Can’t boot my new SSD.

TwillyZ

Hello!

I just bought a new SSD and tried to install windows on it, but my USB won’t boot (it shows a black screen with cursor in the top, left corner). Tried to use an older Windows version, but it also stucks, just shows the Windows logo (Windows 10). Tried a lot of things in BIOS, reseting, updating, CMOS battery remove, RAM is ok, checked it, I press all the time F11 to choose what do I need to boot. I also used rufus and Windows Media Creation Tool (or dik how is called the oficiall windows installer). So I installed Windows on SSD on my friends PC (with USB tried to use on my pc), but it also refuse to boot it (also stucks on that damn black screen). Windows on my old HDD works fine and the system boot just the hard disk. I also tried to unplug all other devices from pc (graphics card, HDD, mouse, keyboard, camera etc.

I have a ECS MCP61M-M3 v1-0.a motherboard. (does not support AHCI)

Please help, don’t know what to do.

Mindovermaster

You mean an internal SSD or a USB Flash Drive? Never say you used a second USB stick. Just wanna be sure. ;)

I think your problem is that AHCI not supported.

Did you try a Linux Distro? You didn't ever mention that, but you mentioned Rufus.

Steven P.
51 minutes ago, TwillyZ said:

Windows on my old HDD works fine and the system boot just the hard disk. 

If Windows boots fine with the harddisk and not the SSD then maybe the BIOS is not starting the SSD? 

You need to try and see in the BIOS if you can select the SSD as the boot drive.

Also to be very clear, you cannot boot Windows from an external drive: https://www.quora.com/Can-you-run-Windows-10-on-a-laptop-from-an-external-SDD-The-idea-is-to-make-the-external-SSD-the-primary-drive

First, Windows 10 CANNOT be installed on any kind of USB device. It simply doesn’t work. The Windows installer will refuse to install (you will get the message “windows cannot be installed on this disk”). So this is not a solution.

If you install Windows 10 o a fixed drive and then clone that drive to an external SSD, Windows won’t boot. The bootloader will load, but it will either throw an error or just freeze at the blue flag and it won’t go further. Why? Because Windows, by default, searched for a fixed drive as system. It will NEVER look for any kind of external drive (flash, SSD, etc.) when it searches for the system partition.

So if you installed on your friends PC and then cloned to an external SSD, that will not work, it needs to be a fixed SSD connected to an internal SATA port on the motherboard.

• Thanks 1
Marujan

use MBR on rufus and bios on target system (UEFI is wrong for you)

TwillyZ
12 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

You mean an internal SSD or a USB Flash Drive? Never say you used a second USB stick. Just wanna be sure. ;)

I think your problem is that AHCI not supported.

Did you try a Linux Distro? You didn't ever mention that, but you mentioned Rufus.

And the SSD, and the USB won’t boot. I want to install Windows. I read somewhere that AHCI not supported is not crucial. Last installed windows on this pc was windows 10, in 2016, I used rufus to make an USB with that windows (the same USB and the same Windows, still won’t boot)

TwillyZ
10 hours ago, Marujan said:

use MBR on rufus and bios on target system (UEFI is wrong for you)

Tried that, USB refusing to boot.

TwillyZ
11 hours ago, Steven P. said:

If Windows boots fine with the harddisk and not the SSD then maybe the BIOS is not starting the SSD? 

You need to try and see in the BIOS if you can select the SSD as the boot drive.

Also to be very clear, you cannot boot Windows from an external drive: https://www.quora.com/Can-you-run-Windows-10-on-a-laptop-from-an-external-SDD-The-idea-is-to-make-the-external-SSD-the-primary-drive

So if you installed on your friends PC and then cloned to an external SSD, that will not work, it needs to be a fixed SSD connected to an internal SATA port on the motherboard.

I can select the SSD to be as a boot device in my BIOS, and I installed on a friends PC directly with my usb in my SSD, a clear install windows (unplugged his SSD and put mine). If it worked on his pc I think there’s the problem in my motherboard.

goretsky

Hello,

First things first.  Make sure you have the latest BIOS firmware installed for your ECS Group MCP61M-M3 v1.0A motherboard, which can be downloaded from ECS' web site at https://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_DOWNLOAD/HE/Motherboard/MCP61M-M3 -LL-V1-DO-0A-RR-/Socket AM3-LL-AMD-RR-.  After installing that, reset all the BIOS options to their defaults, per page 25 of your motherboard's manual, available for download on the same page.  Make sure the BIOS is set to AHCI mode, per the screen shots starting on page 62.

Next, check with the manufacturer of the new SSD you purchased.  Although it may be new, it may also have older firmware as well.  Update that according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Lastly, download the latest chipset device drivers for your motherboard from Nvidia's web site at https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/14875/en-us.  These are for Windows 7 since they were last updated twelve years ago in 2009, but it is possible they will work on newer versions of Windows.  Have unzipped and copied to a CD-R, DVD±RW or USB flash drive in case you are prompted for them during installation.

To simplify things and prevent installation of the operating system to the wrong drive, I would suggest disconnecting all drives except the 2.5" SATA SSD to which you are installing Windows before turning the computer.  The CD/DVD drive can remain connected, though.  Once installation of the operating system is finished and the computer is powered down, you can once again plug in any other drives to the computer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1
TwillyZ
23 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

First things first.  Make sure you have the latest BIOS firmware installed for your ECS Group MCP61M-M3 v1.0A motherboard, which can be downloaded from ECS' web site at https://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_DOWNLOAD/HE/Motherboard/MCP61M-M3 -LL-V1-DO-0A-RR-/Socket AM3-LL-AMD-RR-.  After installing that, reset all the BIOS options to their defaults, per page 25 of your motherboard's manual, available for download on the same page.  Make sure the BIOS is set to AHCI mode, per the screen shots starting on page 62.

Next, check with the manufacturer of the new SSD you purchased.  Although it may be new, it may also have older firmware as well.  Update that according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Lastly, download the latest chipset device drivers for your motherboard from Nvidia's web site at https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/14875/en-us.  These are for Windows 7 since they were last updated twelve years ago in 2009, but it is possible they will work on newer versions of Windows.  Have unzipped and copied to a CD-R, DVD±RW or USB flash drive in case you are prompted for them during installation.

To simplify things and prevent installation of the operating system to the wrong drive, I would suggest disconnecting all drives except the 2.5" SATA SSD to which you are installing Windows before turning the computer.  The CD/DVD drive can remain connected, though.  Once installation of the operating system is finished and the computer is powered down, you can once again plug in any other drives to the computer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thank you for detailed trying to help me. But at the paghe 62  it starts explaining how to install eJIFFY, I don't need that. And do my motherboard support AHCI mode? I don\t have it, or i don\t know how to turn it on. My BIOS is the ultimate version for my motherboard or I should try installing BIOS not for v1-0a (which is my motherboard) but for simply MCP61M-M3 that is newer MCP61M-M3.

goretsky

Hello,

If you have the latest BIOS installed then you are fine.  There are screenshots on page 62 of your motherboard's manual showing what the BIOS looks like—the actual instructions there are for something else, but that shows you what the screens in there look like.

I am not actually familiar with this motherboard, and am looking at the downloaded manual for it.  You may need to contact ECS directly for assistance if you cannot determine where to check if AHCI is enabled.  Contact information for various offices around the world can be found on their web site at https://www.ecs.com.tw/en/about/contact.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky