I am having problems with Amazon delivery drivers not following my instructions

This has been an ongoing issue for a few years now, but has gotten much worse lately. Amazon's deliver drives can not seem to follow simple instructions that I give them. I have asked them to place the package(s) on the second step because the door opens out, and then ring the doorbell. Today while I was out getting my prescriptions, I had an order delivered, there was someone home who could have gotten the box, but as he said all he heard was the box hitting the steps, and by the time he got to the door the driver was gone.

Now I went and reviewed my security camera footage and watched the driver walk up to our steps, toss the box (which weighed around 20 pounds or so) on to the stairs from about 3 or 4 feet away, snap a picture and walk off. I just chatted with Amazon customer service about this issue and was assured that my feedback will be shared among the team, and that they would resolve the issue. I know that is just customer service speak for: write the report and submit it, never to see any action done on it. I asked if I could have an email address to send the video clip to so that they could better understand the frustration I have with this. Now I know a magic email address that I could send this to and it would certainly get a response, but I don't want to go to that extreme, yet. So I decided to ask here what do you think would be the best thing to do? My biggest concern is that they are going to do that one day with a fragile package and cause damage to the contents (considering I know how  the packages get boxed up). What I am really thinking about doing is taking the video clip to the distribution hub that services our area (I happen to know exactly where it is) and try to speak with someone there about this who mess. Would that be the next best thing to do?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

It's a common problem

Not sure there is much you can do

I get stuff delivered to work where the reception takes care of it - just so the packages are not dumped outside my house when I am away

• Thanks 1

I understand that it's common to have these issues, but I would (wrongfully) assume that Amazon would want to be an exception to this and provide the excellent customer service.

All you can do is file a complaint and hope things get better. Around where I live, people are lucky to get their packages as truck are followed and packages stolen soon after they are delivered. Luckily I live in a gated community so I don't have that issue. 

ahhhhh...big problem here

• 11 months later...

I have the same problem. I have an open porch which anyone can access but there is a full height cupboard in the porch for parcels and mail. Amazon's nearest option when it comes to specifying where you'd like your parcel to be left, is in the porch. They have no 'other' option where you can be more precise.

On my door I have a printed notice asking for all parcels and post to be left in the cupboard with an arrow pointing towards the cupboard. Most couriers including Royal Mail do follow the request but some of the Amazon drivers don't have enough command of the English language. I've spoken to some - nice people, but they can't understand what I'm saying so definitely won't understand written instruction. Either that or they just or don't look at instructions. They either leave it in the exposed porch against the door where I trip over it as I come out and from where it can be stolen, or they leave it with a very elderly neighbour who has to come down a flight of stairs to answer her door (twice when I have to collect it from her).

I can't find a way of officially complaining any more as the communication which used to be so good (you used to be able to email customer service) is no more.

I even have LEAVE IN PORCH CUPBOARD in capitals as the second line of my address label but it makes no difference!

Edited by suedenym
Errors

On 17/02/2021 at 21:33, jnelsoninjax said:

I understand that it's common to have these issues, but I would (wrongfully) assume that Amazon would want to be an exception to this and provide the excellent customer service.

Amazon isn't a courier company (eg. DHL, USPS, .... even UPS (UPS is the worst of the worst in canada)), the delivery end of amazon doesn't care about customer service nor do they care about the contents of the packages.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect that like many drivers, they're paid per parcel, rather than per hour, meaning that instead of following instructions, they'll use whatever method is fastest to get it marked as "delivered" and keep their metrics up. Not defending the practice, but many couriers here work this way.

• 8 months later...

2022 here and Amazon doesn't give a flying fig on Customer Service delivery. Period. I choose back door which is covered deck bc I am handicapped and can get out to porch easily. Not only don't they read, they drop it off at FRONT door and then LIE about it;  they take a photo, then state dropped off at back when it clearly shows front door!

So then they did read WHERE, chose to ignore, and then lied about it! When you call customer service all you get is lip service.

Granted it's going to depend on the particular driver. I haven't had too many instances where I needed to leave comments, but I once did add a warning about package thieves being active around the holidays and the particular driver that dropped off the package texted me and made sure the package was hidden.

could have the problem I have.

im 6066 and some drivers try to drop packages of at  6062.

doordash drops my food at 1407 and ask if that was the correct address. it says 6066 in  app.

tell them in instruction that im located in back section of neighborhood. I see them on the map drive driving back and forth through the front and middle section. and call me they cant find my number. its like they dont know how to zoom in on the map.

