Official Windows 11 Insider builds

Now that we're getting Windows 11 and things are starting to change up more than the past few years with Windows 10, I un-pinned the old Windows 10 thread and started this one.

With the leaked build and the event coming on the 24th things are getting interesting once more.  

Some more info on Windows 11 from early benchmarks of the leaked build.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like screenshots from a newer build have hit twitter.

E49n-gLWEAUiITJ.jpg:large

E49r6wiX0AIeDTB.jpg:large

E49sHoUX0AMpw3A.jpg:large

E49siv7XoAAEGlL.jpg:large

Dark mode looking good.

It's looking really slick, I kinda liked it before but I really like this.

I just hope they manage to release with consistency for once otherwise legacy UI elements will be there for the duration of Windows 11.

Just now, cacoe said:

It's looking really slick, I kinda liked it before but I really like this.

I just hope they manage to release with consistency for once otherwise legacy UI elements will be there for the duration of Windows 11.

I don't expect them to get to everything by the rumored October release date, but if the goal is to do the whole UI, maybe more of those hidden 9x era bits can get removed next year.   Windows 11 is going back to a single release per year so they've got the time to do quite a bit, if they want that is.

Indeed, does look good. I am pretty impressed so far running the leaked build. I just hope and pray that they bring taskbar on multi monitors back! It is a nightmare snapping my head back and forth from screen 2 to 1, just to click on the app icon i am after 😁 also, makes me dizzy after a while!! 😆

I would say, keep an eye out for today 

These two people are not clickbait fake journalists, of which there are too many of these days...

• Like 2

It'll be interesting to see the first official version they send out.  I've heard a few times that not everything is going to be in there to start.   

First official dev build is out.   Things are going to get interesting now.

Got it running last night on this HP Envy Ultrabook .. it just so happen to have an 8th gen Intel. It's Sad,  I probably have 15+ computers computers and this one (which a customer recently gave me) and an Ultrabook in my theater are the only 2 that will support Windows 11.

The one in my theater is a water damaged Ultrabook another customer gave me. After scrubbing the motherboard with isotropic alcohol I got it working accept for the audio, which is great because the HDMI audio output still works which makes it the perfect theater PC to hook to a receiver / projector. 

image.thumb.png.7a0ae6fd6074128b263b05b4741e2bf6.png

Well, TPM stuff aside, they might add some 7th gen intel chips into the supported list.  But that still leaves me and anyone else with a 6th gen or older out.  At this point I don't care enough to be mad.  It's a shame I won't be able to upgrade to 11 on this gaming pc, or my other 3 systems actually.   I'll just ride out windows 10 till I've got a new system ready, probably sometime next year when we're all talking about Windows 11.1 or whatever new version naming they're going with.

My computer don't meet the requirements, but it put me on W11Pro anyway? Is this actually the real deal or will i have to get rid of it when it's a official build. This is not the leaked ISO, my computer restarted to this last night.

w11.PNG

46 minutes ago, drjekel_mrhyde said:

My computer don't meet the requirements, but it put me on W11Pro anyway? Is this actually the real deal or will i have to get rid of it when it's a official build. This is not the leaked ISO, my computer restarted to this last night.

w11.PNG

Insider builds are more relaxed on requirements.

I got put on Enterprise, LOL. I wasn't on Enterprise before.

I think they relaxed the rules yesterday, windows update kicked me off at 8% last week once the popup check happened. yesterday it installed on its own. its a weird situation because as the windows core RTM'd last month everything that changes now is just UI level stuff, it really shows that nothing on the os level actually required any of the harsher restrictions.

So if we get kicked off once the UI goes RTM then its 100% just some guys decision and not based on os limitations.

24 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

I think they relaxed the rules yesterday, windows update kicked me off at 8% last week once the popup check happened. yesterday it installed on its own. its a weird situation because as the windows core RTM'd last month everything that changes now is just UI level stuff, it really shows that nothing on the os level actually required any of the harsher restrictions.

So if we get kicked off once the UI goes RTM then its 100% just some guys decision and not based on os limitations.

What did the popup check say last week?

It just opened a mini health checker program that listed No TPM and Secure Boot for me and then it reports back to windows update to cancel the download

6 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

It just opened a mini health checker program that listed No TPM and Secure Boot for me and then it reports back to windows update to cancel the download

I wonder, was that the same checker app that they said they took down and will release a new version of down the road?

image.thumb.png.0b9f928be3ec85fa65c6dfaab1140ff2.png

It was this. this is all it does, pops up blank with a loading icon and then populates with what you failed with and when you click close it runs a clean up script or a successful script if you pass so windows update knows the outcome.d2yddompdpqxzurm_1624000513.jpeg.241ec923041ab11691d4b670997c2515.jpeg

Think the official stance is that  you can try it via insider preview even if you don't meet the requirements but the final is not going to install for you.

