Every time I open a program, it closes, but still remains in memory

+jnelsoninjax

All of the sudden this morning I was attempting to open Blue Iris (my security camera viewer) and it prompted for admin (which was normal) but as soon as it loaded the GUI, it closed it, but when I check the task manager it was still running (in fact it showed 4 instances of it running). I have done two complete restarts of the system, and now not only can I not open Blue Iris, but I can not open services.msc, Thunderbird, and a few other random programs that simply TSR. I have run a malware and virus scan, as well as evaluated every item that is running in the task manager right now, and nothing stands out as not supposed to be there. I am currently trying to run sfc/scannow, and it is at 2% complete. I am almost to the point that reinstalling the OS would be quicker than trying to figure out wtf is going on within Windows, but I am open to other suggestions.

Brandon H

to rule out a corrupt profile you could try creating another user account on the PC and try launching the apps while signed in to the new user. I've seen some weird oddities caused by corrupt profiles and could save you a re-install if that's all that's needed :) 

• Like 1

Joe User

I would try Brandon's suggestion first.

Also, make sure you didn't accidentally activate a virtual desktop feature and your programs are all opening up on the virtual desktop.

+jnelsoninjax
30 minutes ago, Joe User said:

I would try Brandon's suggestion first.

Also, make sure you didn't accidentally activate a virtual desktop feature and your programs are all opening up on the virtual desktop.

Where would that feature be/how would I check for it?

+jnelsoninjax

This has to be the oddest thing I have ever seen. I created a new profile, logged in with it, opened the apps that wouldn't open under my other account, they open fine. I logged out and logged back into my primary account, and now suddenly everything seems to be working like it was before. sfc never got past 20 odd %, and I just created a new copy of the OS using the media creation tool, so I have it if all else fails.

Joe User
52 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Where would that feature be/how would I check for it?

There's one built in to Windows 10, Click Task view,  it's directly to the right of the search bar, the upper left of the screen will show virtual desktops.

Some monitor drivers also include one and some video card drivers include one, you will have to look in their settings.

That being said, check the profile first.

+jnelsoninjax

@Joe UserDid you see my update? I created a new profile, used it to launch the programs that I couldn't with the other profile, then I logged out and logged into my original account and now everything seems to be working... except I am trying to run sfc /scannow and it is doing nothing at all, no percentage showing, and it has been running for at least the last 20 mins or so.

+jnelsoninjax

I finally had enough of the instability and wiped and reinstalled the OS, there was something very strange going on and I was out of patients with troubleshooting.

• Like 1

Joe User
21 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

@Joe UserDid you see my update? I created a new profile, used it to launch the programs that I couldn't with the other profile, then I logged out and logged into my original account and now everything seems to be working... except I am trying to run sfc /scannow and it is doing nothing at all, no percentage showing, and it has been running for at least the last 20 mins or so.

Just missed it, had to go offline.

15 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I finally had enough of the instability and wiped and reinstalled the OS, there was something very strange going on and I was out of patients with troubleshooting.

While it's the more complex solution, it's most likely the best way to get a positive resolution to the issues you've been having. When SFC isn't even running, that's a good indication that something is seriously messed up.

• Thanks 1