Good 5 so far lol

Severe 522 and counting

4 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

Yeah i'll give it a shot with Call to Seagate

DiskGenius so far up to 488 Severe Sectors and counting lol

Excellent 19924

Good 5 so far lol

Severe 522 and counting

Well there you have it. Bad sectors FTW!

Yeah no wonder why it was slow all this time for like half a year now,  At first i don't remember it being too slow back in January 2019,    Left a Message to Seagate Team on Twitter,   since did win this in Twitter Contest in January 2019, so will see what they say to do from there.      I knew something wasn't good when Seagate Tools immediately failed with Formatting lol,    Windows Format wasn't moving period,  so i decided well guess check with Disk Genius what i got to lose,  

since it sounds like the drive is a goner you should take the opportunity to upgrade to an even faster solution. external SSDs have gotten extremely capable and affordable (though a little more expensive than internal still but not much). I'm using one on my mini server at home to store all my ripped movies/shows to use with PLEX and it's nice and speedy even in just a USB 3.0 port.

Here's what I have if you're interested at all

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Portable-SSD-MU-PA1T0B/dp/B073H552FJ/

or you could do an internal SSD in a good enclosure if you need to have it external :)

then get the data off that old drive ASAP before it fails entirely

• Thanks 1

Yes working on getting the data off now,   Will research external ssds and see if can afford one.       Chkdsk completed after 19 hours,  funny thing is that reported 0KB in bad sectors,    Though Seagate tools never finished its long Genric scan nor would it format said drive for some reason lol

I mainly used that drive for storing system image backups, and music folder backup, as figured if i stored that in seperate folder on the drive,  the system images would be a bit smaller and finish quicker---well didn't seem to really matter lol

Will check out External SSD, doubt i'll be able to afford a 8tb, but 2-4tb maybe would do system image backups fine i think for 3 systems

This Drive actually the largest i ever owned,  did get lucky winning it in Seagate Twitter CES Contest in early 2019,   moving the data off slowly currently,  thankfully wasn't too much on it lol,   as i'd be like where the heck do i store all this if was alot on there

Edited by bikeman25

Thank you all for the replies,  Christmas will purchase first External SSD, and use that for my systems backup needs,  in the meantime will try an older 2TB drive i have in an anti static bag, and at least have a bit of room to continue following backup strategy that i've been doing.      8TB passes Seagate Long Generic Test,  but takes hours to copy a simple My Documents 14GB folder, ((I know need to reduce that size as much as i can)),   Tried smaller music folder to 8TB last night,  125GB,  didn't finish til 10am this morning, started at 1:30am.   

I hate to say it, but seems like this 8TB Seagate is on it's last legs, and since passes Seagate Long Generic test,  there support says doesn't need RMA 

Might get external SSD 1Tb at Christmas, and for birthday maybe a newer WD My Passport, or Passport Ultra or something similar, never have issues with my Western Digital drives,  the one external is from 2003, and still works great

• 4 weeks later...

Think Issue Solved,  Think had Windows Defender configured too high with ConfigureDefender 3rd party little app,  yesterday as experiment decided to set it back to Default, restart both Gaming Desktop and Laptop, and then tried backup on Laptop, achieved  2.0gb/s image backup for first time on that system,  and Desktop later on for Game SSD Transfer rate of 1.7gb/s and 2.0gb/s a little bit when did image backup on Desktop