A-Volute - softwarecomponent - 3.1.0.0 pops up. What does it do? Should I install it?


Recommended Posts

kiddingguy

Today I got for my Asus ROG notebook, under 'Optional Updates', a "A-Volute - softwarecomponent - 3.1.0.0" update.

I found it is has something to do with my Nehamic sound drivers. What exactly does this A-Volute do?

Also given the fact that the Microsoft Update Catalog also lists the 'A-Volute - SoftwareComponent - 4.0.2.0' version. Why isn't this one offered?

 

Should I install it? (v 3.1.0.0 or 4.0.2.0)

Or just let things be and ignore this one?

(I don't have any sound issues that I am aware of :cool:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?118767-Windows-10-2004-Updater-wants-to-install-A-Volute

Link to post
Share on other sites
kiddingguy
30 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Thx.

The latest post stated:

Quote

An application and the speakers of any PC transform into high-fidelity equipment. With its Nahimic software, the a-Volute company has already convinced big brands like Asus and MSI.

OK, so far so good. Can be installed, right?. Although there might be some issues.

 

Question remains... if there is a version 4, why is Windows Update/Optional Updates not mentioning  this? (but 'remain' on v3)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H
10 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

Question remains... if there is a version 4, why is Windows Update/Optional Updates not mentioning  this? (but 'remain' on v3)

maybe the other version is for a different but similar model of chip?

 

that or the versions weren't submitted properly to Microsoft. this is the main issue that keeps popping up for why wrong versions install and why newer drivers tend to get overwritten.

 

it's the main reason I don't utilize WU for driver updates; I turned that off on my stuff and utilize iOBit Driver Booster (free edition) to scan occasionally and update drivers. It's one of the few 3rd party driver update utilities I've found to actually work properly and without issue consistently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
kiddingguy
39 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

maybe the other version is for a different but similar model of chip?

 

that or the versions weren't submitted properly to Microsoft. this is the main issue that keeps popping up for why wrong versions install and why newer drivers tend to get overwritten.

 

it's the main reason I don't utilize WU for driver updates; I turned that off on my stuff and utilize iOBit Driver Booster (free edition) to scan occasionally and update drivers. It's one of the few 3rd party driver update utilities I've found to actually work properly and without issue consistently.

That's also why I noticed (see also a different of thread here of mine)....

Thing is... WU is kinda scr**ed up when it comes to these Windows Updates in the Optional Area....

So what to do.... install this, or can I better just leave it "as is"? What's improved? Is it recommended?

 

As stated... I have no issues on my sound.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H

if you don't need the extra functionality of the app then I'd just skip it (Y) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
kiddingguy
1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

if you don't need the extra functionality of the app then I'd just skip it (Y) 

Well... the thing is: I don't really know if I need this extra functionality, because I don't know what it does besides some "enhancement" to Sonic Studio and/or Nahimic software and/or general system. Or what it doesn't when/if I uninstall this. Or what I miss in sound quality or sound options.

Plus... I would like to know why all of a sudden this v3 update is popping up today? Whilst also seeing there is a v4. And what's the difference... and if I can install this update (or v4) without any problems.

 

Questions, questions, questions. Unanswered yet unfortunately....

Anyone here can shed some light on this?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandon H
8 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

Well... the thing is: I don't really know if I need this extra functionality, because I don't know what it does besides some "enhancement" to Sonic Studio and/or Nahimic software and/or general system. Or what it doesn't when/if I uninstall this. Or what I miss in sound quality or sound options.

Plus... I would like to know why all of a sudden this v3 update is popping up today? Whilst also seeing there is a v4. And what's the difference... and if I can install this update (or v4) without any problems.

 

Questions, questions, questions. Unanswered yet unfortunately....

Anyone here can shed some light on this?!

usually with those optional audio apps it's just extra equalizer functionality or fake surround sound modes and filters like that.

I'd personally consider it bloat unless your an audiophile

Link to post
Share on other sites
erpster3
6 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

Well... the thing is: I don't really know if I need this extra functionality, because I don't know what it does besides some "enhancement" to Sonic Studio and/or Nahimic software and/or general system. Or what it doesn't when/if I uninstall this. Or what I miss in sound quality or sound options.

Plus... I would like to know why all of a sudden this v3 update is popping up today? Whilst also seeing there is a v4. And what's the difference... and if I can install this update (or v4) without any problems.

 

Questions, questions, questions. Unanswered yet unfortunately....

Anyone here can shed some light on this?!

 

just use wushowhide.diagcab, Wumgr or WUMT (windows update minitool) to hide the A-Volute Softwarecomponent 3.1.0.0 driver if you are not using the Sonic Studio or Sonic Radar apps from ASUS cuz those apps may have come with your ASUS ROG laptop (or have been automatically downloaded & installed from MS store after installing the proprietary ASUS based Realtek audio driver package specific for your ASUS ROG laptop).

 

and note that version 4.xx of the A-Volute SoftwareComponent drivers (ex. 4.0.2.0 from MS Catalog dated 11/1/2020) are for newer devices (with specific hardware device IDs, esp. with 11th gen Intel core hardware or systems made in late 2020 or early 2021) and may not be applicable for your Asus machine.  also version 4.xx of the A-Volute SoftwareComponent drivers do not supersede nor replace the 3.xx versions.  you need to check the Package Details tab section of the A-Volute SoftwareComponent 4.0.2.0 driver and check which Supported Hardware IDs are listed and then gather details about on your Asus laptop by checking in Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) what specific hardware ID used for the existing A-Volute Audio Effects Component driver (listed in the Software Components section of Device Manager), then compare and check if that specific hardware ID is listed in the newer driver.

 

use this site on how to check the Hardware ID for a particular device in Device Manager, kiddingguy.

 

also you might also want to consider updating your Realtek audio driver as well to support the newer A-Volute 3.1.0.0 driver

 

Edited by erpster3
Link to post
Share on other sites
goretsky

Hello,


Not every driver developer choose to publish their driver updates in the Windows Update Catalog, or chooses to publish every one there.

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
kiddingguy

I kinda 'accidentally' installed this driver (or Windows had done it automatically).

Anyways... after rebooting the 'Windows key + search function' didn't work anywork. I could type in e.g. "Chrome". the 'c' went okay, but the 'h' didn't work/got typed. In notepad it did. So, it wasn't my keyboard.

 

After uninstalling Realtek software etc etc, and reinstalling it again - the only way to get rid of this A-Volute thingy - everything is back to normal.

Kinda annoying.

 

Have used the wushowhide.diagcab tool to not show this 3.1.0.0 update anymore. I have learned my lesson here....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
erpster3
On 22/01/2021 at 09:21, kiddingguy said:

Have used the wushowhide.diagcab tool to not show this 3.1.0.0 update anymore. I have learned my lesson here....

 

indeed you have learned your lesson...the hard way I guess

 

the wushowhide.diagcab tool is longer available from the MS support site - they seemed to have pulled it in Feb. 2021 but is still available from Majorgeeks.

 

MS also has v3.2.2.0 of the A-Volute Software Component driver available in the MS Catalog site, which may supersede/replace the older v3.1.0.0 A-Volute driver

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.