taskbar / taskband combined app tabbed preview too thick

mickrussom

I'm struggling with the taskbar / task band combined app preview tabs being too thick.

Previously I was able to fit about 37-38-39 preview tabs on the stack in 4k.

Now I am unable to fit more than 29-30 and have to scroll through that list.

Does anyone know how to control this height? I am able to have many more stacked tabs on an old Windows 8.1 system with 4k even in "Scale and Layout 200%" mode to make stuff more readable.

"Use small buttons" taskbar / taskband setting really helped get the extra real estate I need on the taskband/taskbar, but I can't find anyway to shrink down the spaced between previewed stacked tabs.

version 20H2 19042.685

windows10_20h2_taskbar_tab_app_preview_tabs_too_thick1a.png

Steven P.

I doubt you will be able to achieve this without using a third party theme manager like WindowBlinds, that app will let you create your own theme and you will be able to set title bar and other element heights and look and feel, it has been a while since I've used it myself. WindowBlinds has a Windows 3.11 theme I think which already has thin title bars and other elements that are more like the Windows 3.x interface.

Windows 10 doesn't have a much in the way of a theme manager anymore, and in fact what we used to be able to adjust is now part of "High Contrast" settings and you can only change colors now, not fonts or height or anything else like we could in Windows 7.

SNAG-0001.png

mickrussom
6 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I doubt you will be able to achieve this without using a third party theme manager like WindowBlinds, that app will let you create your own theme and you will be able to set title bar and other element heights and look and feel, it has been a while since I've used it myself. WindowBlinds has a Windows 3.11 theme I think which already has thin title bars and other elements that are more like the Windows 3.x interface.

Windows 10 doesn't have a much in the way of a theme manager anymore, and in fact what we used to be able to adjust is now part of "High Contrast" settings and you can only change colors now, not fonts or height or anything else like we could in Windows 7.

Thanks, that's too bad considering this was just working on a Windows 8 rig, and they gave small taskbar icons on Windows 10 and they made the preview icons extremely fat. The UX people @ msft have really gone downhill.