Enthyos

Hello folks,

Hopefully I am in the right section as this issue appeared after my GPU upgrade from a RTX 2080Ti to RTX 3090.

I am encountering an issue with one my most played games (World of Tanks), the client is crashing into a black screen at random times (sound and other programs still run in the background - can use TeamSpeak for example).

This issue only happens in World of Tanks and is reproductible while in battle, does not happen while in idle or just browsing around in the garage interface. No other game I have tried so far gave me any crash - DX11 or 12.

*Did notice a weird thing that went away after the last driver update (v.461.09), the in-game gamma settings were greyed out - so I thought I’d mention this anyways.

I am at a loss here as I have run out of ideas and I can’t seem to figure out if this is an issue with hardware or is it somehow tied to the way the game works.

The crashes began mid-November and since then I have contacted the player and technical support teams @Wargaming – the company behind World of Tanks creating multiple tickets that lead nowhere so far.

My rig config – pc part picker link here.

Age of the computer (hardware) ranging from new – GPU to 1 and a half years old for most of the system hardware.

OS wise the system was installed around 08/19.

Here is a list of things I tried after reading around on the internet on various forums and asking all my tech-savvy friends for help:

§  Updated/Rolled back the GPU drivers using DDU in Safe mode – Not connected to the internet / Windows Drivers Updates off > tried the versions (Studio and Game Ready): 442.74*did not recognize my GPU as expected* - 456.38 - 457.30 - 460.97 (beta) and the latest drivers as well - now running Game Ready 461.09.

§  Made sure my temps are low and there is no overheating - at an ambient temp of roughly 23-4 C degrees - I get to a maximum 71C on GPU and 68/70 CPU side during stress test or even lower temps when just under intense gaming (CoD – Cold War / Metro Exodus for example) - and high 50 C CPU / low 60C on the GPU.

§  Cleaned the registry using CCleaner.

§  Modified the page file system to a higher value and reverted to windows default (32 GB of physical RAM memory should be more than enough- but hey I gave it a shot anyway)

§  Updated the latest chipset drivers from AMD site.

§  Updated the GPU firmware and latest Aorus software.

§  Updated to the latest BIOS (now running F31j)

§  Disabled the XMP Profile in BIOS / and using all stock settings in BIOS.

§  Updated to the latest Creative Sound Blaster sound card drivers

§  Used the windows default recommended sound settings (suggested by the Wargaming Support team)

§  Rebooted my router & network devices for a few minutes (suggested by the Wargaming Support team)

§  In Nvidia Control Panel set the game to use Maximum Performance mode as some user recommended in a similar issue with Apex Legends.

§  Disabled G-Sync + gave it a go with V Sync on and off (Using a G-Sync monitor @ 1440p 165hz)

§  Downclocked my GPU using the Aorus tool to the reference RTX 3090 specs.

§  Enabled and tested Low Latency mode

§  Updated to the latest chipset from the AMD site.

§  Tried running the game with no Antialiasing / Off in NVCP as well.

§  Launched the game in Windowed - Windowed borderless - Fullscreen

§  Lowered the resolution from 1440p to 1080p and 720p

§  Tried to run the game with the lowest graphical settings in all the above resolutions

§  Since the game client has the option – tried both x32/x64 clients

§  Tried Compatibility mode Windows 7 & 8

§  Launched the game in safe mode

§  Used both HD and SD client (lower end machines version)

§  Ran the game integrity check (suggested by the Wargaming Support team)

§  Added the game as a firewall exception (suggested by the Wargaming Support team)

§  Removed the Appdata WoT folder that contains all the game settings (suggested by the Wargaming Support team)

§  Reinstalled the game multiple times

§  Made sure the DirectX Suite is up to date

§  Uninstalled Easy Tune Engine Service/ Team Viewer (as suggested by the Wargaming Support team)

§  Disabled & Uninstalled iCue / Aorus Software / RGB Fusion 2 (suggested by the Wargaming Support team)

§  Clean booted - Windows Default Only

§  Deleted the cache Nvidia Shader Cache

§  Disabled onboard sound in Device Manager

§  Used a TDR Manipulator  and disabled / reenabled it.