Posted (edited)

Well I took the plunge and switched my Surface Pro X to the insiders testing on the dev channel and upgraded the OS. I've been tempted to switch it since the x64 emulation came out last November, but with the supposed improvements to the UI for touch, as well as the potential ability to run android apps coming I figured why not. So far it seems to run just fine, which I would hope for a Microsoft device (you never know). I will say it sure is a nice change for WoA compared to the unfortunate fate of the Surface RT/2 that never officially got a Windows 10 upgrade (there is a leaked ARM32 insider build of Windows 10 that will install on them).

I actually don't have any 64-bit productivity apps I need to use on it, so I tried a few 64-bit games instead. I found one issue that the x64 emulation at the moment can't get around, and that is if the app itself checks the architecture when it loads. For example, games that use Epic Games Unreal engine start to run and then throw an "unsupported architecture" message like this one:

1386412903_2021-07-01(2).thumb.png.70bc880d532dadf75504a307c320a766.png

I don't don't know if there is anything Microsoft can do about that, so it might be up to the developer. Honestly I'm not sure why Epic decided to put this check in, as doing some searching it seems it's come out since the x64 emulation arrived. I've seen posts about this from people using Windows on ARM devices like the Pro X, as well as Mac users with a device using Apple's new M1 processor running Windows in a virtual machine via Parallels. Apparently Apex Legends used to run, and then broke. I may file a support ticket with Epic asking for a way to ignore or bypass this check. Hopefully there won't be many apps like this.

Edited by domboy

anyone else have square window borders after the upgrade? every system I did they are square.... the leaked build they where round

and now I also lost the new explorer toolbar, it strangely went back to the old ribbon

FYI you can access Task Manager by right clicking the start button or crtl+shift+esc as it is no longer in the corner right click menu.

• Like 2

hopefully thats something they either add back to the taskbar or we can add it via registry edit along with adding refresh back to the new desktop right click

3 hours ago, neufuse said:

anyone else have square window borders after the upgrade? every system I did they are square.... the leaked build they where round

and now I also lost the new explorer toolbar, it strangely went back to the old ribbon

The loss of round borders sounds like bad video drivers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By hellowalkman
      The all-new Photos app begins rolling out to Windows 11 Beta and Release Preview
      by Sayan Sen

Windows 11 Photos app in dark mode Like many of its features, Windows 11 is also getting an updated Photos application. The announcement was first made by the company's Panos Panay, who recently received a promotion. The feature began gradually rolling out to the Dev Channel insiders with Build 22458 and now, the Beta and the Release Preview channels are also starting to receive the all-new Photos app too.

This was shared by Microsoft MVP Richard Hay on Twitter:

Hence insiders who are currently flighting the Windows 11 Beta and Release Preview channels should be on the lookout for the Photos app on their systems.

Microsoft says it has made several changes to the application. The new Photos app has been redesigned such that it matches the rounded corner style in Windows 11. The Mica theme has also been added to it.

There's a new "filmstrip" view (image below on the left) that allows for easier navigation between the images in a folder or any such location. Selecting multiple photos from the filmstrip window activates the "multi-view" option (image below on the right) which allows the user to compare various photos on the same window.

The editing toolbar has also been updated which now allows access to several third-party editing tools as well. Microsoft also says that handling and making adjustments to images has also been made easier with the new Photos app. You can find more details about it here.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Closer Look: Microsoft Teams integration in Windows 11
      by Usama Jawad

Windows 11's general release is roughly 10 days away, and while it will not be available to everyone on October 5 due to a staggered rollout strategy, if you're eager to upgrade to the OS as soon as possible, you're also likely interested in what it has to offer. This is exactly what we have been covering in our ongoing Closer Look series over the past few weeks.

So far, we have taken a look at Search, Widgets, the Start menu, Snap Layouts and Snap Groups, the Taskbar, quick settings and notifications, Virtual Desktops, power and battery settings, default apps configurations, File Explorer, and context menus in Windows 11. Today, we'll be taking a look at the deeper integration of Microsoft Teams with Windows 11. While we did discuss it before, that was from a hands-on perspective two months ago, so it's worth discussing it in terms of features and an overall end-user experience.

Unlike previous Closer Look articles where we compared the upcoming OS' capabilities with its predecessor, we'll only be discussing Microsoft Teams' integration with Windows 11 this time. This is because Teams is offered as a standalone app in Windows 10 and isn't installed by default. Windows 11 does not install Skype automatically either. So the two implementations are fairly independent.

For the purpose of this hands-on, we'll be taking a look at Windows 11 build 22000.194 that was released to the Beta Channel a few days ago. As usual, it is important to note that the OS is still under active development so it's possible that some of the features we talk about may change by the time of Windows 11's general availability.

Microsoft has included Teams by default in Windows 11 and has promised deeper integration with the OS. When you boot up the OS for the first time, you'll notice a purple chat bubble icon on your taskbar, representing the capability. If you hover over the icon, you'll notice that it is actually referred to as "Chat", the same branding is present in the Windows Settings app too.

