Official Windows 11 Insider builds

domboy
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, George P said:

I hope it's not RTM yet... I'm hoping they'll add app/icon folders/groups back to the start menu (for pinned apps) before it's finalized (I made sure I found and up-voted feedback requesting that). That's the main thing I miss from Windows 10. And we don't have the Andriod apps yet either, though I suppose that could already be in the build just not enabled.

Though, if one installed a leaked build from the insiders ring and it gets updates not sure how that's proof it's RTM...

xMorpheousx416

Just received an email from the Insiders.. stating that the Beta ring will be getting builds later this month.

In response to 22000 being the RTM.. not sure. Kinda leaves it up in the air.. I mean, are they releasing it soon.. or in the fall as previously known?

22000 may be the build prime number, but if the Dev ring is on .51... it may be well into those numbers as the final RTM. Ex: 22000.750. (give or take - just guessing)

George P

Build 22000.71 is out.

• Like 1

d5aqoëp

Guys if you are using 22000.71 or lower build, create a folder and rename it to

System.{BB06C0E4-D293-4f75-8A90-CB05B6477EEE}

Then open it to see the absurdity. I am sure most of you will be familiar with the Classic System Properties. Windows Branding and logo is wrong there.

FnXjRz9.png

DKAngel
On 18/07/2021 at 19:35, d5aqoëp said:

Guys if you are using 22000.71 or lower build, create a folder and rename it to

System.{BB06C0E4-D293-4f75-8A90-CB05B6477EEE}

Then open it to see the absurdity. I am sure most of you will be familiar with the Classic System Properties. Windows Branding and logo is wrong there.

FnXjRz9.png

welcome to beta stuff where ###### isnt finnished... Nothing new moving along

George P

Considering the control panel is on the way out, slow death for sure, and probably going to be even more hidden away in 11, I'd say they're not going to bother making any sort of changes to it you might find if you dig.

If there was some way to rip it out without breaking apps I'm sure they would've done it long ago.  It's that double edge sword called compatibility.  On one hand it makes Windows what it is, on the other it's also the bane of it's existence.

That's why the ideas about everything in containers that 10X was going for was super interesting IMO.  Maybe that'll find it's way into full Windows in time.

domboy

I haven't noticed any issues with Build 22000.71 myself. 

We’ve addressed an issue that was making your mouse move slowly when hovering over the Taskbar previews.

I was experiencing that issue on my Surface Pro X with the last build, and it caused some serious mouse pointer lag when the preview popped up. Whew, so glad that's fixed.

Steven P.

Looks like I have Teams chat, but it doesn't display anything, super handy...

SNAG-0000.png

Already tried killing the instance, didn't help.

+Randomevent
On 23/07/2021 at 02:55, Steven P. said:

Looks like I have Teams chat, but it doesn't display anything, super handy...

Already tried killing the instance, didn't help.

Tried updating graphics drivers?  You wouldn't think you'd even need to with a new OS but it was really slow with some of my non DirectX games until I did.

George P

• Like 3

Steven P.
On 23/07/2021 at 17:10, Randomevent said:

Tried updating graphics drivers?  You wouldn't think you'd even need to with a new OS but it was really slow with some of my non DirectX games until I did.

Well it is in a VM so IDK.

+Randomevent
On 27/07/2021 at 08:47, Steven P. said:

Well it is in a VM so IDK.

...and later I think it cleared up on its own.  I don't know, don't ask me.  :p

domboy
On 27/07/2021 at 07:03, George P said:

Has anyone gotten this new build?

adrynalyne
On 28/07/2021 at 12:49, domboy said:

Unlikely anyone will before tomorrow at the earliest.

Steven P.
On 28/07/2021 at 21:49, domboy said:

On 28/07/2021 at 21:51, adrynalyne said:

Yep, apparently there will also be a beta build (promised before the end of the month) so I expect we will see that tomorrow, Thursday 1PM ET

• Like 1

domboy
On 28/07/2021 at 15:55, Steven P. said:

Yep, apparently there will also be a beta build (promised before the end of the month) so I expect we will see that tomorrow, Thursday 1PM ET

On 28/07/2021 at 15:51, adrynalyne said:

Ah ok, I do see Thursday/Friday is when mine has install the previous two builds. I wasn't sure since that tweet had the date as the 27th. Thanks.

Tantawi
On 28/07/2021 at 22:09, domboy said:

Ah ok, I do see Thursday/Friday is when mine has install the previous two builds. I wasn't sure since that tweet had the date as the 27th. Thanks.