§  Updated my Windows 10 to the latest build 20H2

§  Rather recently replaced my PSU unit (end of 2019)

§  Ran a 3D Mark benchmark (Firestrike Demo) while logging with Hwinfo64 * Sensors Only – Log here (3D Mark Results + Hwinfo64 Log) (advised by the user Greybear on Nvidia Forums)

After the latest tests (here) advised by the user Greybear  in my post  on the Nvidia Forums the readings in the log file he points out there is an anomaly, you can see it in the Images in the 12v LOW column "" 0 "" .

Open the Google Drive Link above access the .csv file and scroll across to column LV - MD - see all the 0 entries.... notice that the 12 readings appear in the wrong column on some of the 0 reading in the LV column.

He recommended that I set the RAIL performance to SINGLE RAIL on my PSU.

My knowledge on PSU’s is quite limited - Any thoughts on that?

*I will redo the benchmarks and log the info as soon as I get home from work. *

After digging for any leads in my crash logs, I found the following information into the game’s crash log and Windows Event logger:

Python Log here World of Tanks client:

INFO: [Info] FATAL ERROR: RenderSystemDeviceAccess::genericInterfaceCallFailureHandler - device in unsupported state: The device has been removed.”

This seems to be synchronized time stamp wise - with the report from the Windows Event logger that points to the nvlddmkm file stopping to work:

" Event id - 1062600691 in Source "nvlddmkm" cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them. The following information is part of the event: \Device\Video3 Graphics Exception on (GPC6, PPC 0)"

I have tried capturing a screenshot right after the black screen crash to see if it pops any information but the screenshots are black.

I am aware that this is a long post, but I am still having hope that there is a way to find a fix for this.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Edited by Enthyos
  • Like 1
Ixion

Looks like a pretty comprehensive list of things you've tried.

The one step which may be missing is a completely clean from scratch driver install (although you mention using Safe mode so may have already done this). Use DDU https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/17830/ to completely remove any old drivers then install 461.09 with default settings.

• Like 1
Enthyos
3 hours ago, Ixion said:

Looks like a pretty comprehensive list of things you've tried.

The one step which may be missing is a completely clean from scratch driver install (although you mention using Safe mode so may have already done this). Use DDU https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/17830/ to completely remove any old drivers then install 461.09 with default settings.

Hello @Ixion, thank you for your reply, i did use DDU to reinstall my drivers.

Unfortunetly that does not seem to help with my issue.

+jnelsoninjax

Honestly I might say that it is the game itself, since you said you have not had any issues with other games. Is the game up to date?

farmeunit

I have issues with Rainbow Six from time to time, and it's always seems to coincide with an update for the game.

There was an older driver that's been the most reliable.  I see you tried, that, though.  Have you contacted their support and sent them logs?

Enthyos
44 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Honestly I might say that it is the game itself, since you said you have not had any issues with other games. Is the game up to date?

Yes, and the support team concluded that it's my system that needs to be checked... :(

32 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

I have issues with Rainbow Six from time to time, and it's always seems to coincide with an update for the game.

There was an older driver that's been the most reliable.  I see you tried, that, though.  Have you contacted their support and sent them logs?

Yes been doing that back and forth ever since it first happened. Had no issues with my 2080Ti before.

+Biscuits Brown

If the game is that important to you, I'd get a spare SSD, take all the drives out of my computer. Reinstall windows on the spare SSD then install WoT. Nothing else.  If that works, well you know the issue isn't hardware related. If it still fails, you only have a few options and I'd start with putting the 2080Ti back in and test.  If that works either your 3090 is bad or the PSU is sufficient (or just crappy) for that 3090. Your parkpicker link isn't there so we cant see your system. 

Enthyos
3 hours ago, Biscuits Brown said:

If the game is that important to you, I'd get a spare SSD, take all the drives out of my computer. Reinstall windows on the spare SSD then install WoT. Nothing else.  If that works, well you know the issue isn't hardware related. If it still fails, you only have a few options and I'd start with putting the 2080Ti back in and test.  If that works either your 3090 is bad or the PSU is sufficient (or just crappy) for that 3090. Your parkpicker link isn't there so we cant see your system. 

Hello Biscuits Brown,

Appreciate the support here, i have not thought about doing that, pretty neat ideea.

I will give it a  try and come back with some feedback after the install is done.

Unfortunetly i do not have the 2080ti anymore, but i guess i could try and find someone willing to help me out for further testing near me.

Pc build here. - Was i wrong to go for the Corsair RM1000x psu ?

Much appreciated.

In the meantime do you guys have by chance any troubleshooting experience when it comes to  the nvlddmkm.sys error?

