Just changed from an Xperia XZ3 to a Google Pixel 4a

So my XZ3 has been causing me issues for about 6 months, it just won't connect to the cell network, or is connected but doesn't work. Tried a new sim card, factory reset... but I think the antenna is bust after dropping it too many times.

I wasn't due an upgrade on my contract until May 2021, but I basically had 2 options. Claim on the bank account insurance, and get the a reconditioned version of the same handset; this would cost £100 for the excess. 

or

Settle the remainder on the contract (£103), pick a new handset and contract, and pay less PCM for more data... clearly I went down this route.

Phone arrived today, and I have to say it's a lil' beaut. It's 50g lighter than the XZ3 which is noticeable, and slightly smaller. The ZX3 is a beast though, it's hard to use with 1 hand. Transition process was super-simple with the copy device adapter. I just used a USB-C cord to attach the 2 devices together, and left it for 20mins to copy everything over. I was tempted with the 4a 5G edition, but it's a lot more expensive and I don't need 5G for what I do.

Are you liking the Pixel 4? I was going to buy one, but I saw that all the tech reviews were saying not to buy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, it's great. It's not a feature-phone, and its by no means premium build, but it does what it does very well. I'm very happy with it.

17 hours ago, spikey_richie said:

Yea, it's great. It's not a feature-phone, and its by no means premium build, but it does what it does very well. I'm very happy with it.

I have been very happy with my Pixel 3a XL, I am considering upgrading to the 4 or 5, but have not decided yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to my current Pixel 3a last year, and I am quite happy with it.  The 4a is actually cheaper than the 3a was last year - and thus got my recommendation as an alternative to it.  I call the 3a (and 4a) "utility infielder" cell phones - they don't cost a mint, have a solid feature set, and are both useful out of the box, and can still run non-stock AOSP if you want.