On 13/10/2022 at 02:10, MP Mclean said:

2022 here and Amazon doesn't give a flying fig on Customer Service delivery. Period. I choose back door which is covered deck bc I am handicapped and can get out to porch easily. Not only don't they read, they drop it off at FRONT door and then LIE about it;  they take a photo, then state dropped off at back when it clearly shows front door!

So then they did read WHERE, chose to ignore, and then lied about it! When you call customer service all you get is lip service.

Just an idea, why not state you are handicapped in the delivery instructions if you don't already, something like "I'm handicapped, please drop at back door".

For me I get packages delivered to intended for zomervaart, I live on zomerstraat. It's just laziness on the driver's part.

This is why amazon is encouraging customers to use pick up points and lockers. They keep emailing me about how I can get a $10US discount if I use the pickup locker. Its the only real solution to this problem for all deliveries. Those who can afford and install video cameras that will ping your phone and/or automatically ring your doorbell show consider that.

I live in a block of flats, and I'm on the 16th floor. The amount of times it says left in the postbox. There is no postbox and when I check the photo they take, it should read, left in the foyer that anybody can go into, and they wonder why I did not get the delivery. Oh yea, it's left in the place that anyone can get to, so it's nicked, as I am disabled and cannot get to the place it's left, is it any wonder.

I have pretty good luck with my UPS guy. Last year I installed a smart door lock to my garage. I scanned in his fingerprint and gave him a door code; he just punches in his code or uses his fingerprint and can put packages in my garage. Same for postal.

Not for Fedex, because fedex is a crap shoot on who I'm going to get, though I do include a door code in the instructions, and they usually use it.

While they are in there, they can also help themselves to cold bottle of water in my fridge which I keep stocked for them. I tell them if they need water, they can just unlock the door and help themselves even if I don't have a package and they are in the neighborhood.

• Like 2

Well delivery drivers are under pressure to get deliveries completed within a certain time frame, It's not always the same driver, especially with Amazon Prime, I've had deliveries from

AP, that were being delivered the same day, you would think that all the items would be delivered at once but no, the 3 different items were delivered by 3 separate drivers at different times

during the day, and all they do is drop it off on my steps, even though I have a BIG sign stating for them to press the door bell button, once they drop off the package, out of say 50 deliveries I've only ever had

the door bell button pressed 2 times. Drivers just ignore any instructions and drop off the box and go off, sure management and supervisors tell drivers to follow instructions as best as they can considering the

time, but I think most drivers just don't care. And it's not something they are going to get reprimanded or fired for , unless it's items constantly being damaged or stolen.

My mother lives in a different city and is elderly and there are times, she needs items like a new clock radio for instance, so I buy one for her on Amazon and have it shipped to her, she lives in a condominium complex
and couriers and prime drivers have access to her building lobby, and they just dump the packages in the lobby and packages are basically out there for anybody to grab.  although being mostly elderly residents that rarely happens. 

Then there's time I ordered a very expensive and large item Amazon and Prime shipped it to her, I had specific instructions for it to be delivered to her unit front door, of course that never happened the driver marked it as delivered,

but it couldn't be found, called Amazon and they had to locate the driver and ask him, he claims he delivered it to door, but that was a lie, he had no photo proof he did that, Amazon told us to wait 24 hours too file a claim, as we searched the

lobby for the package, later on we talked to the caretaker to look at the lobby camera video, and you could see a prime driver put  the package in a parcel locker that's located

behind the elevators, that's rarely used, the driver put the package in there but never mentioned it, let alone leave any kind of notice, there's no key required, that was rarely used, but the driver never mentioned he put it in there as he was supposed to drop

The driver must've been a courier before because that  locker is not very well known, even my Mother didn't know about it, but upon reviewing the video we saw driver had put it in the locker.

Greetings all~

Just thought I'd mention, as I ALSO ,  have had some big issues  with Amazon deliveries, I live in a 3 story apartment complex  with 24 other tenants, and managed to work my way 'up the ladder' within Amazon to  what I would consider  a positive outcome.

