• 0

What is good alternative to Google Authenticatior? (Not phone dependent)


Question

+jnelsoninjax

I just ran into the issue where I have 2FA enabled on many accounts, and used Google Authenticator to store the OTK, but when I upgraded my phone, I forgot that the auth data does not manually copy over, and wiped the old device. Now most of the accounts have backup codes that I can use, but some do not, and I have to wait for support to remove the 2FA from the account so I can access it. Can I use programs like Bitwarden to save the 2FA/OTK's?

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
+BudMan

One of the things I like about Authy..  I have it on 3 devices. And they sync https://authy.com/features/multiple-devices/

 

So even if my phone bit the dust... I still have everything on my ipad, and my PC..  I could get a new phone or IP, or new PC - just enable multiple devices, and then sync up new device.  And there you go all my 2fa again..

 

And they also have backup.. https://authy.com/features/backup/

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Joe User

I've always been a fan on Microsoft Authenticator on Android, but on Windows I use WinAuth.

 

WinAuth is open source, very basic, and isn't supported, but it works and honestly, there's not much in there that can break. I'm not a big fan of syncing the second factor across devices and platforms automatically, but that's a personal preference.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Tantawi
On 05/03/2021 at 21:31, jnelsoninjax said:

I just ran into the issue where I have 2FA enabled on many accounts, and used Google Authenticator to store the OTK, but when I upgraded my phone, I forgot that the auth data does not manually copy over, and wiped the old device. Now most of the accounts have backup codes that I can use, but some do not, and I have to wait for support to remove the 2FA from the account so I can access it. Can I use programs like Bitwarden to save the 2FA/OTK's?

Yes, Bitwarden premium can do that. Best $10/y ever spent IMHO.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+jnelsoninjax
22 minutes ago, Tantawi said:

Yes, Bitwarden premium can do that. Best $10/y ever spent IMHO.

I will look into that, thanks for the info.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Marujan

Microsoft Authenticator is okey

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Son_Of_Dad
On 06/03/2021 at 08:20, Joe User said:

I've always been a fan on Microsoft Authenticator on Android, but on Windows I use WinAuth.

I can't understand why Microsoft can't assign someone to Authenticator for Windows 10 for a few hours they had it for Windows Phone from memory

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+jnelsoninjax

Question: I have Authy on the desktop and cell, but the desktop is not syncing all the stored codes from the cell. What do I have to do to enable that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+BudMan

https://support.authy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016451334-Authy-2FA-Account-Tokens-Not-Synching-Between-Devices-or-Installs

 

Verify Authy Backups are Enabled

The first troubleshooting step is to verify that backups are enabled on your main Authy device. If backups aren't setup, your 2FA tokens won't be synchronized to the new device.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+jnelsoninjax
9 hours ago, BudMan said:

https://support.authy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016451334-Authy-2FA-Account-Tokens-Not-Synching-Between-Devices-or-Installs

 

Verify Authy Backups are Enabled

The first troubleshooting step is to verify that backups are enabled on your main Authy device. If backups aren't setup, your 2FA tokens won't be synchronized to the new device.

Thanks, it turned out that it was synced, it just had a generic name (email address) instead of the site name, so I thought it was not syncing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+BudMan

So you like sofar?  Been using it for couple years or so.. I am pretty happy with it..  I like the desktop version as well - since don't always have my phone next to me..

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+jnelsoninjax

Yeah I like it, the interface is nicer then Google and the syncing is a very nice feature.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.