+Biscuits Brown

Since it's only one game causing the issue and the issue is related to the video card driver really points to something the game is doing that is conflicting with your setup. I'm still thinking the fresh install will help isolate this. I'd even go so far as to install windows and NOT install any NVidia drivers. Just let windows install what it wants then install WoT and give it a play. Unless you received a bad PSU, the Corsair should be MORE than sufficient. 

goretsky

Hello,

The PSU should be adequate.  From looking at this photo of it:

image.png.a00246fe56e979af435f27403cfca79d.png

the power supply has connectors for three 8-pin PCIe cables.

From reading this description of the video card:  https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N3090AORUS-X-24GD/sp#sp the video card has connectors for three 8-ping PCIe cables.

Have you verified that each of the three separate connectors on the video card has its own cable going to it from the power supply, without any splitters or double-headed cables being used?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Enthyos
2 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

The PSU should be adequate.  From looking at this photo of it:

image.png.a00246fe56e979af435f27403cfca79d.png

the power supply has connectors for three 8-pin PCIe cables.

From reading this description of the video card:  https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N3090AORUS-X-24GD/sp#sp the video card has connectors for three 8-ping PCIe cables.

Have you verified that each of the three separate connectors on the video card has its own cable going to it from the power supply, without any splitters or double-headed cables being used?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thank you for your reply Mr.Goretsky

I was aware of this potential issue as i have some experience with building PC's and the limitations of a  8-pin cable, so i went for 3 separate 8-pin PCIe cables.

This weekend i will try and see if  the solution proposed by  Biscuits Brown helps in any way and proceed to a clean install. 

The more i read on the internet the more i fear that i might be one of those plagued by the "black screen with sound + 100% fan  speed RTX series" club.

What bugs me is that so far i do not experience crashing in anything else.

goretsky

Hello,

My next suggestion would be to check with Gigabyte.  Perhaps there is a known issue specific to the video card with another component in the computer that they are aware of, or you received one from a batch with some faulty component known to be mixed in.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Enthyos

I am currently waiting an answer from Gigabyte, i have watched posts over the internet there does not seem to be any sort of trend going on.

Will post back any official comments on the issue.

Thanks again Aryeh Goretsky.

• 2 months later...
Enthyos

I know it has been a long time since my last post, unfortunately the issue is not fixed and the Gigabyte Support team redirected me to my local vendor whom offered me a refund but not a replacement due to the low stocks so I'd be at a loss given the price hike.

Meanwhile after following the recommendations of a fellow user JoeRambo @ Anandtech Forums to use Riva Tunner Statistics Server and even more testing over the past 3 months with the Aorus Engine I did end up having a stable GPU while playing World of Tanks.

While using RTSS I only ended up having partial success, I kept trying to find a solution and ran different clocks and configurations with the Aorus Engine.

Stable settings I am currently using with an alternate profile in Aorus Engine – GPU Clock 1625 / Memory Clock 19502 / Fan Speed Auto / Power Target 100 @ a Target temp of 83 degrees Celsius.

The issue occurred only once since then while playing League of Legends but didn’t reproduce since and i was using this custom World of Tanks profile not the standard Aorus Extreme OC – (GPU Boost 1860Mhz / Memory Clock 19500).

No other games or workload like rendering crashed my GPU, so I decided to keep the card a while more, at least until the availability issues are resolved.

Hopefully this workaround will help somebody else out there.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sszecret
      Microsoft Weekly: Edge Beta for Linux, a new Segoe font, and games galore
      by Florin Bodnarescu

A number of things happened in the last seven days, including the arrival of Edge Beta on Linux, the unveiling of a new Segoe font variant, and even a refresh of the Azure logo. You can find info about that, as well as much more below, in your Microsoft digest for the week of May 2 - 8.

Edge Beta for Linux

We should begin with a little info regarding Edge, as not much has happened with the browser this week.

For starters, build 92.0.878.0 made its way to the Dev Channel. While this would normally be pretty exciting, Microsoft says the build doesn’t change much, given that it came out just a few days after the previous build. The changes are so minor that the company didn’t even bother publishing its usual post about it.

Moving on to the stable version, namely version 90, folks may be experiencing problems with YouTube playback, namely crashing. This bug has been acknowledged by a Microsoft engineer, who suggested users disable hardware acceleration as a workaround. The same engineer confirmed that the company is working on a fix, but that the issue may be more significant than initially thought.