By doing this I have SUCESSFULY  gotten , on more than one occasion ,   Amazon Credits  OR  FULL REFUNDS ...OR.. full item replacements due to poor delivery service.

1) Printed and laminated sign that is VERY VISIBLE  as to specific instruction to NOT  Leave over sized packages at the bank of mail boxes and to deliver then SPECIFICALLY to  the apartment door for which is it addressed to .

2)  Requested either via the Amazon app   OR  on the  website itself  to receive a call back from a representative  to the number that is on file, or input a call back number and in turn speak  to their LOGISITCS division and place a complaint that way ,,,,,  ESPECIALLY   if the driver takes a pic  of where the package was left and was not according to instructions.

3)   SPECIFICALLY   validate that the delivery instructions that I have  registered on my account for  deliveries is  EXACTLY  as possible what I desire.

4)  CALL LOGISTICS directly ... I got the number  DIRECT from an Amazon customer service rep  when I started getting VERY fed up with the lack of following instructions and  due to it have had items  STOLEN  due to not following instructions ....  the number is : 1-877-252-2701... ask to speak to a supervisor... they CAN AND WILL  be able to  give more of a 'credit' due to the inconvenience of  not following direction AND OR    replace the item if it got stolen by 'porch pirates'.

If you follow  the info above I advised … I WILL say  …  GENERALLY   the item that you ordered SHOULD BE   shipped and sold  OR   some combination there of (ESPECIALLY SHIPPED)  by Amazon in order to have a potentially successful out come. Goin the route I have been going for the past Year or more .. 99% of the time I(as well as other individuals) have had a VERY GOOD outcome. Either my having the item replaced if it got 'stolen'    OR  by complaining  about not following  delivery instructions.  In the latter case the credits that are given  can ONLY be used for future items that are 100%  shipped AND  sold  by amazon .. and only PHYSICAL  items  .. NOT   digital delivery items.

Best of luck .

WolfMage

*** EDITED TO ADD****
XPablo mentioned in part:

Drivers are under pressure to get deliveries done: TRUE 

Drivers are not reprimanded:   not ENTIRLY true .. I have known a few drivers PERSONALLY and they ARE  reprimanded if enough complaints come in regarding their delivery performance. The more serious the complaint  the quicker the reprimand happens .. and  THEY WILL .. either be switched out  to different/easier routes  OR be taken off(or out right terminated) deliveries altogether . Might take some time for it to happen  .. but it DOES happen and they DO   get 'docked'  in pay  if its a CONSISTANT problem .

Edited by LoneWolfMage

• 2 months later...

They really don't care. I have delivery instructions on my profile and I have a deck Box sitting outside my front door right under my mailbox,  which you don't even have to walk up any steps you just have to come up the driveway. The Box has a sign on it saying Amazon, UPS USPS, fedex please leave packages in the Box. I bought the Box and the sign from Amazon lol, But they still continue to leave my packages out in the open, on the ground where some porch pirate can come by and just pick them up. Some of my packages are so light weight that I've actually had to Chase them down the street on a windy day. I kinda wished they worked for tips. I bet things would change then

20221222_170128.jpg

On 06/01/2023 at 16:46, gemgirl said:

They really don't care. I have delivery instructions on my profile and I have a deck Box sitting outside my front door right under my mailbox,  which you don't even have to walk up any steps you just have to come up the driveway. The Box has a sign on it saying Amazon, UPS USPS, fedex please leave packages in the Box. I bought the Box and the sign from Amazon lol, But they still continue to leave my packages out in the open, on the ground where some porch pirate can come by and just pick them up. Some of my packages are so light weight that I've actually had to Chase them down the street on a windy day. I kinda wished they worked for tips. I bet things would change then

20221222_170128.jpg

The wind problem is an issue for me too. I have a porch and instead they just left them in front of the garage, instructions left on every order. I called numerous times about it and eventually had to be a Karen about it. Just like with everything these days, until you have a meltdown, nobody takes you seriously. I must be flagged on some sort of attribute on the delivery report, because they always put them where they should go now.

I've had a few problems with delivery drivers not following instructions as well!

