?

Link to post
Share on other sites
kiddingguy
3 minutes ago, HoochieMamma said:

By any chance did you install 2020.11.1 with the "clean install" option?

No, I have not.

Just ran the full exe-update with no clean install/factory reset boxes checked.

 

WU-AMD2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
HoochieMamma

Got ya, this exact same issue occurred to me when I enabled it on my wife's 4700U lenovo. WU would try and take over and install an older version.

I would try and do what I did, let WU install the old version then install the real over over the top and see if it stops. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
kiddingguy
3 minutes ago, HoochieMamma said:

Got ya, this exact same issue occurred to me when I enabled it on my wife's 4700U lenovo. WU would try and take over and install an older version.

I would try and do what I did, let WU install the old version then install the real over over the top and see if it stops. 

I have restarted my notebook. Still there.

I can disable this via the wushowhide-tool, though.

 

Guess it's the better option, right?

 

WU-AMD3.jpg

 

It's not the first time this behavior of Windows is showing itself.

Why is that? Also with drivers from 2017 and earlier showing up randomly...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
HoochieMamma

Yeah you can do that, the only issue is when WU gets an "update" then you'll have the same issue reoccur

Link to post
Share on other sites
kiddingguy
19 minutes ago, HoochieMamma said:

Yeah you can do that, the only issue is when WU gets an "update" then you'll have the same issue reoccur

Yes, I think I can handle this :D

I hate the fact that Windows determines what's best for me & try to shove this update down when there are newer drivers released and already installed....

Link to post
Share on other sites
HoochieMamma

Yeah I know, that clean install issue for me wasted so much of my time when it kept happening. 😡

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.