Multiple BSOD's, all seem to be stemming from 2 or 3 files?

In the last 2 days, I have had 3 or 4 BSOD's, all with the same bug check value, Whocrashed reports it this way:

On Mon 12/21/2020 13:55:35 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122120-15515-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: amdppm.sys (amdppm+0x2ec7)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x1, 0x1E00, 0xFFFFF8037ACFA320, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\amdppm.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Processor Device Driver
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs (thermal issue).
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. The description of the module may give a hint about a non responding device in the system.

On Mon 12/21/2020 13:55:35 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x807322)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x1, 0x1E00, 0xFFFFF8037ACFA320, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_a51067c0ac557884\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.89
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.89
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs (thermal issue).
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.89 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

On Mon 12/21/2020 13:39:01 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122120-16921-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x807322)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0xFFFFF8076AAFA320)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_a51067c0ac557884\nvlddmkm.sys
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.89 , NVIDIA Corporation).

On Sun 12/20/2020 10:46:20 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122020-15250-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0xFFFFF803380FA320)

The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupted:
C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\PoW32kWatchdog-20201221-1338.dmp

So my question is, should I roll back the Nvidia driver to a previous version? It seems that it is causing the majority of the crashes. What else should I check for?

This has happened at least 6 more times today. I have run sfc and verified that there are no integrity issues with the system files. I have run PatchMyPC and verified that all my installed software is up to date. I have verified that Windows is up to date, and I just verified that all my hardware level drivers are up to date, so I am left with no idea what the heck is causing all these BSOD's, with the exception of the Nvidia driver.

Assuming it's not something some simple like the GPU driver...

Maybe consider a RAM checking program? (i.e. https://www.memtest86.com/ ; or http://www.memtest.org/ ) ; or try one stick of RAM at a time.

if not that, maybe a possible PSU issue? ; if you got a spare PSU from another computer, try testing that on the computer that's acting up.

if not that, unless it some petty stuff like a loose hardware connection... maybe it's a more serious issue. or you can always try what you mentioned which is to switch back to a previous NVIDIA driver just to see what happens. because unless there was some security fixes etc, it's probably not a big deal if you run a slightly older GPU driver.

p.s. hopefully this did not cause any problems for you... https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-fixes-windows-10-chkdsk-issue-that-corrupted-disks-and-caused-blue-screens

Edited by ThaCrip

Hello,

Are the respective firmwares for the motherboard and for the video card up to date?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

2 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

Are the respective firmwares for the motherboard and for the video card up to date?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I honestly do not know how to check firmware on the motherboard or GPU, so I can not answer for sure

41 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I honestly do not know how to check firmware on the motherboard or GPU, so I can not answer for sure

you could download and run CPU-7 and look under the motherboard section and that should tell you the firmware version. Then go to the motherboard support website and look for the latest bios version number and see if it matches or is newer than what you have.

image.png.9897ba6565f3b76222f408c9bc7dcc21.png

I would uninstall the nvidia drivers completely, shut down.... and reseat the card / cables... let windows install a generic WHQL driver. Run that for a while, see if any more BSOD's happen... if not, then install the Nvidia GeForce Experience, and let it check for & update the drivers. Also, be sure to check the option to do a clean install. Hope that helps!

While the case is open, check the model and revision of your motherboard, and verify any potential new bios.... 

3 hours ago, warwagon said:

you could download and run CPU-7 and look under the motherboard section and that should tell you the firmware version. Then go to the motherboard support website and look for the latest bios version number and see if it matches or is newer than what you have.

image.png.9897ba6565f3b76222f408c9bc7dcc21.png

So the installed version is 3103, and the latest version was released on 12/10 is 4007, so should I update the BIOS?

Edit to add: I may have solved this issue last night. One of my outdoor security cameras kept loosing signal despite be less than 20 feet from the router. As I was looking through the logs I came across an error message that I did not understand, so I googled it, and it turns out that the issue (at least with the camera) was hardware accelerated decode. It had changed from default to Nvidia cuda, and apparently the camera does not support that feature, so when I changed it back to default, the signal magically restored itself, and I went overnight without any BSOD's. I also went ahead and flashed the latest BIOS as well.