Microsoft tests the builds internally for a few days usually, if no computer is on fire, they release it, apparently :D 

• Haha 1

domboy
On 28/07/2021 at 16:13, Tantawi said:

Microsoft tests the builds internally for a few days usually, if no computer is on fire, they release it, apparently :D 

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation! This is my first time trying an Insiders build.

kiddingguy

What about memory management (and gaming on it)?

It is better, the same, improved or worsened in comparison to Windows 10 latest builds?

adrynalyne
On 29/07/2021 at 09:19, kiddingguy said:

What about memory management (and gaming on it)?

It is better, the same, improved or worsened in comparison to Windows 10 latest builds?

Too early to make that determination. Its very rough still, and gaming really shouldn't be evaluated and considered accurate due to a lot of debugging processes running.

George P

• Like 1

+Randomevent
On 29/07/2021 at 11:25, adrynalyne said:

Too early to make that determination. Its very rough still, and gaming really shouldn't be evaluated and considered accurate due to a lot of debugging processes running.

I don't really benchmark stuff usually so take this as you will (I do most of my gaming on Xbox atm) but it feels better for it in general.  Not significantly, but it's nice to have Auto HDR as well.

That said, the AMD driver installer insists their current win10 drivers are outdated but sticking with the OS' default gives me some wonky perf at times.  I'll stick with the win10 driver releases for now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sszecret
      Microsoft Weekly: Flight Sim on console, Windows updates, and Q4 earnings
      by Florin Bodnarescu

As yet another set of seven days has gone by, it’s time we take a look at the news that popped up during this time, including the landing of Flight Simulator on console, a series of updates for Windows, and the Q4 earnings report for Microsoft’s 2021 fiscal year. You’ll find info about those subjects and more below, in your Microsoft digest for the week of July 25 – 31.

Flight Sim on console

As promised, on July 27, Microsoft Flight Simulator landed on Game Pass and the Xbox Series X|S. This is the first time the title has made its way to console, with Xbox One users presumably being able to enjoy it via Xbox Cloud Gaming, where possible.

In case simulators are not quite your thing, there’s currently an Xbox Ultimate Game Sale, featuring deals for Assassin’s Creed games, Call of Duty titles, and others, and if you have an Xbox Live Gold subscription, Darksiders III and Lost Planet 3 are now free to claim.

In first-party news, Forza Motorsport 7 is set to be removed from storefronts in September (having initially been released in October of 2017). Those who currently own the game will be unaffected though, as they get to (obviously) keep their copies.

And ending with another first-party game, Halo Infinite’s first Insider test is now live, and runs until August 2, at 10AM PT. Do be warned that Microsoft has accidentally leaked Infinite campaign details, so you’ll need to be cautious if you don’t want to have plot points spoiled.

Windows updates

Much like taxes, Windows updates are a given, and this week, there were definitely some interesting such updates.

For one, Microsoft released the first Windows 11 build to the Beta channel, last week’s Dev channel build, 22000.100. As you’d imagine, it contains broadly the same number of fixes as the Dev build, only this one has a couple more known issues added. As is the case with Windows 11 going forward, Teams is quite tightly integrated with the OS, so here’s our hands-on with said Teams experience.

In additional news about changes, Microsoft is set to retire semi-annual Windows Server updates in favor of LTSC (Long-Term Servicing Channel) releases. The next LTSC variant, set to drop this year, will still be based on Windows 10.

And speaking of, KB5004296 was pushed out by the firm, bumping up the build numbers for Windows 10 versions 2004, 20H2, and 21H1 to 19041.1151, 19042.1151, and 19043.1151. The list of fixes is a little longer than usual, and contains everything from fixes for bugs with WFP (Windows Filtering Platform) to System Integrity memory leaks, and more.

Last but not least, to end the talk about versions and version numbers, Windows 10 21H1 is now on 26% of PCs, with Windows 11 (the Insider flavor) grabbing 0.9% of the market.

Q4 FY21 earnings

It’ll come as no shock to those who follow Microsoft that the Redmond giant has now posted its quarterly earnings for the fourth quarter of its fiscal year 2021, which ended June 30.

Microsoft brought in $46.2B in revenue (up 21% Year-over Year). Operating income landed at $19.1B (up 42%), with net income being $16.5B (up 47%). Diluted earnings per share was $2.17 (up 49%).

Of the three sections that Microsoft’s earnings are split into, Productivity and Business Processes brought in $14.7B (up 25%), Intelligent Cloud contributed the most with $17.4B (up 30%), and More Personal Computing accounted for $14.1B of the total sum, a 9% increase year-over-year.

In the first category, Office Commercial products and cloud services grew 20% in terms of revenue – off the back of a 35% increase in Office 365 Commercial revenue. Consumer Office earnings grew 18%, with Microsoft 365 consumer seats increasing to 51.9 million. Revenue from LinkedIn and Dynamics grew 46% and 33%, respectively.

