Holy Old Thread Bump Batman!

Steven P.

I have purchased a plugin from the Invision Board Marketplace called Auto Lock Topics. It basically auto locks topics, and we've set ours for older than 90 days. 

Right now I have disabled the automated message all these locked topics will get because we have over 980K topics that will be locked, and thanks to me not thinking a bit more about the settings, some topics were bumped to the top of forums, which defeats the whole purpose 😛 They are now silently locked, and when the task has completed to 90 days ago I will enable a message that suggests a new topic be started, or to contact a moderator for unlocking (in certain cases we will allow this, like for returning seasons of TV shows etc).

Anyway just wanted to update you all on why some old topics from 2001 might be showing up on your feeds.

• Like 4
Mindovermaster

I believe I suggested this years ago. IIRC...

• Like 1
+warwagon

Can you make an exception for bumps from the OP? So if I post something after 90 days to the "New Me" thread, will it autolock?

• Like 1
Brandon H
3 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Can you make an exception for bumps from the OP? So if I post something after 90 days to the "New Me" thread, will it autolock?

the plugin doesn't seem to have those kind of settings (unfortunately) that I saw from Steve's screenshots of it so if needed you can message any of us and we'll open it back up.

threads like that one are why I asked the timer be set to at least 90 days instead of Steve's original thought of 30 :)

cork1958

Personally, I think older topics should just be deleted. Maybe the search function would work better then.

+warwagon
9 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Personally, I think older topics should just be deleted. Maybe the search function would work better then.

ya, lets not delete older topics. I love looking through old topics.

+E.Worm Jimmy

90 days since the last post i assume, not since the topic start?  LOL

yeah, some topics seem to be designed for long term, even if people don't post too often.  30 days would be crazy.   even 90 days is pushing it.

+warwagon
8 minutes ago, E.Worm Jimmy said:

90 days since the last post i assume, not since the topic start?  LOL

yeah, some topics seem to be designed for long term, even if people don't post too often.  30 days would be crazy.   even 90 days is pushing it.

id say 1 year

Mindovermaster
22 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

That's actually not possible with the million+ posts on here. Would take week/months to sort through all the garbage. Better be closed than deleted, easier.

cork1958
31 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

That's actually not possible with the million+ posts on here. Would take week/months to sort through all the garbage. Better be closed than deleted, easier.

At least you called it what most of it is, garbage. :)

I could see saving old topics if it was something that had to do with a computer issue or something similar and was marked as solved. Then it might help some one else out in the future.

• Thanks 2
Mindovermaster

5 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

At least you called it what most of it is, garbage. :)

I could see saving old topics if it was something that had to do with a computer issue or something similar and was marked as solved. Then it might help some one else out in the future.

Well XP or even 7 stuff is no longer applicable... BUT... It may be for just a person who's looking for help with older hardware for say, retro gaming.

But that old "garbage" doesn't really need to be jumped from 10+ years ago. Even IF they have a problem.

+xrobwx71
26 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Or simply for nostalgias sake.

• 2 weeks later...
+warwagon

It's sad to now see every guide thread I created all locked :(

Raa

Oh finally! I thought this would've been a thing years ago. :P

nekrosoft13

90 days is to short

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Steven P.
      Turn off Topic Suggestions and Interests at Twitter with this handy script
      by Steven Parker

One morning while checking out a link to a tweet directly on Twitter, it showed I had an unread notification, but this was not so on Tweeten. Intrigued, I went and had a look and saw that Twitter was suggesting for me to follow topics on "Manchester United FC"... huh? As a Portsmouth FC fan that follows the official club Twitter handle as well as several people affiliated with Pompey (including the owner of the club) it makes me wonder why Twitter is suggesting a football club I clearly have no interest in. In fact, the whole Topic Suggestions feature is annoying, I keep dismissing them and more come each day, whatever happened to just letting users sign up to lists or search for interests themselves?

Topics initially launched back at the end of 2019 as a means to opt into topics of interest; it plugs into "Interests", which is a tracking feature that tries to make sense of your behavior when interacting with Twitter and then builds a profile of what you're most likely interested in, which in turn then suggests those interests as Topics to follow.

Anyway, there is a way to turn them off thanks to some code uploaded to Github that you can run in the browser dev tools console (which was spotted via Reddit), but it requires a lot of patience, and you will also be forced to uncheck new "Interests", or should I say "Topic Suggestions", that get added to the list every once in a while.

First of all, go to Twitter.com and click on ... More (on the left side of the page) Then click Settings & Privacy > Privacy & Safety > Ad Preferences > Interests
      Here is a direct link to the page https://twitter.com/settings/your_twitter_data/twitter_interests Once you are on that page you will see a long list of checked interests, they will all be enabled unless you have already manually disabled some Interests.

On your keyboard hit the F12 key, which will open dev tools in Edge, Chrome and Firefox. You can also right-click anywhere on the page and select "Inspect" Switch to the Console tab in dev tools Where you see a new line with > paste the following code and hit the Enter key to run it. Be aware that after a while the page will say "Twitter is over capacity... " but it will look like it is still unchecking list items, it isn't. Manually stop the script process by reloading the page, Wait a few minutes and then restart the script. You may have to repeat this process four or five times. On Github, the original code has a timer set of 100, but upon testing and reading the comments I had more success with fewer timeouts by upping it to 1000.

