Disney+ pulls ‘Dumbo,’ ‘Peter Pan’ other films from children’s profiles over negative depictions

Disney+ has removed several movies, including “Dumbo,” “Peter Pan,” “The Aristocats” and “Swiss Family Robinson” from children’s profiles on its service over negative depictions and stereotypes.

Adults with Disney+ accounts can still access the films with the content warnings, which appear on screen for about 10-12 seconds before the unedited content.

According to the section of Disney’s website, the decisions to restrict the content for some and add the advisory for everyone else was made for the following reasons:

“Swiss Family Robinson” (1960): “The pirates who antagonize the Robinson family are portrayed as a stereotypical foreign menace. Many appear in ‘yellow face’ or ‘brown face’ and are costumed in an exaggerated and inaccurate manner with top knot hairstyles, queues, robes and overdone facial make-up and jewelry, reinforcing their barbarism and ‘otherness.’”

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/disney-pulls-dumbo-peter-pan-other-films-from-childrens-profiles-over-negative-depictions/

I think the one in the list above that confuses me the most is Swiss Family Robinsons. You can't just have bad guys anymore? Reading it there's not even an actual stereotype other than "pirate". I also find it interesting they're removing it from the Kids selection when most kids won't even care about this (it's the parents that care).

14 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/disney-pulls-dumbo-peter-pan-other-films-from-childrens-profiles-over-negative-depictions/

I think the one in the list above that confuses me the most is Swiss Family Robinsons. You can't just have bad guys anymore? Reading it there's not even an actual stereotype other than "pirate". I also find it interesting they're removing it from the Kids selection when most kids won't even care about this (it's the parents that care).

This is just the begining. That is why now for years in the past, companies twisted their arms for these idiots, now the snowball has grew huge so there's no turning back. The companies can no longer say "SCREW YOU SENSITIVE PEOPLE". Oh no! They now have to keep changing. There's no end. 

Mark my words, tomorrow it'll be something else. It's just a chilish reaction from the mob that are sensitive

21 minutes ago, Jumping Jacinta said:

Oh look, it's the Republican I wish it was the old days thread.

giphy.gif

You don't think it's dumb?

• Like 1

Oh God this is insanity and just as bad as Warner censoring Tom and Jerry.

• Like 3

Pepé Le Pew under fire as well. Loony Toons in general have been for a little while because of "violence". Sorry, growing up I never had a desire to drop an anvil on anyone.  

On 09/03/2021 at 19:38, freedonX said:

Mark my words, tomorrow it'll be something else. It's just a chilish reaction from the mob that are sensitive

Cancel culture. Gotta love it. 

2 hours ago, techbeck said:

This does not make much sense either. No guns, but plenty of other stuff that is considered worse. 

Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam no longer have guns in new 'Looney Tunes Cartoons'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/08/entertainment/looney-tunes-reboot-guns-trnd/index.html

THATS STUPID F**** these F****ING Snow flakes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These companies need to stop being parents and let the parents make the decisions for themselves what kids can and can't watch.

You can still find the older cartoons out there with ease if you want to watch classics which that is all I would show my kids... screw this new crap.

I'm prob gonna pull my disney+ sub when it runs out..I only have it for the mandalorian and well Wandavision but there are other places to find these free.

So, the parent has to approve it and it's not just automatically in the kids profile.

Wow.

Much controversy. So outrage. 

Its hard to look in the mirror without the hood on for some of you. In the old days, hoods were a requirement.  But now you get to see just a fraction of what non whites have been forced to accept as "normal" for generations. Its gonna sting for a while but remember its part of the learning process.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sava700 said:

These companies need to stop being parents and let the parents make the decisions for themselves what kids can and can't watch.

That's part of the problem. More broken homes and many parents are not as attentive these days.  

3 hours ago, warwagon said:

THATS STUPID F**** these F****ING Snow flakes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, lol. Triggered much. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I say make everything available by choice... just don't force anything down someone's throat like forced reading in school etc...

stories do have historical context for the time they where written in, etc... let the people decide what they want to read and watch if they choose to...

DIsney didn't ban them, they just made it an option

49 minutes ago, neufuse said:

I say make everything available by choice... just don't force anything down someone's throat like forced reading in school etc...

stories do have historical context for the time they where written in, etc... let the people decide what they want to read and watch if they choose to...

DIsney didn't ban them, they just made it an option

I appreciate the clarification here, as the source article implies that they've been pulled completely from child profiles and only remain available to adult profiles. But even so, I feel that it's not really necessary as they already had the disclaimers on these titles. Well, unless parents just let the kids go ham with the movies on the kids profiles then I guess that makes sense. Personally I'd not let my kids watch movies without me or my wife in the room with them if possible (and we'd be the ones putting them on).

It's pretty different than it used to be, where kids could only pick from the selection on their shelves. But I also think parents are a lot more hands-off with their kids, assuming that these services are going to do their job for them.

Geez and I was worried about the pandemic, job losses and people being unable to feed and shelter themselves. Boy, do I feel stupid.

Shall we talk about  the hypocrisy of Trump cancelling everyone who didn't support/vote for him and most of the GOP going along with it?

Edited by hagjohn
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

It's pretty different than it used to be, where kids could only pick from the selection on their shelves. But I also think parents are a lot more hands-off with their kids, assuming that these services are going to do their job for them.

That's the problem. Things are really different than what they used to be.  Personally, I see some in my family hands off letting other things teach their kids without parent input. And then some do it the old school way. Night and day difference. 

11 hours ago, Jumping Jacinta said:

Wow, lol. Triggered much. 🤣

It's just so stupid, why is everyone so worked up over something that everyone was ok with for 67+ Years. Back then there weren't even any mass shootings. So I doubt Almer Fud and his gun were an issue.

Just now, warwagon said:

It's just so stupid, why is everyone so worked up over something that everyone was ok with for 67+ Years. Back then there weren't even any mass shootings. So I doubt Almer Fud and his gun were an issue.

yea...not everyone is worked up over it even though it is stupid.  :)