How to can i install Windows 10 via USB

warzu

I already download Windows 7 and copied it on my USB so can i use it as it is to install it in my other PC.

+virtorio

Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft web site. It will create a bootable USB drive for you.

• Like 3
Nick H.

Why have you downloaded Windows 7 if you want to install Windows 10?

Download the media creation tool from Microsoft and go through the steps there. When that is done, reboot the computer and boot from the USB key (press F12 at the BIOS to get the option) and then follow the onscreen steps to install. That's all I needed to do, and I installed Windows about 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1
warzu
1 hour ago, virtorio said:

Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft web site. It will create a bootable USB drive for you.

ok

warzu
1 hour ago, Nick H. said:

Why have you downloaded Windows 7 if you want to install Windows 10?

Download the media creation tool from Microsoft and go through the steps there. When that is done, reboot the computer and boot from the USB key (press F12 at the BIOS to get the option) and then follow the onscreen steps to install. That's all I needed to do, and I installed Windows about 2 weeks ago.

as some one was saying that i need to change something within BIOS before connecting USB. So do i need to change BIOS settings or i just follow your steps.

Nick H.
4 minutes ago, warzu said:

as some one was saying that i need to change something within BIOS before connecting USB. So do i need to change BIOS settings or i just follow your steps.

I can't be certain since I don't have the information about your exact setup. What I would suggest is that you follow the steps I mentioned. If you do not see the USB key as a bootable option after pressing F12 then you may need to change a setting in the BIOS.

• Like 1
+warwagon

We don't know the brand of computer you are working with, so i'll just throw two common ones out. As far as USB, I RARELY have to go in the bios on a customers machine and enable USB booting. Normally, you just plug the flash drive, turn the system on and press the correct "Boot menu" key. Then select the USB devices and it "Should  boot" 

Dell

Bios setup - F2 / Boot menu - F12

HP

Bios setup - F10 / Boot Menu - F9

Those are the only two I have memorized (and the most common that I see). The fact computer companies didn't standardize the keys, annoys me.

Brandon H
3 minutes ago, warwagon said:

We don't know the brand of computer you are working with, so i'll just throw two common ones out. As far as USB, I RARELY have to go in the bios on a customers machine and enable USB booting. Normally, you just plug the flash drive, turn the system on and press the correct "Boot menu" key. Then select the USB devices and it "Should  boot" 

Dell

Bios setup - F2 / Boot menu - F12

HP

Bios setup -F10 / Boot Menu F9

Those are the only two I have memorized (and the most common that I see). The fact computer companies didn't standardize the keys, annoys me.

I've been finding that a lot of OEMs are starting to switch to Esc for the boot menu. It's not completely standardized yet but it's becoming more widely accepted and used it seems

• Like 1
Brandon H
On 07/12/2020 at 05:54, warzu said:

On 07/12/2020 at 06:00, Nick H. said:

I can't be certain since I don't have the information about your exact setup. What I would suggest is that you follow the steps I mentioned. If you do not see the USB key as a bootable option after pressing F12 then you may need to change a setting in the BIOS.

it's unusual but it's definitely possible USB Booting is disabled by default in your UEFI/BIOS. Or some mobos skip USB Booting detection if Fast Boot is enabled as well.