Building a system for my MIL

+jnelsoninjax

My wife has asked me to build a system for her mother. She will just be watching (streaming) TV/Movies and doing Facebook stuff. I pieced a system together, but want some more input on it:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME A320M-K Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($55.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($70.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($69.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Video Card  ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Monitor: Acer SB220Q bi 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor  ($93.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $728.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-20 15:10 EST-0500

I do not know a budget at the moment or when this will be expected.

Jim K

Seems fine at a quick glance.

Any reason for the Nvidia 1030 though?  That CPU has a built-in GPU and the motherboard supports video out.  Furthermore, I believe the Vega 8 (in that CPU) is pretty much on par with the 1030 (if not better)

• Like 1
Superuser
4 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Any reason for the Nvidia 1030 though?  

I was going to ask the same thing... Put that $80 toward maybe a better AMD Ryzen chip (which would also upgrade the built-in GPU). Isn't 16 GB of RAM also a bit much for Grandma?

+jnelsoninjax
11 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Any reason for the Nvidia 1030 though?  That CPU has a built-in GPU and the motherboard supports video out.  Furthermore, I believe the Vega 8 (in that CPU) is pretty much on par with the 1030 (if not better)

No reason at all, I did not notice the built in GPU

1 minute ago, Superuser said:

I was going to ask the same thing... Put that $80 toward maybe a better AMD Ryzen chip (which would also upgrade the built-in GPU). Isn't 16 GB of RAM also a bit much for Grandma?

What would you recommend?

Brandon H

yeah as the others said, drop the GPU and you should be good; the Ryzen 3 you selected has integrated Vega 8 graphics that should be just fine for their needs.

Brandon H
9 minutes ago, Superuser said:

nah, the Ryzen 3 will be just fine for the needs described. Could do 2 4GB sticks to save a bit money but I'm of the mindset that 8GB is the bare minimum RAM required anymore so having the extra doesn't hurt if it's in the budget (Y) 

Superuser
22 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

nah, the Ryzen 3 will be just fine for the needs described. Could do 2 4GB sticks to save a bit money but I'm of the mindset that 8GB is the bare minimum RAM required anymore so having the extra doesn't hurt if it's in the budget (Y) 

I was just saying he could get a better AMD Ryzen chipset with the savings from the unneeded GPU. In your words, "extra doesn't hurt".  LOL On RAM... I have 16 GB of RAM here so I am not so sure Grandma needs that much but that is real easy to upgrade in the future if necessary.

Edited by Superuser
  • Like 1
adrynalyne

Be careful with this motherboard. If the BIOS isn't updated (and you need a gen1 Ryzen to do it), it won't work with that CPU.

5 minutes ago, Superuser said:

I was just saying he could get a better AMD Ryzen chipset with the saving from the unneeded GPU. In your words, "extra doesn't hurt".  LOL On RAM... I have 16 GB of RAM here so I am not so sure Grandma needs that much but that is real easy to upgrade in the future if necessary.

Go big or go home. 128GB here. ;)

Steven P.

Looks good to me as well and I agree with everyone about dropping the GPU. 

+jnelsoninjax
21 minutes ago, Superuser said:

I was just saying he could get a better AMD Ryzen chipset with the savings from the unneeded GPU. In your words, "extra doesn't hurt".  LOL On RAM... I have 16 GB of RAM here so I am not so sure Grandma needs that much but that is real easy to upgrade in the future if necessary.

Whereas you are correct in your statement, my MIL would not be able to do anything to the computer except for turning on and off. I figured 16 GB's of RAM is not bad and not overly expensive. Also my wife lives ~300 miles from her mother and does not drive, and she doesn't know much more about computers.

Steven P.
10 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Whereas you are correct in your statement, my MIL would not be able to do anything to the computer except for turning on and off. I figured 16 GB's of RAM is not bad and not overly expensive. Also my wife lives ~300 miles from her mother and does not drive, and she doesn't know much more about computers.

Go with 16GB because you know what a resource hog Chrome is with Farmville type games on FB Lol  hehehehe

• Haha 3
+jnelsoninjax
2 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Go with 16GB because you know what a resource hog Chrome is with Farmville type games on FB Lol  hehehehe

Actually, I don't... I don't use Chrome and do not have a Facebook account... :D

Circaflex

Have you given a pre-built, although customized, unit from a large OEM a thought? Building custom rigs is fun, but in reality support is a pain in the butt. One thing I learned with friends and family when putting together custom builds, if something goes wrong, you're probably the first person they will go to and then I was always left playing the trial and error game to determine what was wrong. If it happened to be hardware, under warranty, I had to deal with each individual OEM. Not to mention, new parts arriving DOA and having to work around that. I stopped recommending custom built units to friends and family solely based off of this and started pointing them in the direction of large OEMs who offer support, not to mention pre-built units are no longer what they once were and are perfectly capable. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1
+jnelsoninjax
Just now, Circaflex said:

Have you given a pre-built, although customized, unit from a large OEM a thought? Building custom rigs is fun, but in reality support is a pain in the butt. One thing I learned with friends and family when putting together custom builds, if something goes wrong, you're probably the first person they will go to and then I was always left playing the trial and error game to determine what was wrong. If it happened to be hardware, under warranty, I had to deal with each individual OEM. I stopped recommending custom built units to friends and family solely based off of this and started pointing them in the direction of large OEMs who offer support, not to mention pre-built units are no longer what they once were and are perfectly capable. Just my 2 cents.

I'm all for it, can you recommend a decent one in the $500-$700 range?

Circaflex

Let me look around, I happened to see Dell is having massive holiday sales and an upcoming Black Friday sale when I ordered a laptop the other evening; Dell Deals

+jnelsoninjax

Upon further discussions with my wife, she told me that it will probably be February before she really starts talking to her mother about a new computer, and I think that pre-built might be the best way of doing things.