PC & Laptop to the same monitor

Cosmin

Hi guys,

I'm coming with a request in order to find out the proper solution in connecting my single monitor to the pc & work laptop.

The ideea is as attached :

- monitor can support hdmi/display port.

- pc also

- laptop by using the docking station.

My goal is to have both always connected and switch to the active one..once is started. After work I also have some tasks to cover on my pc and I don't want anymore to switch manually display-port cable from docking-to-pc.

Connected pc with DP and docking with HDMI. Monitor switches ok (being set on automatic) between them but.. the connection with HDMi on Laptop(docking) results in a very bright image on the monitor. Cannot explain why.. Any ideeas?

I don't plan to change monitor brightness settings on every switch as you imagine. ūüėĀ

Any suggestion ?

Until then.. I'm switching manually the DP cable. Will affect somehow the connectors?

Thanks!

Untitled.jpg

+Dick Montage

I mean, I do this all the time, and whichever computer wakes up, the monitor just switches to.  Else I just use the input selector on the side of the monitor.  Or am I missing something?

• Thanks 1
Mindovermaster

Yeah, it's very easy to do. Not sure what your problem is..

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
goretsky

Hello,

You could get a KVM switch and plug both the desktop computer and the Thunderbolt 3 dock into it, so they can share the same keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Cosmin

The main problem is that from HDMI I'm getting a very bright image on the monitor. With DP everything's fine.  

And as @Dick Montage mentioned..it switches automatically from different inputs..which is ok.

what can I do?

Nick H.
18 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

The main problem is that from HDMI I'm getting a very bright image on the monitor. With DP everything's fine. 

Can you not lower the brightness within the Windows settings? That way it would only affect that computer.

image.png.8342f6b714e87e663c49020be23dbfbc.png

+Dick Montage
40 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Can you not lower the brightness within the Windows settings? That way it would only affect that computer.

image.png.8342f6b714e87e663c49020be23dbfbc.png

Doesn't that exist only for laptops?  It literally adjusts the backlight of the laptop monitor I believe.

Windows should output a clear image with no adjustments.  I think @Cosmin has a monitor that stores his settings globally, whereas some (admittedly, fewer) store them against the input?

• Like 1
Nick H.
40 minutes ago, Dick Montage said:

Doesn't that exist only for laptops?  It literally adjusts the backlight of the laptop monitor I believe.

Ah, that's possible. Come to think of it I'm not sure the last time I had a desktop - I bought a gaming rig a few months back but haven't been able to set it up yet.

• Like 1
+Dick Montage

@Cosmin - it's very much the wrong thing to do but you COULD adjust your gamma settings within Windows.

Start -> "Calibrate display colour"

Sulphy

Just curious, but why dont you just RDP to your laptop from the PC?

That is how i have mine setup, granted, i have 2 screens, so my work laptop RDP session is one 1 screen, and my personal PC on the other.... makes it easier to be able to use the same keyboard and mouse for both!

Cosmin
Posted (edited)

My goal : 

Laptop >> HDMI

PC >> Display-Port

I have bluetooth mouse& keyboard (logitech) so no problem for switching them from laptop to pc.

it's very much the wrong thing to do but you COULD adjust your gamma settings within Windows.

@Dick Montage - I must try.. on laptop. So brightness settings will depend on.. laptop w10.

has a monitor that stores his settings globally, whereas some (admittedly, fewer) store them against the input?

Yes.. has no specific settings for hdmi and DP output. Haven't heard something like this anyway.

Jim K

How bright is the monitor if connected directly to the notebook with HDMI? I doubt it is an issue with the dock which can be verified with a direct connect.  

With respect to brightness ... afaik Windows 10 can't control the brightness of an external monitor...for whatever reason (guess they figure the monitor controls themselves adjust the brightness). 

However, and without knowing the notebook but assuming it is running the Intel GPU.... can't you adjust the brightness of the monitor in the Intel HD graphics control panel?  I know that is one way to adjust the brightness on an external monitor (I just tried it on my work computer).

If not....what monitor is this? It doesn't have a "presents" shortcut key where you can quickly load the appropriate brightness?  Surprised one input on it is much brighter than the other....

Cosmin

Hi @Jim K

- I'll try to connect direcly & come back with results. 

- Laptop : Dell Precision 5540 nVidia Quadro T1000 4GB

- Monitor : Dell 2719D. Even if presets are available I don't want to set them 5 times/week. 

Cosmin

So : 

1. I have the same high-brightness result by conecting through docking-station and directly to the laptop. 

2. There're presets but I want to avoid manually selecting them every time. 

3. Tried to lower from (additional) intel graphics.. but results are not as expected. The best works directly from the monitor.

- could be the hdmi cable? any other suggestions are welcome!

Brandon H
1 minute ago, Cosmin said:

So : 

1. I have the same high-brightness result by conecting through docking-station and directly to the laptop. 

2. There're presets but I want to avoid manually selecting them every time. 

3. Tried to lower from (additional) intel graphics.. but results are not as expected. The best works directly from the monitor.

- could be the hdmi cable? any other suggestions are welcome!

could always be the monitor not treating one of the protocols properly. do you have any other monitor to test with to see if it reacts the same?

display port is infamous for being implemented incorrectly on devices

Cosmin
Posted (edited)

@Brandon H

Oh.. 1 second! just had a test & .. 

- On HDMI(laptop) brightness was set on 75. I've put it on 28 which is ok for my eyes.

- Starting the pc (DP) ; brightness is already set on 48, which is also ok for my eyes. 

Back to laptop (HDMI) - 28 remains which is perfect!

Now.. I have to compare the other values between DP & HDMI?..or remembers everything from DP and all that I adjust will be set (only) on that cable (HDMI).

How are these settings managed by the monitor by the way?