When you click on it to launch it, you will be asked to sign up. The only sign-up method that Microsoft allows right now is with a personal account. If you want to sign in with a work or school account, you have a button at your disposal that will direct you to download the "full" Teams app. As is evident from the "Meet and chat with friends and family" tagline when you launch the app for the first time, Microsoft seems to be positioning this as an online chat app for personal use rather than a hybrid one which combines personal use with work or education as well. I'm not sure if the company plans to expand this offering or maybe have different Teams versions for different SKUs of the OS, but this is at least how it is on Windows 11 Home's Beta channel right now. Provided that you do have an eligible personal account, the sign-in process is fairly straightforward. You'll get the option to sync your contacts from Outlook and Skype, and you'll be up and running in a matter of seconds.

Once you sign-in, you'll first be shown the "full" Teams experience, which is labeled as a "Preview" right now. If you've used the standalone Teams app before, you'll notice a very familiar UI. The chats and contacts are on the left side, with some options like Activity, Chat, and Calendar on the left. You can access settings from the ellipsis menu on the top-right, and it will show you some basic configurations related to auto-start, notifications, appearance, and privacy. Of course, the regular Teams capabilities such as chatting, groups, and Meet Now are also advertised on launch. You can also be notified about interactions via Windows notifications and reply to messages inline, and although Microsoft makes a big fuss about it in its blog post, I think it's a pretty basic feature and I would have been extremely surprised if it wasn't there.

Although Microsoft has talked about how it is shifting Teams' architecture away from Electron and AngularJS to Edge Webview2 and React, which will result in lower memory consumption, "work life scenarios, release predictability, and scale up for the client", I personally have not noticed any significant change in terms of how this translates to actual usage yet. This statement is based only on real-world use, which I think that matters more than benchmarks. I'm tempted to say that the launch experience seems slightly faster but once the app is loaded, performance seems very similar to the standalone app to me right now.

All the capabilities that we have talked about so far are available in the standalone Teams app too. So what deeper integration is Microsoft boasting about? Turns out that clicking on the Teams icon in the taskbar opens up a flyout UI through which you can quickly open pop-up chats, see your recent activity, start Meet Now calls, and search for contacts. If you want to do something else, you can also click on "Open Microsoft Teams" button at the bottom which will open the full Teams app.

While this is certainly an interesting direction in terms of making Teams a more integrated experience with Windows 11, I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of polish, at least in its current state. I'll go through my grievances one by one.

While you can open multiple independent pop-up chats, I was quite disappointed to know that there seems to be no support for Snap Layouts and Snap Groups when you hover over the "window" icon. The capability is probably my favorite in Windows 11 and I find it a bit odd that despite being touted as a native integration with the OS, Teams' pop-chats have to be snapped using the Windows + directional keys or by manually dragging the window. Not a good look from a multitasking perspective.

Secondly, the context menus in the flyout UI are surprisingly lackluster. When I right-click on any of my synced contacts, I get no context menu at all. When I right-click on a recent contact (screenshot above), I only get a couple of options, namely Audio call and Video call. If I want to mute, hide, or delete a chat, I have to open the full Microsoft Teams app.

It's just odd, really. It actually got me wondering that maybe I'm using an outdated version of the app but when I went to the "About Teams" section, I found out that I was using the most up-to-date version. This seems to be another example of Microsoft's "ship first, fix later" mantra. I fully understand that I'm using a preview version of the OS, but hey, Windows 11's general availability is less than 10 days away, and I find it unlikely that the company will fix this and other issues I have talked about so far before then. If it does, kudos to them and I'll update this piece with a note at the end.

Remember I talked about having the ability to delete items only via the full Microsoft Teams app? Turns out even that does not work as expected sometimes. I started a "Meet Now" interaction just for testing and then closed it. I keep trying to delete it and mark it as read but to no avail. It still shows up as an "unread" chat with the annoying notification bubble both in the taskbar and inside the Teams app. You can see a screenshot of this instance above.

I have to emphasize that this is not a widespread issue in the sense that it does not apply to all of my chats, but the fact that it is inexplicably tied to this one chat is a bug that's bugging the hell out of me (pun intended).

Finally, while it's possible to send a message directly to a phone number (or email account), SMS chat is only available in the U.S., UK, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, and India. All recipients in other countries get a notification on their phone number, and are asked to download the Teams app. I know I can't entirely blame Microsoft for this because it's likely related to telecom operators as well, but it's again disappointing to see that an OS that is supposed to rollout globally does not support a mode of communication across more countries. I know we live in an increasingly internet-connected world where SMS as a method of message delivery is dying, but if it's supported in a handful of countries, it should be supported in more too. Maybe Microsoft will add more countries with the passage of time, but that's how it is right now.

Overall, while I like the Teams flyout UI in Windows 11, the lack of capabilities in it makes me wonder if it's preferable to just download the Teams standalone app rather than relying on the current integration. I don't have anything against the capability but it's just not a big enough selling point for me personally, at least not in its current state.

