How to charge the Xbox controller?

Hello. Yes I do know that my question sound stupid but I am not sure exactly how to charge my new Xbox series x controller. I brought a USB to type c cable and connected the controller to the front USB port. It is charging but I noticed that the console turns on if it is off, which I don't need if I am going to sleep.

I tried also to use my phone charger and power bank (which I kept over night) but the next day when I checked it charged only 50%.

So please don't laugh at me, it has been 10 years since I was playing on my Xbox 360. 

Note:

If some one is wondering I am using the batteries that came with the Xbox box.

Any Idea how may mAh are the batteries? I think it is 850 mAh? Can I get 2000 mAh from the super market?

Please advice me. And thank you.

31 minutes ago, deep1234 said:

Hello. Yes I do know that my question sound stupid but I am not sure exactly how to charge my new Xbox series x controller. I brought a USB to type c cable and connected the controller to the front USB port. It is charging but I noticed that the console turns on if it is off, which I don't need if I am going to sleep.

I tried also to use my phone charger and power bank (which I kept over night) but the next day when I checked it charged only 50%.

So please don't laugh at me, it has been 10 years since I was playing on my Xbox 360. 

Note:

If some one is wondering I am using the batteries that came with the Xbox box.

Any Idea how may mAh are the batteries? I think it is 850 mAh? Can I get 2000 mAh from the super market?

Please advice me. And thank you.

That batteries that came with the controller are probably not rechargable so don't try and recharge.

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/help/hardware-network/controller/using-batteries-in-xbox-wireless-controller#:~:text=Note The new Xbox Wireless,cable provided in the kit.&text=Recharge these batteries by the method recommended by the manufacturer.

Edited by SnoopZ

You either get the play and charge kit and use that or use rechargeable AA batteries you can buy at the store which have their own charger.  Best option IMO, cost wise, is to get rechargeable AA with their own charger, you get 4 iirc.  You can use 2 and have 2 ready and charged for when you need to swap.

The ones that come with the system are just normal AA bats.  If you don't have any that's when you use the USB-C cable and connect it to your console, that powers it so you can play but it won't charge the batteries.

If your controller uses standard AA's, I highly recommend the standard Eneloop batteries (which are THE best all-around rechargable batteries you can buy (just the standard 2000mAh white ones, not the Eneloop Pro)) as you will buy those once, and even if you use them a lot, you will easily get several years of use out of them.

I recharge my NiMh batteries (Eneloop etc) with a Powerex C9000 charger (which the charger is about $50 the last I checked as I had mine since 2013 and it's one of the best NiMh chargers you can buy and has been around many years now). but any cheap charger will work well enough.

p.s. I always prefer NiMh tech over Lithium-ion and the like simply because NiMh is more reliable long term and can easily be replaced with quality batteries into the distant future unlike many devices that use rechargeable lithium tech to where the battery ends up going to crap and eventually you might have problems replacing it with a quality battery which is never the case when devices use standard AA/AAA's. this is why my old Sansa e200 series digital audio player ended up being so-so for me in recent memory as while it's still a solid device for playing music, you can no longer find quality replacement batteries for them, so the device ends up being semi-useless. but if it ran on regular AA/AAA's the device would still be solid.

on a side note... if a person has a Nintedo Wii, I noticed the controllers on them eat batteries even if your not using it as a while ago I had Eneloop's in there and it was sitting maybe a month or a few months etc and you could see the batteries were noticeably more drained than they normally would be in a typical device. so if your using batteries in a Wii, and your not using it regularly, you should remove the batteries from the Wii controller (if it's going to sit for weeks or longer without use) as that thing somewhat eats batteries just sitting there which is odd as this does not seem to be a issue with XBox360 controller etc.

Edited by ThaCrip

Thanks guys. I got Energizer rechargeable batteries are my local store and so far so good.

Just a small thing, I connect the USB to type c cable to a USB port at the back of the Xbox. It was charging ok and I turned off the XBOX for about 7 hours. Then when I wanted to play I noticed that the battery didn't charge.

Should the Xbox charge the controller even when it is switched OFF? Or only when it is ON? How do you guys charge? 

Your controller will not charge your batteries. 

You'll need a separate charger, as mentioned above, to charge your batteries 

3 hours ago, deep1234 said:

I got Energizer rechargeable batteries are my local store and so far so good.

While those will probably be okay (as they will still last a while), standard Eneloop's (2000mAh rated) are the gold standard of NiMh for all-around longevity.

one last thing... as a general guideline, NiMh batteries that are 'made in Japan' will last longer (like overall lifespan of the batteries) than 'made in China'. I have some Energizer NiMh AAA's (800mAh rated (which my Powerex c9000 confirms they are actually 800mAh)) that are 'made in Japan'. but you will likely see 'made in China' for most NiMh batteries off the top of my head. but just looking at where they are made will give you a pretty good indicator of their overall quality. but if you don't want to mess around, buy standard Eneloop  (2000mAh rated (for AA's (for AAA's they are 800mAh)) and forget about it ;)

p.s. and as already mentioned, you need a separate charger.

Edited by ThaCrip