One of my pet hates is when drivers insist on knocking (or using the letter box to knock) and then immediately using the doorbell to announce that they are at the door! It really does get on my nerves... Why?. It's to do with auditory processing due to being autistic. We usually put on our delivery instructions (if they are able to) "Knock or use doorbell, DO NOT USE BOTH AT THE SAME TIME!" However.... We have Amazon drivers ignore that, and we have challenged them about ignoring it. The response was "don't have time to read delivery instructions, and I ignore all of them!" We complained to Amazon, and the response back was "this is not the sort of person we want delivering for us, there is a reason for delivery instructions!" We never saw that driver again.

I have had drivers from DPD ignore instructions, and did not like being challenged about it. Next delivery I had that used them, the driver decided that all he was going to do was to push a card through the door, instead of attempting to deliver my parcel. I was in the house at the time, and caught him doing this. His excuse - he didn't like being told to follow our delivery instructions, and did not like it when we challenged him about it - so decided not to knock on the door to deliver my parcel. Call to the local depot to complain and he's not been around since! 

The worst of all companies in the UK is Hermes/Evri! In the area I live we have had scores of parcels delivered to the wrong street, wrong house, wrong flats, or quite often the case, just go missing entirely! In fact we have had a spate of doorstep thefts where the parcels have literally been taken in broad daylight, moments after being delivered! All of them connected to Hermes/Evri deliveries. We've even had them just dump the parcel on the doorstep, no knock, no ring of the doorbell, and only when I've checked to find out what's been happening about the order have I found that the parcel had been delivered, and I found it outside the front door!!!!! I shudder when any company I order from tell me that the delivery will be made by this sorry excuse for a courier company!

On 17/02/2021 at 21:33, jnelsoninjax said:

Is it an Amazon truck delivering the package or a third party? If it's UPS or FedEx your complaints would be better directed at them.

On 29/01/2022 at 08:01, Matthew S. said:

Amazon isn't a courier company (eg. DHL, USPS, .... even UPS (UPS is the worst of the worst in canada)), the delivery end of amazon doesn't care about customer service nor do they care about the contents of the packages.

Actually Amazon does delivery a lot of their packages these days (at least in the US). You don't have those Amazon trucks zooming around all over the place? Granted the drivers are mostly not Amazon employees but contracts but it's "Amazon" delivering the packages.

It's the opposite in the US as UPS is usually more problem free and easier to work with. DHL or FedEx?  Good luck!

Edited by Good Bot, Bad Bot

On 07/01/2023 at 00:40, treker_ed said:

One of my pet hates is when drivers insist on knocking (or using the letter box to knock) and then immediately using the doorbell to announce that they are at the door! It really does get on my nerves... Why?. It's to do with auditory processing due to being autistic.

There's a fix for that condition, ensure the letterbox can't "knock" have it padded or something.

Having been a driver myself (30 years ago) even with instructions, the hectic pace of the day can get you forgetting or missing an instruction that has no bearing on the outcome of the delivery.

Really, you need to accommodate your visitors as well as yourself in this situation.

• Like 1

Ya hey, this is not just a Amazon thing - even in South Africa, all the courier companies here never follow instructions - even simple ones like "call before coming so I can be ready"

On 06/01/2023 at 23:40, treker_ed said:

The worst of all companies in the UK is Hermes/Evri! In the area I live we have had scores of parcels delivered to the wrong street, wrong house, wrong flats, or quite often the case, just go missing entirely! In fact we have had a spate of doorstep thefts where the parcels have literally been taken in broad daylight, moments after being delivered! All of them connected to Hermes/Evri deliveries. We've even had them just dump the parcel on the doorstep, no knock, no ring of the doorbell, and only when I've checked to find out what's been happening about the order have I found that the parcel had been delivered, and I found it outside the front door!!!!! I shudder when any company I order from tell me that the delivery will be made by this sorry excuse for a courier company!

I'm with you on that one, I sent a parcel to a business client on 12th December with next day delivery, it still hasn't got there. They claim to have tried to deliver it on a Saturday, and again at 9PM on the following Wednesday evening!! Not a single update since 21st December!  Never going to use Evri again. The worst thing is that they don't have any kind of customer support, go to the webchat and it just parrots what you already know from the tracking system. No human interaction at all. and thier customer telephone number is only for account holders.

Edited by WiltshireHam