Monitor recommendations

I'm looking to replace my 24" Dell U2415 (WUXGA) with something a little bigger. 

I'm using it mostly for coding and office work, but I do enjoy the occasional gaming session.

Anyone out there using a QHD or UWQHD monitor that they recommend? 

Well you will have to leave the ultrasharp family for higher refresh rate. 

Sticking in that family, I did the same as you, went from 3 if those to one of these. 
https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-38-curved-monitor-u3818dw/apd/210-amrc

Its a bit larger, but for coding and productivity, it is quite nice. 

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-32-curved-gaming-monitor-s3220dgf/apd/210-atyt/monitors-monitor-accessories
I recently moved to 2 of these, because I wanted a higher refresh rate too (and my Samsung Odyssey G9 was lost during shipping). 2 of these is cheaper than above. It’s not quite as nice in some areas, but it’s a good compromise for me to get higher refresh rate and still have a reasonable resolution without scaling in Windows. 

You might want to check LG. You will pay more, but they might have what you are looking for. 

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

I recently moved to 2 of these, because I wanted a higher refresh rate too (and my Samsung Odyssey G9 was lost during shipping). 2 of these is cheaper than above. It’s not quite as nice in some areas, but it’s a good compromise for me to get higher refresh rate and still have a reasonable resolution without scaling in Windows. 

How was it moving from the UltraSharp IPS to the VA panel? That Dell gaming monitor is $349 at BestBuy this week.

My biggest concern is my eyes.  I spend hours in front of my monitor, I need something with good text readability.

27 minutes ago, Joe User said:

How was it moving from the UltraSharp IPS to the VA panel? That Dell gaming monitor is $349 at BestBuy this week.

My biggest concern is my eyes.  I spend hours in front of my monitor, I need something with good text readability.

I see some occasional weird cheese cloth like weave pattern at with HDR when I look really close and on stark white, but it seems to depend on the program too. There is a trade-off there, but within a day, I stopped noticing it.

The blacks are better than my IPS was, and its brighter. I don't worry about viewing angles as its curved and I am right in front of them. I've worked 60+ hours each week for the last two weeks, one spent with the Ultrasharp and one with the two VA panels. Eye strain hasn't been an issue and during the day, the extra brightness has been welcome. Don't run with them in HDR mode unless you need it though, it will definitely cause an unwelcome strain. There is also a blue light reduction mode.

Image quality wise, the IPS was a bit better but not as bright and blacks were more washed out. However, having the higher refresh rate makes up for a lot of that and even though its only HDR400, it looks pretty darn nice for the price.  349 is a great deal, I paid 449 for each. Its been less than a week, wonder if they will give me credit.

Honestly, I would try it and it compare next to your IPS and return if it doesn't work out. 

LG has some high refresh rate IPS monitors, but you will pay for the privilege. I wanted two, and I don't do any graphical work so I could stand for a little less color accuracy and viewing angles aren't an issue. My biggest complaint on these monitors is the lack of input ports. My Ultrasharp had a full kvm solution and USB C w/ 99W power delivery. These don't quite cut it there.

Edited by adrynalyne