Constant TDR related errors, will using timer fixes eliminate these errors?

Will applying fixes mentioned on this page resolve?
https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1075781-tweak-enable-hpet-in-bios-and-os-for-better-performance-and-fps/

I've changed hardware components but this error hasn't gone away.

20 minutes ago, resolved2game said:

I've changed hardware components but this error hasn't gone away.

What hardware have you changed? What are your current specs?

TDR seems related to the graphics card, have you tried updating the drivers?

When did the issue start?

In

2 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

What hardware have you changed? What are your current specs?

TDR seems related to the graphics card, have you tried updating the drivers?

When did the issue start?

The issue started from the time I built the PC. I've changed 3 graphics cards. I rather not say system configuration. I can tell I changed all the components at least 3 times, I downgraded to Windows 7, downgraded drivers, and they didn't resolve the problem.

I ran WinTimerTester and in QueryPerformanceCounter it shows 13.31818MHz but the QPC/GTC ratio is 0.9*** not 1.0

1 minute ago, resolved2game said:

I rather not say system configuration.

It's going to be difficult to help troubleshoot the issue if we don't know the specs. :/

And you say that you have changed all of the components at least three times? That's impressive, since that would mean you have all the components to build three separate computers! And each one of them doesn't work?! That's just weird...

Are you doing any kind of overclocking on the computer?

12 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

It's going to be difficult to help troubleshoot the issue if we don't know the specs. :/

And you say that you have changed all of the components at least three times? That's impressive, since that would mean you have all the components to build three separate computers! And each one of them doesn't work?! That's just weird...

Are you doing any kind of overclocking on the computer?

I replaced them, I gave back the parts with which I got these errors and got replacements. I don't have 3 sets of those parts.

There is no overclock, everything is on default in BIOS/UEFI.

What does it mean if the QPC is showing 10MHz, if I disabled HPET. TimerBench shows unknown 10.00MHz when HPET is disabled.

How can I force Windows 10 to use TSC instead of HPET?

Something doesn't make sense. How did you know which part was giving the errors? From my point of view, if a computer is giving the error and then I replace a part but the error is still occuring, the part I replaced isn't the problem.

9 minutes ago, resolved2game said:

What does it mean if the QPC is showing 10MHz, if I disabled HPET. TimerBench shows unknown 10.00MHz when HPET is disabled.

How can I force Windows 10 to use TSC instead of HPET?

This is outside of my wheelhouse, but the 10.00MHz when HPET is disabled seems normal. Doing a look around I found this thread on another forum. As mentioned there, if you disable HPET then TSC is used automatically.

6 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Something doesn't make sense. How did you know which part was giving the errors? From my point of view, if a computer is giving the error and then I replace a part but the error is still occuring, the part I replaced isn't the problem.

This is outside of my wheelhouse, but the 10.00MHz when HPET is disabled seems normal. Doing a look around I found this thread on another forum. As mentioned there, if you disable HPET then TSC is used automatically.

Process of elimination. First I thought it was the PSU, so I replaced it, then motherboard, then OS, then drivers, after that I replaced the graphics card.

I thought TSC would in ~3MHz range because of this post on this thread:

I'm not aware that Windows 10 changed it in anything higher than 1809.

1 hour ago, resolved2game said:

I've been going at this all wrong...what are the errors that you're receiving? I'm stupid, that should have been my first question! I just assumed that this was breaking the system, but for all I know it could be like an event viewer warning error, expected and nothing to worry about.

I've also moved this thread to the hardware hangout, I think it's better suited there than in the computer gaming section.

1 minute ago, Nick H. said:

I've been going at this all wrong...what are the errors that you're receiving? I'm stupid, that should have been my first question! I just assumed that this was breaking the system, but for all I know it could be like an event viewer warning error, expected and nothing to worry about.

I've also moved this thread to the hardware hangout, I think it's better suited there than in the computer gaming section.

So if I'm running a game, it just crashes to the desktop. In Sottr, Rottr, I'm getting device hung, device removed errors at crash.

So is it just the Tomb Raider games that crash, or is it any game on this system? Is your system meeting the minimum requirements for the games? Again, it would be helpful to have the system specs.

And a question that I guess has to be asked: is all the software (OS, games) legitimate? It has to be asked since if it isn't then a) it would be against policy to help, and b) there's no telling what could be different compared to a legitimate version that might be causing the issue.

Yeah, we need to know your specs in order to help you further.

Unless this isn't your computer or your university's... This a school question?

On 29/11/2020 at 20:49, Nick H. said:

So is it just the Tomb Raider games that crash, or is it any game on this system? Is your system meeting the minimum requirements for the games? Again, it would be helpful to have the system specs.

And a question that I guess has to be asked: is all the software (OS, games) legitimate? It has to be asked since if it isn't then a) it would be against policy to help, and b) there's no telling what could be different compared to a legitimate version that might be causing the issue.

How are you going to verify if the software is legitimate or not? It is a useless and stupid question.

11 minutes ago, resolved2game said:

How are you going to verify if the software is legitimate or not? It is a useless and stupid question.

Yeah you are going to go far here. Don’t bite the hand that feeds you, @Nick H. is the only one that is currently trying to help you. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, resolved2game said:

I'm not going to verify if the software is legitimate or not. But there is no point in helping with pirated software for two reasons:

1. Neowin does not help with pirated software. It's in the Forum Rules:

No Illegal Software/Copyrighted Discussion.
    Discussions involving warez, cracks, security circumvention, using torrents for downloading copyrighted or illegal material is strictly prohibited. This includes music files or other unauthorized software. Asking for help in doing so will cause warns or suspensions of accounts.

2.  There is no telling what the differences are in pirated software that make it work. For example, it could have something removed to bypass the security but that same thing is then being called upon by the game and that is why it crashes.

And so, if the software is not legitimate there is no point wasting time and continuing the troubleshooting. We're not going to call the police on you, but you won't find any assistance here either.

With that said, your response tells me everything I think I need to know so I'll be locking this thread now. If you think that is a mistake free to drop me a PM to explain yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Nick H. locked this topic