Anyway to setup auto login for 2FA?

Mockingbird

My university set up an annoying Two-Factor Authentication for all logins.

Now, if I need to log in to anything, I get a phone call from the University 2FA and have to press a number (i.e. 1).

It gets very annoying when it has to be done multiple times a day.

Is it possible to setup so that anytime I receive a call from the university's 2FA, the phone automatically pickup and dial 1 ?

adrynalyne

Auto logging in for 2FA completely defeats the purpose of 2FA. 

• Like 1
Mockingbird
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Auto logging in for 2FA completely defeats the purpose of 2FA. 

I don't really need or want 2FA.

There is no option to turn it off.

adrynalyne
29 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Ah well. Guess you will have to deal with it then. 

Sikh

There's a reason 2FA exists and your university turned it on because of security. Whether you want it or not doesnt matter since they are protecting themselves and your data. The fact that you dont want 2FA doesnt make sense. What are your reasons for not wanting extra security? Is it because of phone call 2fa and not app based?

Mockingbird
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Sikh said:

There's a reason 2FA exists and your university turned it on because of security. Whether you want it or not doesnt matter since they are protecting themselves and your data. The fact that you dont want 2FA doesnt make sense. What are your reasons for not wanting extra security? Is it because of phone call 2fa and not app based?

Unlike most other people these days, I don't have a phone on me 24/7.

It's very annoying that every time I login (which is multiple times a day), I have to go find a phone.

adrynalyne
10 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

It's very annoying that every time I login (which is multiple times a day), I have to go find a phone.

#firstworldproblems

I wish that was the only annoying thing i had to worry about. 

Sikh
3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

#firstworldproblems

I wish that was the only annoying thing i had to worry about. 

This. I get you might not be the 1% that doesnt have a phone on them all the time but since more and more people are getting hacked "very easily" it  makes sense that a university of all places starts enabling 2FA. If you personally dont own a phone, get a cheap prepaid and youll never have to worry about it.

If you dont want a phone, get a hardware based 2FA device like a yubikey and have your university IT department register it to your account. They will be happy to see that you are using a hardware based 2FA and youll be happy not having to carry a phone. Its a win win for both parties

Mockingbird
29 minutes ago, Sikh said:

This. I get you might not be the 1% that doesnt have a phone on them all the time but since more and more people are getting hacked "very easily" it  makes sense that a university of all places starts enabling 2FA. If you personally dont own a phone, get a cheap prepaid and youll never have to worry about it.

If you dont want a phone, get a hardware based 2FA device like a yubikey and have your university IT department register it to your account. They will be happy to see that you are using a hardware based 2FA and youll be happy not having to carry a phone. Its a win win for both parties

The idea that I have to get another device just so that I can login is ridiculous.

adrynalyne
1 minute ago, Mockingbird said:

The idea that I have to get another device just so that I can login is ridiculous.

Drop a message in your Uni's complaint box.

Marujan
2 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

You dont, but your University of California, Santa Barbara need it for safety

• Like 2
Sikh
57 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

To me them taking your security / their security is more important. If it really bothers you that much, complain to them or make them give you a 2FA device or just don't log into anything. 

I could see complaining about this back in the day when technology wasnt so prominent but complaining about it now is weird to me. I feel like you should've went to college in the 2000's. No one gave a ###### about security, they let you keep your email forever until they randomly deleted it on you cause you had it for too long, no teacher/professor relied on tech, etc.

I had to go through school in the 2000s and I really wish I would've been able to go to school now. I prefer the computer / tech approach than the old chisel and tablet approach

Marujan
1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

go your University Profile settings and change it to Google 2FA

So you can run 2 copies, 1 on main phone, 2nd on shltty $60 Android phone from Walmart and keep it next to your PC for fast authentication

+Randomevent
On 09/04/2021 at 21:47, Marujan said:

go your University Profile settings and change it to Google 2FA

So you can run 2 copies, 1 on main phone, 2nd on shltty $60 Android phone from Walmart and keep it next to your PC for fast authentication

Eh, I just picked up a $90 Android 10 Go tablet I could use for that.  So far I only plan to use it for chatting though.

Superuser
On 09/04/2021 at 20:14, Mockingbird said:

Your university thinks they have a need for that level of protection.

On 09/04/2021 at 20:53, Mockingbird said:

You don't have your phone on you 24/7? I don't understand... Do you share your phone with someone? LOL

Edited by Superuser