As you can see in our video, I was already quite a ways into running it (by this time I had to restart it for the fourth time) before getting a "Twitter is over capacity..." error. To be clear, the way this page is set up also creates the overcapacity error if you manually uncheck each line without using the script. The page reloads in the background to save the preference, and the further down the page you get the more likely it is that it will fail.

So our suggestion is to let the script run with an ample timer like 1000 or more, and when it starts failing, manually reload the page and wait a few minutes before pasting the script in again and running it in the console.

It is like certain platforms enjoy burying settings or make them incredibly hard to find and disable. What happened to when tech was supposed to add value to our lives? Now it seems like it just makes for an annoying garbagefest to deal with.

Anyway, this won't be for everyone, but if you do decide to use it, let us know how long it took you to get everything unchecked. In our testing, it took us one hour and fifteen minutes from start to finish, including the waiting to run it again in between. Oh, and you can still follow Topics by typing in something of interest on Twitter and then electing to follow the applicable Topic.

• By Steven P.
      Thanks to some bug fixing work by @Redmak the comments (and reply to comment) box is now dark instead of eye blindingly white 😂😂

Prev / Next articles are now stacked and stand out a bit more below articles

Earlier this week @DaveLeggremoved some javascript and cleaned up some code that was no longer used (for example we now only use one advertiser to display in page ads, before it was two, which required two sets of javascripts).

For guests we completely removed the CKeditor javascript from loading in the background (some 500kb) this was overlooked and a bug, because guests could never comment so it makes no sense to load the editor at all.

A future update will add some lazy loading, so that certain heavier elements (like the editor) will only load once they are in focus on the page.

BTW a little known fact is that guests can enable Darkside on our news site with the theme icon toggle at the top of the right rail sidebar:

It's also at the top right of all articles (except reviews, which are full width pages).

• By Steven P.
      We have purchased a plugin that automatically locks a thread after a year of no replies. We came to this length of time after initial testing and feedback from members, so thanks for that!

There are several forums that are not included with the autolocking of threads, they are The Media Room, A Collection of Essential Guides, Reviews by Members for Members, Science News & Discussion, Members Metropolis & Soapbox forums (member only forums) Backstage Pass (subscriber only forum) and this Site Announcements forum.

Pinned topics also are not auto locked.

If you come across a topic that should be unlocked you can report the first post in that topic with a message to our staff why it should be unlocked.
    • By Hamza Jawad
      Dynamics 365 for Project Service Automation gets a host of bug fixes in latest update
      by Hamza Jawad

Microsoft unveiled 74 new features for Dynamics 365 in early access as part of its 2019 release wave 2 last week. Some of the updates to the product line of services in recent days include new capacity-related settings for Power BI, support for 39 more languages for Customer Service Insights, and Dynamics NAV being integrated with Business Central as a more modular solution.

Now, the tech giant has rolled out a new update to Dynamics 365 for Project Service Automation (PSA). For those unaware, the application enables organizations to deliver project-based services with better and more efficient planning and management.

The latest update bumps PSA to version 3.10.0.31 and brings performance upgrades, improvements to its quality, and usability enhancements in the form of bug fixes. The following list showcases these fixes, divided based on the sections in which they've been applied.

This update is compatible with all releases in Dynamics 365 version 9, and can be downloaded by visiting the solutions page in the Admin Center for Dynamics 365 online. Notably, a minor update has also been rolled out for PSA legacy channel 2.x, which includes a single bug fix. However, Microsoft has reminded customers of the fact that legacy versions of both Field Service and PSA solutions will reach end of life in February next year. Those who want to upgrade before the deadline can do so through the help of this quick start guide.

• By Steven P.
      Just over a week ago, we enabled an anti-adblock solution to Neowin because according to measured stats, 51% block ads on the site that costs money to run to try and bring you a service that doesn't go down every five minutes and is properly hosted on multiple servers that we have purchased on hosting that isn't cheap.

All of our advertising is inline, no popups! And while we do show larger and more ads to guests, it is even fewer and smaller ads if you create a free member account. All we are asking is to help a little bit toward the running costs of the site. This is why we have advertisements in the first place, and even sponsored posts that members suggested we do to try and offset advertising (but it only accounts for a small portion of revenue) can be hidden by members.

Members can hide sponsored posts (you have to be signed in to see the option).

So I really feel we do a lot to appease members with the different amount of ads vs guests and being able to block sponsored posts, but of course people still whine about this without offering a viable alternative, you will always have those people 😛 

For this reason, and following a week of testing there's now an option to watch a 30sec video ad which disables the popup for 24 hours, meaning even those members can continue adblocking, with a slight twist. If you decide to "continue with adblocker" the first two page views are "free" after that the popup will return after every page.

The popup with all the options, including a way to subscribe for $28 a year for an adfree experience (including blocking of all trackers).

Of course the alternative is to whitelist us, stop visiting Neowin or brag about this in one of the two threads in the "Soapbox" forum, those who brag about blocking ads and post workarounds to add to their adblockers are moved to a "special" member group so that those members use less of our resources, which cost money.

I wish everything was free or that we could rely solely on subscriptions and the kindness of hosts and server manufacturers, but that isn't reality. If you want us to stick around for another 19 years we have to have the means to be able to grow, and with over half of our readers blocking that revenue stream, I can only tell you that it is getting harder and harder to do.