It's clear that Microsoft wants to make this the FaceTime for Windows where people use it as a part of their daily personal life, but it's not a unique idea. The company tried and failed at that already with Skype and I don't see a massive value addition right now.

Personally speaking, I just don't see myself calling and chatting with friends and family from a PC when there are more convenient and feature-rich alternatives like WhatsApp, both on phone and PC. The only possible benefit I can actually see right now is the ability to screen-share while on calls, but that's again something that I do regularly in my work environment, not relatives and friends. Even more importantly, given the lack of cross-messaging support using at least SMS, you'd actually have to get all your contacts to sign up to a Microsoft account in Windows 11 for this to even be a viable mode of communication in your circle. Given how well-adjusted people are to (better) alternatives, I don't see this happening in the near future, at the very least.

Teams integration with Windows 11 right now is just not in a state for me where I can consider it a part of my daily life. It will undoubtedly improve with time but I'm yet to find out how it will replace my current modes of online communication. Given the lack of a proper use-case and unpolished experience, the only thing I will do right now is to go to Settings and hide the icon from my taskbar (you can't even unpin it directly from the crippled taskbar). While you can uninstall the app from the "Add or remove programs" settings in Windows, it doesn't hide the Chat icon on the taskbar, and if you launch it after removal, it will download the Teams app again and ask you to sign-in. Hiding it from the taskbar is much more convenient.

All in all, I understand that the Teams integration is currently in preview, it's just not a very good preview right now.

What do you think of Microsoft Teams' integration in Windows 11 right now? Have you had a pleasant experience so far? Do you see a use-case for it? Let us know in the comments section below!

Take a look at the section here or select from the links below to continue exploring Windows 11 in our ongoing "Closer Look" series:

Closer Look: Search in Windows 11 Closer Look: Widgets in Windows 11 Closer Look: Start menu in Windows 11 Closer Look: Snap Layouts and Snap Groups in Windows 11 Closer Look: Taskbar in Windows 11 Closer Look: Quick settings and notifications in Windows 11 Closer Look: Virtual Desktops in Windows 11 Closer Look: Power and battery settings in Windows 11 Closer Look: Default apps settings in Windows 11 Closer Look: File Explorer in Windows 11 Closer Look: Context menus in Windows 11
    • By anmol112
      Windows 11 is coming soon - here's what to expect, system requirements, and more
      by Anmol Mehrotra

In June, Microsoft finally unveiled the much-anticipated Windows 11 update. It comes with an updated UI, and performance and productivity improvements. Microsoft also released the minimum system requirements for Windows 11 which includes Secure Boot and TPM 2.0 among other things. Following the announcement, Microsoft confirmed that it will start rolling out Windows 11 to existing Windows users from October 5.

With Windows 11 around the corner, we will take a look at the new features, changes, as well as when can you get the new update. However, before that, we need to go through the system requirements as that caused quite a confusion when Microsoft introduced Windows 11 to the public.

Windows 11 System Requirements
      Microsoft has always maintained a list of requirements to install Windows. Usually these are set in a way so almost every computer can run Windows without any major issues. However, that is changing with the introduction of Windows 11.

Windows 11’s system requirements are complicated and will exclude a lot of old systems as Microsoft will not officially allow users to install and run Windows 11 on those systems. Of course, the company has left a loophole for tech enthusiasts to install Windows 11 on unsupported systems but that comes with a huge asterisk.

Talking about the requirements, users will need the following hardware to qualify for Windows 11:

1Ghz 64-bit dual-core processor 4GB RAM 64GB storage 9-inch display (1366x768 resolution) UEFI, Secure Boot & TPM 2.0 DirectX 12 compatible graphics / WDDM 2.x Microsoft has increased the storage requirement for Windows 11 to 64GB and the screen-size to 9-inches. However, the biggest change is the addition of Secure Boot and TPM 2.0. While most new systems ship with Secure Boot and TPM, there are still millions of computers that lack both the features. Not only that, but Microsoft has also released a list of CPUs that are required if you want to run Windows 11 on your system. So, in essence, even if you have Secure Boot and you buy a TPM module, if your processor is old and is not on Microsoft’s list, you are out of luck.

Apart from these, Microsoft also has a couple of additional requirements for laptops. The company notes that laptops need to come with a webcam, Bluetooth and Precision Touchpad in order to qualify for Windows 11. Furthermore, the Redmond giant also wants external PCIe capable ports (like Thunderbolt) to support Memory Access Protection or Kernel DMA Protection (kDMA) and have it enabled/opted-in by default. Thankfully, these apply to new laptops, so you don’t need to throw away your old laptop if it is missing any of the aforementioned features.

If you are concerned about the system requirements, then you can get Microsoft’s PC Health Check app that will let you know if meet the system requirements or not. In case your system does not meet the requirements, the tool will let you know which component is not compatible, giving you an easy option to upgrade and install Windows 11 at a later date.

New Features and Changes
      Now that we have gone through the system requirements, let’s talk about the new features and changes that are coming with the Windows 11 update.