And since we’re taking a tour through the various Insider channels, it’s worth pointing out that over six months after the Dev channel availability of Edge for Linux, there is now a Beta variant for the open-source OS.

Lastly, Microsoft is now testing everse image search in the Bing sidebar. This does pretty much exactly what it sounds like it would, namely allows you to right-click on an image and search for it on Bing in the sidebar which appears on the right of the Edge browser. As per Reddit user Leopeva64-2 who stumbled upon this, the capability is available in Edge Dev, though we have not seen this on any of our test devices.

A new font

For Insiders in the Dev channel, Microsoft pushed out yet another preview build, 21376, which included the usual array of fixes and, rather interestingly a new Segoe font variant.

While Segoe UI itself has been used as a default system font going all the way back to Windows Vista, a number of variants have been revealed since, including Segoe Script, Segoe Pro, and what Microsoft used for its Modern design icons, Segoe MDL2 Assets.

The new font is called Segoe UI Variable and as the name implies, it’s meant to vary slightly depending on the use case. Segoe UI itself for example was originally designed to be optimal at 9pt sizes, while Segoe UI Variable tweaks the letter weight and tracking depending on the size.

For smaller text, the letters are more tightly tracked, have more weight and are more open, while at display size, text isn’t quite as tightly tracked and has amplified letter terminals. For those not familiar, tracking refers to the overall horizontal spacing between font characters. This is not to be confused with kerning, which refers to the proportional spacing between two individual letters, whereas tracking refers to, say, an entire word.

On the subject of change, we should touch on the fact that Microsoft is set to fully remove Flash from Windows 10 in July. While support for Flash was dropped by Adobe on December 31, 2020, and Microsoft released a manual update to remove it back in October of the same year, it was, as the name implies, not necessarily mandatory. Starting in July, the Redmond giant is set to push out the update to Windows 10 v1809 and above, automagically removing the media plugin.

To that end, the firm is also removing any update blocks for versions 2004 and 20H2 (May 2020 Update, October 2020 Update), allowing folks to freely upgrade to these supported variants. We’re on the verge of a new feature update anyway, so it’s not much of a surprise that Microsoft wants folks on the latest Windows 10 version, if possible.

Last but not least, to the dismay of perhaps three people, Windows 10X is allegedly delayed indefinitely, as Microsoft focuses on Windows 10 proper.

Since its original unveil at the end of 2019 with the dual-screen Surface Neo and Duo, the former device was delayed out of its Holiday 2020 release window, and Windows 10X was repurposed for single-screen devices - in stark contrast to its initial 'dual-screen devices first' approach. For now, it seems that the Redmond firm is putting 10X on the backburner, focusing its resources on the expected Sun Valley UI refresh coming to Windows 10 later this year.

Games galore

In a rather surprising announcement, Microsoft decided to take the wraps off a sizeable selection of titles now supporting FPS Boost. More than quadrupling the number of supported games from 23 to 97, the latest additions include Dying Light, a number of LEGO games, ReCore, and more, with supported framerates from 60 to 120FPS.

There are good news on the Game Pass front as well, with FIFA 21, Red Dead Online, Psychonauts, Outlast 2 and many others either already available or joining the subscription very soon. Additionally, folks in the U.S. also get four months of Spotify Premium with Game Pass Ultimate, though this is available for new users only.

On the revenue share front, Microsoft dropped its cut from 30% to 12% on PC, and was planning to do the same on console, but it will no longer do so. An interesting tidbit about the company’s strategy relates to exactly why it lowered its split. As per the court documents filed in January, this is done “in exchange for the grant of streaming rights to Microsoft.”, in other words, xCloud. It’s not exactly clear whether the proposal was far enough along to even be discussed with console publishers, but for the time being, the revenue split on Xbox remains 30/70.

If you don’t think that’s such a great deal, maybe some of the Deals with Gold will pique your interest, like the discounts for Borderlands 3, Control, PAYDAY 2: Crimewave Edition, and others.

However, if you have no desire to buy more games and already own the latest iteration of Flight Simulator or the spin-off title Minecraft Dungeons, it’s worth checking for updates, as both first-party games have received a number of enhancements and fixes.