In the Intelligent Cloud bracket, Azure revenue grew 51%, with revenue from cloud services and server products being up 34% (accounting for $3.9B). The Enterprise Mobility install base grew 19% (to over 190 million seats), and Premier Support – as well as Microsoft Consulting services - grew by a respectable 12%.

Under More Personal Computing, there was strong Search advertising revenue growth, with Windows Commercial products growing 20%, and OEM Pro (as well as non-Pro) revenues dipping 2% and 4% (respectively), which happened due to supply chain constraints. The other effect of said constraints was a 20% fall in revenue for the Surface unit.

Gaming revenue was up 11%, with a 172% increase in hardware revenue (year-over-year). Xbox content and services were down 4%, and Search advertising was up 53%.

Because this is also the end of the fiscal year, Microsoft shared the overall FY21 figures, with revenue landing at $168.1B (up 18%) and net income being $61.3B.

Dev channel
      The final Edge Dev 93 build (93.0.961.2) is now out with an improved Settings layout. Outlook on the web now has a ‘My Day’ pane for easy access to Calendar and To Do. New phishing protections are now live in Teams. Teams now has nearly 250 million monthly active users. Logging off
      We end the column by highlighting a software transition that took place earlier this week.

As was announced by Microsoft two years ago, Skype for Business Online was retired on July 31, 2021. The replacement is of course Teams, and the company is so confident in its latest chatting endeavor that it’s not extending the EOL date of Skype for Business Online.

For folks who have not moved to Teams completely (or at all), there will be Microsoft-assisted upgrades (starting in August). Until the upgrades are completed, users will be free to continue their chats and calls via Skype for Business Online.

Missed any of the previous columns? Check them all out at this link.

If you’d like to get a daily digest of news from Neowin, we now have a Newsletter you can sign up to either via the ‘Get our newsletter’ widget in the sidebar, or this link.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft releases the first Windows 11 build for the Beta channel
      by Abhay Venkatesh

It’s a new week, which means it’s time for a new Windows Insider build. However, this time, it's Beta channel users who are receiving a new update in the way of Windows 11 build 22000.100. This is the first Windows 11 build being released for the Beta channel, giving users of that channel the first official way to run the latest generation of Windows.

The build heading out today is the one that was released to the Dev channel last week, which means that along with the complete new OS, users will be receiving all the fixes that have been made through the course of the Dev channel releases. These include tweaks such as the improved UI elements in the taskbar and other areas to better align them with the Windows 11 design language, a search box in the Start Menu, and more. This is to be expected since Beta channel releases are considered more stable.

It must be noted that the new Teams chat experience will not be enabled for Beta channel users yet. However, that should be enabled for those users soon. You can take a look at all the new Windows 11 features in our run-down here.

In addition to all the bug fixes and improvements, the build contains a bunch of known issues, some of which have been added since build 22000.100 was released. We have listed only the new known issues that the firm is adding to the latest build based on feedback from those running these builds – which happen to be close to 1% of the total number of Windows machines:

With the OS now being promoted to the Beta channel, it is a hint that the company is hitting a certain threshold of stability since Beta channel builds usually are more reliable. The company also notes that Dev channel users who wish to stay on more stable builds should move to the Beta channel now. However, this does not mean that the builds are ready for daily use on main machines since anything can go wrong with test versions.

Additionally, Dev channel builds aren't exactly tied to specific versions, so those who jumped onto the Dev channel just to try out Windows 11 have this so-called magic window to jump to a more stable channel to continue testing builds a step away from the bleeding edge. As for Dev channel users, the firm confirmed via a tweet that there will not be a new build this week.

• By Abhay V
      AdDuplex: Windows 10 version 21H1 is now on over 26% of PCs, Windows 11 makes its debut
      by Abhay Venkatesh

After a gap of a couple of months, AdDuplex has released its Windows version usage report for the month of July. The report is collected from 5,000 Microsoft Store apps that are running the AdDuplex SDK v.2 or higher, and around 60,000 Windows PCs were sampled for this report. This month’s highlight is the debut of Windows 11, which was formally announced in June. As for Windows 10, version 21H1 that was released in May is now running on over 26% of Windows machines.

Just like the October 2020 Update, the Windows 10 May 2021 Update was an enablement package that light up new features in the OS. The underlying codebase for 21H1, however, is identical to versions 20H2 and 2004, meaning that the three most recent versions are serviced with the same cumulative updates. It is, therefore, not surprising to see that the rollout of the latest version has been faster than the previous versions has seen. This is only expected to increase as version 2004 begins to reach the end of support for consumer SKUs.