New User Interface
      One of the major changes with the Windows 11 update is the new UI. Microsoft has completely revamped the interface and it looks more modern. With Windows 11, Microsoft is also embracing the rounded corners which is a treat for the eyes. Furthermore, the company has redesigned the context menus across the operating system. The new menus look refined and go well with overall Windows 11 visual design. You can take a deep dive into context menus with our closer look article on the topic.

Taskbar and Start Menu
      The biggest change one will notice when they log in for the first time is the taskbar. Microsoft has improved the taskbar design which looks much more in line with the overall UI. Furthermore, Microsoft has moved the taskbar icons to the middle, which is one of the many design choices that were picked from the now-defunct Windows 10X. While Microsoft will allow users to move the taskbar icons to the left, the company has axed some of the taskbar features including the ability to move the taskbar to the left, right or the top of your screen, as well as the ability to adjust the taskbar height. Microsoft has also killed the taskbar context menu. You can read more about the Windows 11 taskbar in our dedicated article on the topic.

Speaking of things that are killed off, Live Tiles are now gone. Microsoft has overhauled the Start Menu on Windows 11 and unfortunately, the Redmond giant’s plans for the future does not include Live Tiles. For better or worse, the start menu now consists of pinned apps as well as a recommendation section that suggests to you documents, and files based on your usage history. Microsoft has also added a search bar on the top of the Start Menu. Unfortunately, the search bar is still unreliable and shows search results from Bing sometimes. Lastly, Microsoft has also moved the all apps section to the top right of the Start Menu so you will no longer get the app list when you open the Start Menu. You can check out more about the Start Menu in our Closer Look section.

Multitasking features and improvements
      At the Windows 11 launch, Microsoft made a huge deal about the multitasking features and improvements. The company highlighted several productivity features that will enhance the experience. One of the biggest multitasking improvements is the new snap layouts. You might be familiar with these if you have used Microsoft’s PowerToys in the past. Essentially, with Windows 11, Microsoft will give users pre-made layouts for when you want to snap two or more windows on the screen. Microsoft will also group snapped apps on the taskbar, so you don’t have to manually minimize and maximize each app. Instead, you can just click on the group to minimize or maximize the whole group. Unfortunately, Microsoft currently offers just a handful of options, so it is not a perfect replacement for PowerToys users. You can control/disable snap assist by navigating to Settings > System > Multitasking.

Furthermore, Microsoft is also making improvements to the way Windows manages multi-monitor setups. With Windows 11, Microsoft will remember the layout on your external monitor and will arrange the windows when you plug your second monitor back. You can navigate to Settings > System > Display and check “Remember window locations based on monitor connection” and “Minimize windows when a monitor is disconnected” under the ‘Scale & layout’ to enable the feature. You can take a deep dive into multitasking features with our Closer Look article.

Microsoft Store and Android Apps
      Windows 11 is also bringing a revamped Microsoft Store that takes UI inspiration from the rest of the operating system. The new Store app also comes with UI changes for better user experience. For instance, search now sits at the top-middle of the app while Microsoft has moved categories to the left side of the app.

The individual app pages have received an overhaul as well. The new pages accommodate more information about the app on a single screen, reducing the need for scrolling down. The company has also moved the ratings, category, and screenshots to the top, so they are visible as soon as the page is loaded.

Apart from the aesthetics, the new Store app also brings new features as well. Microsoft will now allow developers to host all kinds of apps on the Store. This means users can now download PWAs, Win32, Electron, etc. apps directly from the Microsoft Store.

Saving best of the last, Windows 11 will also feature Android apps, courtesy of the Amazon app store. At the Windows 11 launch, Microsoft announced that it will be partnering with Amazon to bring Android apps to Windows 11. While, Microsoft has noted that Android apps will not be available at Windows 11 launch, the company says it is working on bringing support in the near future.

File Explorer
      File Explorer is also getting some of that Windows 11 goodness as the Redmond giant brings it in line with the new visual update. The new design ditches the top ribbon in favour of quick action buttons. This is another attempt from Microsoft to help those on touch-based devices as it is easy to interact with big buttons, compared to small items the company had before on the top ribbon. The company, however, has added a new drop-down option at the top to accommodate all the ribbon options.

File Explorer has also received a new right-click context menu which again matches the overall Windows 11 design. Here too, Microsoft has added quick action buttons to the top that give users easy access to cut, copy, and paste options. We have a dedicated article covering the finer details about the File Manager on Windows 11.

Widgets
      Windows 11 will see a return of the widgets, albeit different from the ones we were used to seeing in Windows 7. Microsoft has added a new Widgets button on the taskbar which opens a pop-up window to the side giving users easy access to weather, traffic, stock market updates, sports, news headlines and more. Microsoft will be collating data based on user preferences and it will be pulled from MSN. The feature is an extension to the News and Interest option that Microsoft added to Windows 10 earlier this year. We have covered Windows 11 Widgets extensively before and you can check out our article on the topic for more information on Widgets and how they will work.

