MSI X570 Gaming Edge - Boots, but doesn't boot

Okay...finally had to break down and upgrade.

However, I ran into an interesting issue. The X570 I purchased, and backed up by the Ryzen 7 3700X... won't boot with the 4 pin power connector for the CPU. 

She only boots with the 8 pin. So.. 8 pin power, yes, 12 pin power, no.

Any one else ran into any similar scenarios?

Or.. is that a redundant power connector for those who crank up the voltages while OC'ing?

Edited by xMorpheousx416

Where are you getting 12-pin connector? For CPU power either it uses 4 pin or 8 pin. There's no 3rd option.

Now I think it... Unless that 3rd one is a PCI-e power cable? They shouldn't be compatible with onboard connectors.

2 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

That’s what I’ve read...but YMMV. I know my 3950x won’t boot without it. 

I started reading up on that... seems that certain CPUs for the board, or for overclocking.. it would need that extra 4 pin power connector. 

It took me a bit to track down a PC store that had another 8 pin to a 4x4 (split) cable, and then every time I tried to use it, it wouldn't boot. Unplug it.. and booted in no time. So.. unless I try to crank up the voltages, which I never do.. she should run just fine.

I do a lot of video encoding, so I'll keep an eye on how much she consumes.. even though the CPU is 65 watt.

Where are you getting 12-pin connector?

It's in the top left corner of the CPU.

3.jpg

14 minutes ago, xMorpheousx416 said:

I started reading up on that... seems that certain CPUs for the board, or for overclocking.. it would need that extra 4 pin power connector. 

It took me a bit to track down a PC store that had another 8 pin to a 4x4 (split) cable, and then every time I tried to use it, it wouldn't boot. Unplug it.. and booted in no time. So.. unless I try to crank up the voltages, which I never do.. she should run just fine.

I do a lot of video encoding, so I'll keep an eye on how much she consumes.. even though the CPU is 65 watt.

It's in the top left corner of the CPU.

3.jpg

Oh it’s only 65w? That might be why mine requires more, it’s 105w. 

Oh it’s only 65w? That might be why mine requires more, it’s 105w.

That's what I'm thinking. Interesting that the board just won't boot with that extra power connected though.. you'd think the engineers would just have it on standby until needed.

Now... off to figure out why she can encode a 4K movie with no issues (near 100% CPU workload).. but she can't play Ace Combat 7 without locking up completely.

Ah.. the fun times of being a comp tech. 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xMorpheousx416 said:

Ah.. the fun times of being a comp tech. 😂

Don't we all know it.... :laugh:

• Like 2