AirTags and family members... what if the AirTag is with the 'unknown' family member?!

kiddingguy

I just received my Apple AirTag and connected it to my car keys.

Just a question.. when my girlfriend (not in my Family account) is using the car... the AirTag will make some noise. I read that she can disable this message/sound for 24 hours each time.

But... is there also some setting as 'trusted device', like "Yes, I know it's not my AirTag, but it's OK it's coming and traveling with me?"

Or..... will the may be implemented in a future firmware-/iOS-update?

Sikh

As far as im aware, the airtag wont automatically make a noise especially when its with someone else / "unknown" person. 

Where did you read that it will automatically make a noise if its lost/with someone else? I want to read more about it cause I havent seen anything say it makes a noise by itself especially when lost, that would made it counter intuitive 

Yusuf M.
7 hours ago, Sikh said:

As far as im aware, the airtag wont automatically make a noise especially when its with someone else / "unknown" person. 

Where did you read that it will automatically make a noise if its lost/with someone else? I want to read more about it cause I havent seen anything say it makes a noise by itself especially when lost, that would made it counter intuitive 

It has to be moved when it's away from the registered owner. See here:

If you hear an AirTag making a sound

When moved, any AirTag separated for a period of time from the person who registered it will make a sound to alert those nearby. If you find an AirTag after hearing it make a sound, you can use any device that has NFC, such as an iPhone or Android phone, to see if its owner marked it as lost and help return it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212227

• Like 1
Sikh
13 hours ago, Yusuf M. said:

It has to be moved when it's away from the registered owner. See here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212227

Oh wow. That makes sense but totally didnt see this on macrumors or any other site. Thanks for sharing the link! 

kiddingguy
17 hours ago, Sikh said:

Oh wow. That makes sense but totally didnt see this on macrumors or any other site. Thanks for sharing the link! 

It's listed in this support document under "If you see an "AirTag Found Moving With You" message" (as is the case in my example)

"To disable the AirTag and stop sharing your location, tap Instructions to Disable AirTag and follow the onscreen steps."

Does this mean that this AirTag is disabled at all? And does not work anymore, even for the registered owner.

And can this only be re-enabled by the registered owner when s/he has access to it again (on that Apple ID)? Or can you just toss it in the garbage?

However, I would instruct my GF to just go for "If the AirTag is attached to an item you're borrowing, you can tap Pause Safety Alerts to turn off "AirTag Detected" notifications for one day."

But I think that Apple should have worked out such a scenario of borrowing (car)keys to someone.