Revamped Native apps
      Microsoft is also upgrading the native apps experience with Windows 11. The company has released updates for several native apps like the snipping tool, calculator, photos app and more. All the updates bring these apps in line with the Windows 11 with Microsoft’s design language, rounded corners, and support for dark mode. Microsoft is expected to upgrade all the remaining native apps in the future, providing a unified and clean experience to end users.

Windows Settings and Personalization
      With Windows 11, settings and personalization is getting a massive bump. Microsoft has redesigned the settings app that now features headings on the left corner with sub-headings in the middle that expand to show the various settings and options. The new app also includes breadcrumbs so you can quickly jump between pages.

The new UI includes updated options for different features and settings. Microsoft has also included a new battery page that gives more information and can be useful for laptop users. You can read more about power options and battery settings on Windows 11 in our Closer Look article. The company has also improved the way it shows related settings and has moved them at the bottom to accommodate more information. Windows 11 will also bring the following new shortcuts:

Windows + A- Open quick settings Windows + N- Open notifications Windows + Z- Open snap layouts Windows + H- Open voice typing Shift + F10- Open the old right-click menu Moving on to personalization, Microsoft has added a couple of new personalization options to Windows 11. These include improved dark mode, new system themes, themes for on-screen touch keyboard and more.

One of the major improvements is made to the new on-screen touch keyboard which now features a variety of themes, keyboard size and more. You can navigate to Settings > Personalization > Touch Keyboard to access the customization options.

Microsoft Teams 2.0
      Microsoft is trying to take on both FaceTime and Zoom with Microsoft Teams as the company has added a Teams button on the taskbar. Microsoft says it wants people to use Microsoft Teams to communicate with both their colleagues and their families.

While, the new Teams app is in early stages, it offers a variety of features such as inviting people to the chat, audio and video calls, groups and much more. Microsoft is expected to continue updating Teams long after Windows 11 has been released to the public so we may see new features and changes in the future. For now, you can check out our dedicated article covering Microsoft Teams in depth.

General changes and improvements
      Apart from improvements to the specific features, Microsoft has also introduced general system-wide improvements to enhance the user experience. Rounded corners is one way Microsoft has improved the Windows 11 look and feel. The company has also introduced new animations that make the system feel snappier and gives a smooth experience to the user.

Microsoft has made changes to the Action center which is now split into two parts - Quick settings and notification area. The notification area will show the latest notifications along with calendar while Quick settings will give users easy access to setting such as WiFi, Bluetooth, Brightness and more. You can check out our dedicated article for a deeper insight into the topic.

The Windows Startup sound is also making a comeback on Windows 11. The startup sound is something that many veteran Windows users can relate to, and Microsoft has finally decided to include a brand new sound that is softer and has a new soothing melody.

Lastly, Microsoft has also completely overhauled the setup UI. While the Windows installation UI remains the same as it has been since Windows 7, the company has completely changed the setup UI. The Windows 11 setup includes the same steps as Windows 10, but with nice round corners on an off-white background that will look familiar to anyone who has used macOS.

Furthermore, Microsoft has improved the lock screen that looks a lot better with the new font and slight UI improvements. The most noticeable improvement here is the center alignment of the date and time.

Features getting axed on Windows 11
      Unfortunately, Windows 11 is also taking away some of the features that are currently available in Windows 10. Below is the list of features that Microsoft is killing with the Windows 11 launch:

Who can upgrade to Windows 11?
      While Microsoft has made Windows available to almost everyone who owns a PC, this time the company is narrowing the path so a lot of users will miss out on the update, at least via the "supported" upgrade path. For starters, Windows 11 will be a 64-bit only operating system so if your hardware does not support 64-bit operating system then you are out of luck.

Secondly, the company has provided a comprehensive list of hardware requirements that one needs to meet in order to qualify for a Windows 11 update.

Will Windows 11 be a free upgrade?
      Now on to the biggest question, will Windows 11 be available for free. In short, the update will be free for the existing Windows users. So, Windows 10 users who meet the minimum system requirements can upgrade to Windows 11 for free once the update is available. You can refer to the system requirements section in the beginning of the article to ensure your system meets the minimum requirements to upgrade to Windows 11.

Those who are using old versions of Windows but meet the minimum requirements can upgrade to Windows 11 but may have to do a clean install as there no direct upgrade path available.

How to upgrade to Windows 11?
      Microsoft will be releasing Windows 11 on October 5, post which Windows 10 users will start seeing the update. As with all updates, Microsoft will be seeding the update to a small subset of users before the broader public roll out.

Microsoft has already seeded the RTM build to Windows Insiders in the Release Preview channel. So, if you are eager to upgrade to Windows 11, you can head to Settings > Update and Security > Windows Insider Program and enroll in the Release Preview Ring.

For the rest, Windows 11 will start seeding on October 5. You can head to Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update and click on Check for Updates to download and install the Windows 11 update.

