Is this computer any good?

Hardware-wise I feel like they're all about the same now. They pretty much all get made at the same factory in China and have different names slapped on them.

Customer service on the other hand, yeah. Acer is probably near the bottom of the barrel as far as that goes but you'll probably be fine. Overall computers are pretty reliable.

Edited by Harpo

45 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

Just found out my computer doesn't have a rear exhaust fan.

There a placement for one? Can simply buy a fan and strap it on.

But being that low powered, I'd doubt you need one.

I got this computer today. Is it any good?

The answer to this really depends what you are going to use it for.  For browsing the web, watching videos, e-mail, playing Minecraft.  Yes, it's fine.  For 4k gaming, no it sucks.

You don't need an exhaust fan, it will be fine without one.  But if you really want to fit one, there is a mount... along with a side mount for an inlet fan.

On 18/04/2021 at 13:33, CastletonSnob said:

Sorry, everyone. Just a bit worried that my computer will die early.

Well if you're that worried, then return it and replace with a different model, or pay extra for something that has a warranty that specifies on-site repair or provides a replacement if your computer must be shipped out for repair. Hardware failures are unpredictable, and you need to consider that OEMs that put these computers together source hardware components from different vendors that themselves have different reputations for reliability - the point being that sure it's Acer but Acer means a box containing Samsung, Micron, Phillips, Panasonic, Hynix, Intel, etc, etc parts). Your CPU probably isn't going to die suddenly. Other modular components like RAM or your HDD are most likely to go but also trivially cheap to replace/repair yourself. I'm thinking that with this particular computer the real "gotcha" parts that would die on you are the PSU or maybe a fan bearing for whatever's on the CPU heatsink, but they could well last 5 or 10 years too.

• 1 month later...