With Windows 10 21H1 now on more than 26% of PCs, the three latest versions of the OS account for close to 88% of usage share. The title for the most famous version of Windows 10 is retained by version 20H2 at 36.3%, followed by version 2004 at 24.6%. Windows Insiders running Windows 11 in the Dev channel account for close to 1% of total devices.

Windows 10 version 21H2 is also slated to be an enablement package. However, with Windows 11 expected to begin rolling out later this year, it will be interesting to see how the usage share changes, since there are still questions about the pace of the rollout and what the final hardware specifications will be.

• By Steven P.
      This Windows Hello webcam with privacy shutter is 20% off for only $67.99
      by Steven Parker

Today on Amazon, you can pick up the wo-we Windows Hello Face Recognition Webcam for only $67.99 when you apply the $20 coupon, saving you 17% off the $84.99 list price.

A nice thing about this webcam is not only is it a cheap way into Windows Hello password-less sign-in on Windows, but also has a manual privacy shutter, something you don't get on the more than doubly expensive Logi Brio webcam.

Here are a few of its highlights:

Below are a few of this camera's specifications, besides being compliant with Windows Hello.

This item qualifies for free delivery, and the prices mentioned here are before taxes. It also includes standard manufacturer's warranty for which Amazon says you need to contact the seller.

Get the wo-we Windows Hello Face Recognition Webcam for $67.99 (list price $84.99) 20% off

As an Amazon Associate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.

• By anmol112
      Hands-on with the new Microsoft Teams experience for Windows 11
      by Anmol Mehrotra

Earlier this week, Microsoft released another Windows 11 build to Windows Insiders in the Dev Preview ring. The new build brought improvements to the UI as well as the new Microsoft Teams integration. Microsoft announced the Teams integration at the Windows 11 launch event last month. With the feature now rolling out to Windows Insiders, we decided to take a closer look at the new Teams integration for Windows 11.

First time setup
      After you install the new Windows 11 build, you will see a Teams icon on the taskbar. Clicking on the option will open Team for the first-time setup. The setup is pretty simple.

Microsoft allows you to use your regular MSA account for personal use. You can also use your work or school account if you have one and want it easily accessible.

Once you select the account, Microsoft will ask you to verify ownership (if you have two-factor authentication) as well as add a phone number. This will add as a secondary username and also allow others to find you on Teams.

Lastly, Microsoft will confirm the settings and ask you if you want to use your existing Outlook or Skype contact list to find people on Microsoft Teams. One thing to note here is that if you have used Windows Phone in the past or you use Outlook to sync your contacts then you will see your address book on Teams (provided you selected the sync Outlook contact list on the last step).

Using the app
      The experience is same more or less. However, with a personal Teams account, users can now use it as way to stay connected to their loved ones. Moreover, you can now enter an email address to send a Teams message to them.

This works in two parts: if the person already uses Teams, they will get a general chat notification. However, if the person you are messaging does not use Teams, they will get an email inviting them to join Teams and continue the chat.

One thing that I personally believe can enhance the Teams experience is the support for SMS. While you can message people using phone numbers, they have to be in your contacts. Unfortunately, you can’t directly start a conversation with someone if they are not in your contacts. This is something that Microsoft can add in the future to allow users to start conversations by just entering the phone number of the person they want to talk to and if the person is not on Teams, they will get an invite to join the app.

However, there is one way to invite others to a text chain and that is via the 'invite using link' option. As the name suggests, the option generates a custom link that can be shared with others to allow them to join a conversation.

Lastly, Microsoft is also expected to merge the Meet Now feature into Teams in the feature. It will further enhance the user experience by allowing users to make audio and video calls using Microsoft Teams. Currently, the feature exists just as a placeholder button, but the company is expected to add it before Windows 11 is shipped as an update to existing Windows users.

Do you plan to use Microsoft Teams on Windows 11? Let us know your thoughts below.

For more information on Windows 11, you can check out our article on minimum system requirements as well as the list of CPUs that support Windows 11. Apart from the general requirements, Microsoft has also listed out specific feature requirements for Windows 11 including webcams, Bluetooth and Precision Touchpad on all upcoming laptops. Last month, Microsoft also updated the PC Health Check app to show why a device is not ineligible to receive the Windows 11 update. However, the company will allow some manufacturers to bypass the TPM 2.0 requirement and it is also allowing Windows Insiders with unsupported hardware to test Windows 11 Insider Builds. Several manufacturers have published a list of hardware that will be compatible with Windows 11.

If you are still out of the loop, then you can check out hands-on video. If you want to get in-depth information about Windows 11 then you can check out our article covering all the new features and changes.