Microsoft’s Windows 11 operating system is more than just a minor update as it introduces a brand-new modern UI that looks and feels much better when compared to Windows 10. Microsoft has taken a new route with Windows 11, giving users a fresh UI for both the operating system and the native Windows apps. Apart from the new UI, improvements made to Windows 11 will ensure that users get the best performance and experience.

With Windows 11 coming soon, do you plan to upgrade your system to the latest offering from Microsoft? Let us know your thoughts by voting in the poll below and sounding off in the comments section.

Poll
      Do you plan to upgrade to Windows 11?
      Yes No I want to but my PC does not qualify Mine qualifies but I'll stick with Windows 10 Submit VoteResults (146 Votes)
    • By Abhay V
      Microsoft Weekly: New Surface hardware, Windows 11 in Release Preview, and gaming
      by Abhay V

It’s been an eventful week in the world of Microsoft. There is a new Windows 11 build for the Dev channel with a bunch of bug fixes, Release Preview Insiders received their first taste of Windows 11 in the way of an optional update to the new OS, the Redmond company announced a bunch of new Surface hardware bringing much-needed upgrades to most of the product line, and much more. Check all this out and more in our weekly Microsoft digest for the week of September 19 – September 25.

Windows 11 in Release Preview, new Dev channel build, more

As is now the case every week, there was a new Dev channel build. Build 22463 brought a bunch of bug fixes, including a fix for the issue that caused the taskbar icons to align incorrectly. While the branch from which new Dev channel builds are being served is not tied to a specific Windows 11 version, the firm has said that many fixes being made will also be brought to the Windows 11 version releasing next month. It does note that newer features for the Dev channel are a while away.

As the OS begins to near its October 5 rollout date, Release Preview Insiders finally got their first taste of Windows 11, thanks to the rollout of build 22000.194. The rollout, just like how recent feature updates have been, is currently optional for eligible users. It will not be surprising to see mainstream users begin receiving the same build when the OS launches on October 5, with there being a few day-one updates bringing bug fixes. Considering that the rollout is staggered, not many eligible users will see the update on day one, which gives the firm time to polish the offering further before expanding the rollout. For those who want to perform a fresh install, the firm also released ISO images for this build.

However, for those trying to install the new OS on unsupported hardware, the company is supposedly planning to get those users to sign an acknowledgment, agreeing that they are installing the OS with the knowledge that they might not receive critical security updates or support. There has been an ongoing discussion about whether the firm will serve updates to users running its latest OS on unsupported hardware. Talking about hardware compatibility, the firm also released the updated PC Health Check app for Insiders, bringing much-needed improvements to the Windows 11 compatibility checking tool.

Continuing the topic of updates, Edge Dev users received their final Edge 95 build which brought the new Windows 11-style visual updates by default. As expected, some elements such as the Mica material are exclusive to those running the offering on Windows 11. Another significant addition was the ability to pick up PDF documents where users last left them.

The Microsoft Teams desktop client is also slated to receive a new capability that will allow adding anonymous users to Teams meetings. This brings another way for users to conduct meetings with vendors or users from different organizations. The rollout of the feature is slated for October, as spotted on the Microsoft 365 Roadmap.

Brand new Surface hardware
      Source: Microsoft Microsoft held its much-awaited hardware event this week, announcing a bunch of new hardware. The Surface Pro 8 brought the first major redesign for the 2-in-1 in over five years. The display is now a 13-inch unit that sports a 120Hz high refresh rate. The device sports two Thunderbolt 4 ports, making it the first Surface PC to support a Thunderbolt port. There is also a new Slim Pen 2 that brings haptic feedback and a new design. The stylus can is housed in the new carbon-fiber sporting Signature keyboard.

As for internals, the device sports Intel’s 11th-gen Tiger Lake chips and can be configured with 32GB of RAM and 1TB of removable SSD storage. The Surface Laptop Studio is available in "select markets" for an asking price starting at $1599.99.

The Android-powered Surface Duo 2 also brings welcome improvements. These include slightly larger 5.8-inch displays that now curve into the hinge area, making for a glanceable notifications panel when the device is closed. There is now a new triple-camera array at the back, bringing ultra-wide, wide, and telephoto lenses, improving greatly on its predecessor. The phone also features support for the Surface Slim pen that can be magnetically attached to the back.

Internals have also seen a significant upgrade, with the top-tier Snapdragon 888 SoC bringing 5G support. NFC is also being added. The Surface Duo 2 is priced at $1499.99 and is available for pre-order in select markets.

The star of the show, however, was the Surface Laptop Studio, a new device in the Surface lineup that replaces the Surface Book brand. Unlike the Book’s detachable top section, the Laptop Studio features a swiveling display that can be placed in Laptop or Studio modes, mimicking devices like the Acer ConceptD Ezel laptops.

The offering features Intel 11th-gen H35 chips and RTX graphics, making it the most powerful Surface device to date. Just like the Surface Pro 8, the Laptop Studio comes with a high refresh rate display and Thunderbolt 4 ports. The stepped design also allows for the Slim Pen 2 to be attached – and charged – magnetically under the keyboard deck. The laptop can be maxed out with 32GB of RAM and 2TB of SSD storage. The Surface Laptop Studio is available for “select markets" for an asking price starting at $1599.99.

