VR PC and Oculus

dipsylalapo

So I've recently picked up a Quest 2 and am really enjoying using it. (If anyone has any recommended games/apps let me know)

I know that you're able to link the Quest 2 to a desktop PC to get a little more/better graphics out out the Quest 2. I have a basic gaming machine from a few years back but was looking to upgrade it. Not going to lie, it's old and probably laughable. 

I'll list the specs below but I was looking for some recommendations that would make the PC "VR Ready" and be able to deliver a decent experience.

• CPU - Intel Pentium G4560
  • Mobo - Gigabyte - GA-B250M-DS3H 
  • GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
  • RAM - HyperX FURY 8 GB
  • SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
  • PSU - Corsair CP-9020101-UK 450 W

I don't know if any of those parts are useable going forward or whether I should just start from scratch.

Thoughts welcome.

Mindovermaster

I think you need a better GFX card. I'm not 100% sure, though...

Matthew S.

Upgrade the CPU, RAM and Graphics card... at that point may as well just build a new rig...

TheReaperMan
Posted (edited)

To run PC VR well you are going to need a new rig 

Regarding games for the  quest that all depends on what type of game you enjoy or what you have already used.

Edited by TheReaperMan
dipsylalapo

Thanks for the input guys, that's kinda what I figured :)

• Like 1
SouthGate
Posted (edited)

I've been into VR for a few years, owning a Rift S and nearly buying an HP Reverb G2 but realising even a 2080 Ti wouldn't provide a smooth experience at full potential. VR is heavily on demanding on graphics because despite the resolution of an HMD, it actually runs much greater due to pin-cushion effect. The Rift S though advertised to run at 2560x1440 actually runs at something like 3000x2000 at 100% scaling. From my experience I'd say the entry point into VR with something like my Rift S would need to be at a guess something like an RTX 2060/2070, to push the frames and resolution. The Quest 2 is even higher resolution than than the Rift S. There is no way a 1050 Ti will provide a usable or pleasurable experience. You may be able to run Rec Room (on Steam) but I cannot think of any less demanding VR game on PC.

Edited by Broughton

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By LoneWolfSL
      Shadowrun Trilogy is free to claim on the GOG store
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

The final week of GOG's summer sale is upon us, and to finish things off with a bang, the DRM-free storefront is back with another giveaway. This time, it is Shadowrun Trilogy that's available for free, a collection containing complete editions of three titles from the popular cRPG saga.

The Harebrained Schemes-developed games offer a cyberpunk fantasy mashup that uses the setting of the tabletop role-playing game of the same name. Aside from the old-school role-playing game experience, the games also have tactical turn-based combat for when dialog options aren't the best way to go.

The trilogy offer has Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director’s Cut, and Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition in its innards. Aside from the games, bonuses like artbooks and soundtracks from the adventures are included here as well.

The Shadowrun Trilogy offer can be claimed by heading to its GOG store page and following the link to the giveaway, or by simply clicking the glowing claim button on the store's front page. The DRM-free giveaway will last for three days this time, giving you until 1 PM UTC on June 28 before the promotion runs out, which is also when the GOG Summer Sale comes to an end.

• By hellowalkman
      Micro Center apologizes for calling AMD GPUs high-maintenance and outdated
      by Sayan Sen

via MAHSPOONIS2BIG (Reddit) At the moment, finding graphics cards is especially difficult due to the global shortage of chips, although the situation might be improving according to more recent trends. But other times when they are more readily available, deciding between Nvidia and AMD GPUs can be a hard choice to make for most gamers. And things could get even trickier when Intel also enters the scene.

Computer retail giant Micro Center appears to have thought of lending a helping hand by publishing some buying advice of its own. The company wrote certain things that likely didn't go down well with AMD and its fans. Here's what was written:

via Fidler_2K (Reddit) Controversial to say the least, as the post not only called AMD graphics high-maintenance, it also suggested that installing them is more difficult compared to Nvidia's options. It went even further to implicitly state that AMD GPUs don't support modern gaming technologies like Ray Tracing. To sum up, that's a lot of misinformation in a supposed buying guide from one of the largest retailers in North America.