Dev channel
      The latest monthly Office Insider build on the Mac has added the ‘Share to Teams’ capability in Outlook, and more. Microsoft has announced its automation tool for security testing AI systems, dubbed Counterfit. Live transcriptions will soon be added for unscheduled and channel meetings in Teams. Microsoft has announced Reading Progress for Teams for education. Whiteboard now has improved Teams integration, support for rich content like images and stickers, and more. The Redmond giant has detailed more education features coming through August. Excel on the web now supports Power BI-connected PivotTables. Microsoft has delivered oxygen, ventilators, and more to support India’s COVID-19 response. New customization options are now available for Reply-all Storm Protection in Microsoft 365. Microsoft customers in the EU will be able to store all their data in the region by 2022. The Redmond firm has warned of a widespread gift card scam targeting organizations. Logging off
      We end the week with a refreshed Azure logo, an interesting Defender bug, and some Surface firmware updates.

Starting with Azure, Microsoft has decided that the logo for its cloud service needed a bit of a Fluent Design facelift, and as such unveiled a brand-new icon. Ditching the angular shape of the old logo, this one is much more reminiscent of say, the Visual Studio icon, though in some cases, it may remind folks of the Adobe or Autodesk logos.

On the flip side, what wasn’t needed was a rather weird Microsoft Defender bug, which ended up creating “thousands” of files in users' boot drives. Some folks saw small files less than 2KB in size, while other users reported multiple GBs of storage being eaten up. A fix is already rolling out, and if you’re on Microsoft Defender engine version 1.1.18100.5, you’ll be bumped up to 1.1.18100.6 following this update.

Finally, for owners of the Surface Pro 4, Studio, Laptop 1,2, and 4, Microsoft has released a slew of firmware updates meant to bring stability and security enhancements.

Missed any of the previous columns? Be sure to have a look right here.

If you’d like to get a daily digest of news from Neowin, we now have a Newsletter you can sign up to either via the ‘Get our newsletter’ widget in the sidebar, or this link.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft removes all update blocks for Windows 10 versions 2004 and 20H2
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft releases major Windows 10 updates in a staggered fashion, meaning not all devices get the update immediately. For the past couple of years, the firm has let users decide if they want to install a feature update till the time that the version that they are on reaches the end-of-support. The company does enforce update blocks – essentially blocking those PCs from being served the updates – due to known issues. The firm then gradually removes these “safeguard holds” as and when the issues are fixes.

Since the release of Windows 10 version 2004 (May 2020 Update) one year ago, there have been various holds on certain devices. Considering that the October 2020 Update (version 20H2) contains the same bits as that of version 2004, those blocks also applied to this version of the OS. Though most of these update holds have been removed over the last year and versions 2004 and 20H2 now account for 80% of total Windows 10 machines, at least two upgrade blocks relating to Conexant audio drivers were still in place, at least for some users.

Now, Microsoft has officially noted in the known issues page for both versions (spotted by Ghacks) that the issues have been resolved as of yesterday, May 7, 2021. This means that any devices that have been prevented from upgrading to the May 2020 Update or the October 2020 Update from older versions will now be served the bits automatically. An estimated 11% of users are still running the November 2019 update (version 1909).

Of course, users have had other ways to update to the latest versions such as by using the Media Creation Tool or performing a fresh install using the available ISOs. Additionally, the company also added a Group Policy to Windows 10 allowing IT admins to circumvent these blocks or disable them and force devices to update, in case they deem it necessary.

The official update from the Redmond firm about the lifting of these long-standing safeguard holds comes just a few days from the official end-of-support date for Windows 10 version 1909. Starting May 11, all Home, Pro, and Pro Education SKUs will reach the end-of-support, meaning those on version 1909 must move to any of the newer versions. This also signals the first time that all supported Window 10 versions will receive the same servicing updates, since the upcoming Windows 10 May 2021 Update (21H1) is yet another enablement package, just like version 20H2.

Have any of your devices been blocked from receiving versions 2004 or 20H2, or has your organization held off on updating the devices to a newer version? Let us know in the comments below!

• By indospot
      Windows 10 build 21376 is now available with a new font and other improvements
      by João Carrasqueira

Following on last week's release of build 21370, Microsoft is sticking to a Thursday release for this week's Windows 10 build in the Dev channel, build 21376. Like the past few releases, this one is from the co_release branch, which would usually indicate that Microsoft may be getting ready to wrap up development on the next feature update for Windows 10.