There were a few minor upgrades to some devices as well. The Surface Go 3 was updated with new Intel chips, with the tablet now available with a 10th-gen Core i3 processor. The ARM-powered Surface Pro X, on the other hand, can now be had in Wifi-only flavor for a lower asking price. There were also new peripherals like the Ocean Plastic Mouse made from 20% recycled ocean plastic.

Halo Infinite preview, Sea of Thieves Season Four, and more
      Starting off this week’s gaming news is – unsurprisingly – Halo Infinite. As announced earlier this week, 343 Industries opened the next round of technical tests for its upcoming title. The first weekend of the double Technical Preview drop this week brings access to player versus player Arena from the get-go, including Bot Arena from the previous flights. However, Social Arena playlist opens matchmaking only at pre-set times to stress test the servers. You can find the schedule in the news article here.

The first preview closes on Tuesday, the 27th of September, and opens back up on Friday, October 1. The second drop will contain the overhauled 12 versus 12 Big Team Battle (BTB) mode. It must be noted that Bot Arena, Training Mode, Weapon Drills, and Battle Pass elements are accessible through both weekends.

Moving on, Rare announced this week the next major content update for Sea of Thieves, Season Four, which began rolling out on September 23. The update takes players under the waves this time around, bringing new undersea adventures such as new Siren Shrine and Siren Treasury destinations. The studio is also introducing a treasure storage method to transport entire loot stacks from the bottom of the sea to save players from taking multiple trips to transport their loot. The new season also brings 100-level battle pass levels to climb for free and a refreshed premium Plunder Pas.

Those waiting for Alan Wake Remastered were also treated to a comparison trailer showing off the visual upgrades made to the title against the original Xbox 360 version. Unsurprisingly, there is higher resolution rendering, accompanied by better textures, lighting, and more. The title launches on October 5, 2021, and features the base game and The Signal and The Writer story expansions.

Rounding off gaming news this week are the Deals with Gold discounts. Titles from the Assassin’s Creed, Halo, Forza, and Star Wars franchises are receiving major discounts. However, some discounts noted in the piece are exclusive to Xbox Live Gold members.

Lastly, Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One September update was announced this week. The release notes mention the recently announced support for Remote Play and cloud gaming on PC via the updated Xbox app. The update also brings an update to the new Chromium-based Edge browser to improve performance and more.

Dev channel
      Chrome 94 launches on Windows with controversial idle detection API Xbox 360 Gamerpics available for select Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S users VaxApp is a new Microsoft Teams app to help organizations manage vaccination attestation Microsoft and SSE form a partnership to make energy more sustainable Latest Chrome and Edge updates fix critical memory UAF security vulnerability Logging off
      We continue with the Closer Look series where we provide a detailed view of the various new components in Windows 11, a comparison of the equivalent feature in Windows 11 – where applicable, and a run-down of the good and the bad. This week, we looked at not one but two areas of the OS – the new File Explorer and the updated Context menus. Check out our complete comparison and let us know your thoughts.

Missed any of the previous columns? Check them all out at this link.

If you’d like to get a daily digest of news from Neowin, we have a Newsletter you can sign up to either via the ‘Get our newsletter’ widget in the sidebar, or through this link.

• By Abhay V
      Windows 11 build 22000.194 now available to Insiders in the Release Preview channel
      by Abhay V

Microsoft today announced that Windows 11 build 22000.194 is now heading to eligible Release Preview channel users, bringing the OS one step closer to its October 5 release. As expected, not all users running Release Preview builds will receive the update, as the OS is being served only to those running builds on supported hardware. Just like major feature updates, the release will be offered as an optional update, before becoming available to all eligible users.

Build 22000.194 is the same one that was released last week to Beta channel Insiders. These builds have mostly been receiving bug fixes, with there possibly being at least a couple more expected for Release Preview insiders as well. It is possible that this will be the build that will also ship with new Windows 11 devices starting October 5, with there being day-one cumulative updates.

The firm has been fixing more bugs in the Dev channel builds and has promised to bring those fixes as well to the OS post-release. It is odd, though, that the focus hasn’t been on getting out a chunk of the fixes to the Beta channel and Release Preview before release. The Windows 11 rollout will be a staggered and measured one, so those running Windows 10 might have to hop onto the Release Preview channel if they do not want to wait.

Additionally, Microsoft is also making build 22000.194 ISO images available for Insiders that want to perform a fresh install of the OS or re-load their VMs with the build heading to the Release Preview channel. You can download the latest ISOs from here.

Windows 11 brings a bunch of new features, a major visual refresh, and much more. The biggest – and probably the first visual change – is the centered Start menu and taskbar icons, along with rounded corners and a lot more. We have been looking at the various new components in detail in our Closer Look series, which you can find here.

Are you running Release Preview channel builds and are you going to install Windows 11 right away? Let us know in the comments below!