One more PoE question

Yeah that is a horrible manual ;)

From my take you could use that port as uplink - say to your network or say a pc or nvr - and it would auto shut off poe.  Or you could connect a camera to it and get poe.  the uplink port can provide no poe..

So the way I see it - the uplink would go to the network (your router)..  And the 4th lan port could connect say a nvr or pc that is not poe.. Or use it as a poe port for camera.  I would prob leave that until some point you need a 4th camera.   Or once you have your cameras work on say ports 1 and 2.  Try moving one to the 4th port.  Does it still work?  Then you know you have 2 more ports you can use for cameras.

59 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Yeah that is a horrible manual ;)

From my take you could use that port as uplink - say to your network or say a pc or nvr - and it would auto shut off poe.  Or you could connect a camera to it and get poe.  the uplink port can provide no poe..

So the way I see it - the uplink would go to the network (your router)..  And the 4th lan port could connect say a nvr or pc that is not poe.. Or use it as a poe port for camera.  I would prob leave that until some point you need a 4th camera.   Or once you have your cameras work on say ports 1 and 2.  Try moving one to the 4th port.  Does it still work?  Then you know you have 2 more ports you can use for cameras.

So you are saying that the camera's should work in ports 1-3 (labeled PoE ports)?

The camera "should" work in 1-4, what I am saying is test 4 after you know they work in 1-3..

Not really clear why they label it like that to be honest.  Other than you almost never would want poe as an uplink port because another switch is not really going to be poe.. etc..  But they mention that it does auto detection if the device connected does poe or not.  Maybe that only works on port 4?

"【AI PD Detection】The poe port will intelligently judge whether the device connected to the port needs power supply. If it is a non-poe device that does not need power supply, the switch will not supply power to these devices and will not damage the device. "

Use the uplink port to connect to rest of your network (your router).. Test that camera works on 1-3.. Then move one of the camera's to port 4 - does it still work?  If so then you know future growth this switch will allow for up to 4 cameras.  As long as you stay under the 52W total power budget.

• Thanks 1

OK, so I finally got both cameras mounted and wired. Now the odd issue: I have both the cameras set up and running, but ~2 or 3 hours later, one decided it is no longer available, but was a few hours ago... I cannot physically reach the camera without a ladder, but I can access the ethernet cable, so I unplugged it and put it back in and it powered up, but then disappeared, so I moved it to a different port on the PoE switch, and that worked for about 10 minutes. I am theorizing that this cheap PoE switch does not provide enough power to run two devices and that is my best theory. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Just to rule out the PoE switch being the issue, I ordered a different one from a known company (TP Link) instead of some cheap POS that I have right now, and the price difference is only around $10

• 1 month later...

Is there any real difference in using a PoE switch vs using PoE injectors?

I knew that, I was just wondering if it makes any difference using the injector over a switch. I'm guessing it really doesn't make any difference.

well, you need a PoE device to read those. Plugging it directly into a router/switch won't do much. You need a PoE port at both ends.

On 20/07/2021 at 18:21, Mindovermaster said:

well, you need a PoE device to read those. Plugging it directly into a router/switch won't do much. You need a PoE port at both ends.

I have a PoE switch right now, I just was wondering if the PoE switch provides any advantage over using a standard switch with injectors.

No real advantage other than not having to have the extra injectors around.. So its a cleaner deployment - especially if you have multiple poe devices.  Other advantage - but not all poe switches would provide this, low end one maybe not is the ability to remove power from the device via the switch management gui/cli

This is allows for easy remote reboot of a poe device..

Depending on your poe switch you can also get information on power consumptions vs with just injector you have no idea what the device is actually drawing as far as power.  Which if your power conscience it might be good info to know that your camera is actually using x.y watts, etc. 

If I recall the low end switch you got, I doubt your getting any of those features?  So you just get to remove the added injector from the system.. Depending where the switch is, and the injector this might not make any difference.  Injectors are nice because you don't need a poe switch ;) And depending you might be able to provide power at some other location in the path from switch to device that allows you to pull power from a different circuit than where the switch is, etc..

I have 3 poe AP - and while it would be great had poe switches where they are connected - I don't have enough devices or desire or need to not just use the injectors - was more cost effective choice..  Now if my switch died and was looking for a new one - I would see how much poe would add to the cost, etc.. But sure wouldn't add a poe switch to the mix just to get rid of the injectors..

On 20/07/2021 at 19:01, BudMan said:

If I recall the low end switch you got, I doubt your getting any of those features?  So you just get to remove the added injector from the system.. Depending where the switch is, and the injector this might not make any difference.  Injectors are nice because you don't need a poe switch ;) And depending you might be able to provide power at some other location in the path from switch to device that allows you to pull power from a different circuit than where the switch is, etc..

I have 3 poe AP - and while it would be great had poe switches where they are connected - I don't have enough devices or desire or need to not just use the injectors - was more cost effective choice..  Now if my switch died and was looking for a new one - I would see how much poe would add to the cost, etc.. But sure wouldn't add a poe switch to the mix just to get rid of the injectors..

This is the switch I have https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076PRM2C5

I am confused about the power requirement for each PoE camera. I have one of these and two of these, can you shed some light on it for me? I am also planning on getting a managed PoE switch soon.

that switch should be fine, can do max of 58 watts total 802.3af - and those cameras show they draw less than 10 each so should be fine..

The one lists that it draws like <8 and the other 2 are listed to draw <10 each.. 802.3af can supply like max of 12 something watts at the device..  And the specs of the switch for each port are above what your camera's draw.

But unmanaged is prob not going to give you any specific on what a device is drawing - and most likely would not allow you to turn off power to a device without unplugging the wire from the port on the switch, or turning the switch off, etc..

On 20/07/2021 at 19:59, BudMan said:

that switch should be fine, can do max of 58 watts total 802.3af - and those cameras show they draw less than 10 each so should be fine..

The one lists that it draws like <8 and the other 2 are listed to draw <10 each.. 802.3af can supply like max of 12 something watts at the device..  And the specs of the switch for each port are above what your camera's draw.

But unmanaged is prob not going to give you any specific on what a device is drawing - and most likely would not allow you to turn off power to a device without unplugging the wire from the port on the switch, or turning the switch off, etc..

Thanks, would the managed one I am looking at be good?

If your planning on doing vlans with it - I would stay away from that brand to be honest.  I don't think they get what vlans are suppose to do.  They had an issue that too way to long to fix where you couldn't remove vlan 1 from ports..  They did fix it in v3 of the hardware, and believe its ok currently.  But from responses on their forum, I just to don't think actually get the security aspect of vlans to be honest.

And their support model, when they came out with the fix for v3 of their hardware, they didn't make the fix available for v2 etc..  But with v2 you could install the v3 firmware - and now the device thought it was v3, etc..  It should be fine - but I honestly couldn't actually recommend that brand for a vlan capable switch.. And don''t have any experience with their poe stuff.

But I would think it should work.. They sell a ton of them, etc. And like I said I do believe they have fixed the vlan 1 issue on newer versions of the firmware.

Maybe the netgear GS108PEv3, I show it as same price.  I have had way better experience with their switches and vlans..