Realizing its mistake, Micro Center hopes to redeem itself and today the company's President and CEO, Rick Mershad, has issued a formal apology about the matter:

There doesn't seem to be an official response from AMD as of yet but we will be sure to let you know if anything pops up.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Steam 2021 Summer Sale is now upon us featuring thousands of deals
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Another Steam Summer Sale has opened its doors, giving PC gamers two weeks of massive discounts to hopefully make their wishlists a little smaller. The annual sale is once again offering deals across almost the entire Steam library, though as usual, the servers are having a little trouble dealing with the initial rush of gamers trying to see the latest discounts.

The front page currently has highlights centered on Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Red Dead Redemption 2, Battlefield V, Monster Hunter World, Valheim, Crusader Kings III, and many other games. Although the discounts won't be changing as the sale goes on like in the old days, the front page's promoted titles – from indies to AAA hits – will still rotate every day to get more eyes on them.

As for the special event accompanying this sale, Valve has a "Forge Your Fate" section that gives out chat stickers for completing a choose your adventure-style storyline. Essentially, it is prompting Steam users to check out dedicated genre pages of the sale that they may not usually browse. For those looking for more profile customizations, the Steam Points Shop has been augmented with a score of novel items including profile bundles, while card collectors can grab one a day by perusing their Discovery Queue.

The Steam Summer Sale 2021 will continue from now until 10AM PT on July 8, giving everyone two whole weeks to look over the behemoth promotion's wares.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Sonic Mania and Horizon Chase Turbo are free on the Epic Games Store
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Epic Games is finishing off its packed June giveaways schedule today, and the store has now brought in copies of Sonic Mania and Horizon Chase Turbo to claim for free. With this, the freebie duo from last week, Overcooked 2 and Hell is Other Demons, have now gone back to their original prices.

The Sonic Mania giveaway lands just as everyone's favorite blue hedgehog celebrates his 30th anniversary. Released in 2017, the side-scrolling platformer has Sonic, Tails and Knuckles speeding through fresh landscapes and remade zones from classic titles in a mission to take down Dr. Robotnik and his henchmen.

Meanwhile, Horizon Chase Turbo comes in as an arcade racing game inspired by classic racers from the 80s and 90s. Other than a competitive ghost mode and leaderboards, any other online multiplayer functionality is not featured here, though there is local four-player split-screen multiplayer support just like in the retro ventures.

Epic Games is offering the Windows versions of both titles. Here are the minimum requirements:

Sonic Mania Horizon Chase Turbo OS: Windows 8/10 CPU: Core 2 Duo GPU: DirectX 9.0c compliant video card 256MB Memory: 2 GB RAM Storage: 400 MB available space DirectX: 9.0c OS: Windows 7 or newer CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz or better GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000 or better Memory: 2 GB RAM Storage: 500 MB available space DirectX: 9.0c The Sonic Mania and Horizon Chase Turbo giveaways will be available through next Thursday, July 1, and claiming a copy means owning it forever via the Epic Games Store. The Spectrum Retreat will be the next giveaway.

• By hellowalkman
      AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution is now available in Dota 2
      by Sayan Sen

With its display driver version 21.6.1, AMD introduced support for its long-awaited image upscaler dubbed FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR). At its launch, FSR was already present in a few titles like Anno 1800, Godfall, The Riftbreaker, Terminator: Resistance, among others, and AMD also promised that more games (image below) with the technology baked-in will follow soon. This announcement also confirmed the previously rumored game support list.

In its latest update, Valve has announced that its massively-popular online battle arena multiplayer Dota 2 is incorporating AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution. This is good news for AMD and its fans as the game becomes the most popular title to receive support for the tech and it has happened within just days of the initial announcement. Close to half a million gamers have played the game in the last 30 days according to Steam. And FSR will also help those Dota players get some extra frames without losing too much in the way of image crispness.

You can run Dota 2 using either DirectX 11 or the Vulkan API and AMD FSR will work with both. In order to enable the setting, head over to the Video options and turn the "Game Screen Render Quality" to less than 100%, and then toggle the "FidelityFX Super Resolution" checkbox on.

The update also brings the new Nemestice Storm event mode and the Nemestice Battle Pass. You can find more details about the new additions here.