This build is fairly light on news, but it does include a new Segoe UI Variable font, which is designed to scale better across different display sizes, specifically larger ones. The original Segoe UI font was designed to optimal at 9pt sizes, but this variant should adapt better to different displays.

Not every part of the UI will be using Segoe UI Variable right away, though, so you may not see changes in all elements of the OS.

Aside from that, the build mostly consists of smaller improvements, including a new icon for the Connect app. Here's what else is new:

The focus right now seems to be on bug fixes, and there's a lengthy list of them to look forward to in this build. Here's everything that's been fixed:

As Microsoft moves to focus on stability, the list of known issues keeps shrinking, and this time it's the smallest we've seen in quite a while. Here's what you need to be aware of before installing this one:

Since builds in the Dev channel are no longer tied to a specific Windows 10 feature update, it's hard to say when general users may be able to try out the improvements made in the past few builds. The next feature update, version 21H1, is a simple enablement package without much in the way of new features. We're expecting to see a more significant update in the second half of the year, though, and it could include some of these changes, but that remains to be seen.

• By indospot
      New Windows 10 concept shows us a new Start menu and flyouts
      by João Carrasqueira

Over the years, there's been no shortage of user-created concepts that try to depict what Windows 10 could look like, and that partly happens due to the number of inconsistencies across the OS, and how long it usually takes for changes to be made. A few weeks ago, a Reddit user focused on the File Explorer, but today, we have a new concept from Twitter user vGLAD, whose concept design is called Project Acrylic and focused on the Start menu and a couple of system flyouts.

Starting with (of course) the Start menu, we can see that the concept has it undocked from the taskbar and using rounded corners, something we're already expecting based on Sun Valley leaks from earlier in the year. However, there's a lot more going on here, starting with the dual-tone look thanks to the left-side pane using Acrylic transparency effects and the main area being a solid color. The All Apps list has been removed in favor of quick shortcuts to user folders and also some system settings like Disk Management, personalization, and connected devices.

Tiles are also done away with, and instead, a set of commonly-used apps and websites headlines the right-side section of the Start Menu, similar to how the Windows 10X Start menu looks in the preview builds we've had access to. However, below that you'll see Quick Access, which is usually a page in File Explorer, now more readily available. Users can pin folders and documents to this area, too. At the bottom, a button can take the user to the All Apps list.

You can also see the File Explorer in this screenshot, but it's not a big focus for this concept. It features a dual-tone design similar to the Start menu, and the ribbon has been removed, with core actions like renaming or deleting a file having new shortcuts near the top right corner. Some of the icons have also been redone.

Moving on to the next image, the concept focuses on the volume flyout and a new 'Devices' flyout, too. Both also use rounded corners, along with Acrylic transparency and solid colors to help highlight certain UI elements, and offer quick access to certain controls. In this image, you can also see updated icons and spacing for the system tray icons.

The sound flyout allows users to switch input and output devices on the fly and control music playback directly from the flyout, while the devices flyout offers a quick overview of devices plugged into the PC or connected wirelessly, with shortcuts to manage their files in the File Explorer.

The concept has garnered praise by other Twitter users, but of course, it's unlikely Microsoft will implement these concepts anytime soon. Microsoft has made some notable changes to the design in Windows 10 builds in the Dev channel, but they aren't this thorough, and they may take a while to be available to the general audience.

• By Copernic
      StartIsBack++ 2.9.12
      by Razvan Serea

StartIsBack++ restores original Windows 10 start menu with all its features: search, pinned and recently used apps, fully customizable settings. Start button and Start menu look and behave exactly as they used to in Windows 7.

StartIsBack is lightweight and secure: it does not require administrator rights to install, consumes minimal amount of system resources, does not run additional processes or services.

What's hot about StartIsBack on Windows 10 now:

Live badges for modern apps on taskbar and Start menu! Ability to reduce resource usage by disabling newer Start menu and Cortana processes from prelaunching Ability to use adequately sized (32x32) large icons and larger start menu button on taskbar Modern icon glyphs on Start menu right hand pane Modern blur, drop shadow and immersive context menus for start menu Fully dynamic DPI aware start menu and configuration app New modern style with round user picture Lots of new minor additions and tweaks Changes in StartIsBack++ 2.9.12:

Improved stability and compatiblity with other customization apps

Download: StartIsBack++ 2.9.12 | 1.4 MB (Free to Try, $3.99 to Buy)
      View: StartIsBack Home Page

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware