When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Here’s how it works.

Raspberry Pi's RP2040 goes on sale for just $1

The RP2040 on a grey and black background

The Raspberry Pi Foundation has announced the availability of the RP2040 as a standalone product at just $1 apiece. The chip was designed by Raspberry Pi and made its debut earlier this year with the launch of the Raspberry Pi Pico microcontroller which also had the low price of just $4.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation describes the RP2040 as the perfect mid-range microcontroller that stands out in three ways; having two fast CPU cores, plenty of RAM, and flexible I/O. The RP2040 comes with two ARM Cortex-M0+ cores clocked at 133 MHz which allows code to run in parallel with hardware supervision and there’s 264KB of RAM so you don’t need to spend time optimising your code.

A diagram of the RP2040

Discussing the flexible I/O, Chief Executive of Raspberry Pi Trading, Eben Upton, said:

“We provide all the usual interfaces: hardware UARTs, SPI and I2C controllers, USB 1.1, and a four-channel ADC. But it’s the programmable I/O (PIO) subsystem that makes RP2040 stand out, enabling software implementations of protocols including SDIO, DPI, I2S, and even DVI-D.”

To put the hardware on sale now, Raspberry Pi decided to take 40,000 RP2040 units out of the supply chain to sell as individual units. In the Autumn, many more RP2040’s will be available for purchase but it needs time to clear the Pico backlog and scale up RP2040 production.

If you’d like to get your hands on the RP2040, head over to the product page and hit ‘Buy now'. You will see a list of approved resellers that sell the product. Depending on the reseller, you may only be able to buy the RP2040 in bundles.

Report a problem with article
A Microsoft Outlook window showing the Organization Explorer feature on Windows
Next Article

Microsoft posts a redesigned Outlook client screenshot in the Office Insider release notes

Xbox Game Pass June first wave
Previous Article

Darkest Dungeon, For Honor, and more head to Xbox Game Pass in June