(UK) Want to fly out to see family but unsure of what "legally permitted reason" means?

Hi all,

I've been planning since last September to go see my parents abroad but then the November lockdown happened, and now we're in our third lockdown. Flights are still going but apparently there's a travel ban.

I've tried to see what a "legally permitted reason" for travelling is, but can't find any clear guidance.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, you would likely be fine, BUT, you need to look at the restrictions at the other end. Do you need to self isolate for a period of time as soon as you land? Are you, by law, supposed to go straight to an isolation hotel at the other end for a period of time (usually a couple of weeks)?

Then you have the return journey. There are no flight corridors at present, so you would likely have to isolate again at this end, regardless of having a valid test completed 3 days in advance. This will become law, likely later today in the UK, therefore meaning you would hit that law.

You may end up spending more time in isolation than you do actually seeing relatives to be honest. Best to sit tight and wait it out. I know it can be painful, but just know you are not alone, as many people, including myself, are unable to go see relatives in other countries at present.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Montage said:

Legally permitted reasons to travel as per UK Gov:

Work that cannot be done from home

Medical appointments

Educational reasons

Going to Dubai if you are influencer

It all depends on the country you are visiting and of course what the government make you do on your return as it will change every day, week or month depending on what happens 

So you could be fine go and visit and return and not have any problems.

You could also be hit with a 10 -14 days hotel stay for about £1500 on your return, if they implement the quarantine for people coming back into the country from today that the press are all talking about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Just wait until all this is over.

People making journeys like this is what is hampering efforts to stop the spread.

Damned right!