Britney Spears speaks out against 'abusive' conservatorship in court [Update]

_119068459_068181064.jpg

Britney Spears speaks out against 'abusive' conservatorship in court

US pop star Britney Spears has launched a blistering attack on the "abusive" conservatorship that has controlled her life for 13 years.

She said she was traumatised and cried every day, telling a judge in Los Angeles: "I just want my life back".

Spears, 39, also said she had been denied the right to have more children and was put on the psychiatric drug lithium against her wishes.

Her father was granted control over her affairs by court order in 2008.

The order was granted after the star was put in hospital amid concerns over her mental health, and it has been extended for more than a decade since.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57586405

Apparently she is the only adult in the US without dementia or in otherwise vegetative state that has conservatorship over her well being. It's mad really. I am just glad we aren't reading how this has driven her to suicide, because there are plenty of celebraties who took their own life over less. 😥

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

She's not the most stable of people, that's obvious.  But the conservatorship should have been:

1) For a limited period

2) Awarded to someone who didn't make an utter penny from it

Poor girl has been thrown from pillar to post by her family, record company, the media.  

5 hours ago, Steven P. said:

_119068459_068181064.jpg

Britney Spears speaks out against 'abusive' conservatorship in court

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57586405

Spears, 39, also said she had been denied the right to have more children and was put on the psychiatric drug lithium against her wishes.

Lithium is used to treat conditions such as bipolar disorder, mania, and aggressive or self-harming behaviors. 3 million prescriptions in the US. In the past she's gone off her meds and ended up like this,

Apparently she is the only adult in the US without dementia or in otherwise vegetative state that has conservatorship over her well being.

It's mad really. I am just glad we aren't reading how this has driven her to suicide, because there are plenty of celebraties who took their own life over less. 

Not true. There are many reasons for placing someone under a conservatorship besides dementia or being in a vegetative state. This is a prime example.

Her refusal to stay on her meds and the fallout from same show why one is necessary; she cannot sustainably handle her own affairs when off them.

Edited by DocM

2 hours ago, DocM said:

Lithium is used to treat conditions such as bipolar disorder, mania, and aggressive or self-harming behaviors. 3 million prescriptions in the US. In the past she's gone off her meds and ended up like this,

Her refusal to stay on her meds and the fallout from same show why one is necessary; she cannot sustainably handle her own affairs when off them.

Except:

Spears, 39, also said she had been denied the right to have more children and was put on the psychiatric drug lithium against her wishes.

I guess you believe her father, the same person who used Britney Spears as a piggy bank from the time she was a child, and only decided to use conservatorship when she became an adult and after he no longer had a hold over her.

You could also argue that Britney Spears having a mental breakdown through what she was put through her whole life plus her sister becoming pregnant at age 16, that's when it all kicked off. And it was a lovely excuse for her father to take control of her entire life.

But, whatever dude.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DocM said:

Not true. There are many reasons for placing someone under a conservatorship besides dementia or being in a vegetative state. This is a prime example.

Because of course, being her personal physician you are intimately familiar with her medical history and are fully qualified both as an M.D. and a judge, to decide whether she needs medication and conservatorship. :rolleyes: 

Land of the free folks, unless you're mega rich woman who had a few emotional issues in the past and has a greedy a-hole for a father...

11 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Because of course, being her personal physician you are intimately familiar with her medical history and are fully qualified both as an M.D. and a judge, to decide whether she needs medication and conservatorship. :rolleyes: 

It's public knowledge from public court records she's been under long term psychiatric care and court supervision, prescribed meds for at least one of the serious conditions listed earlier, and she stated this week she doesn't want to take them. Mentally ill people often don't. 

How often have we seen tragedies caused by psychiatric patients going off their meds? You want that to happen to her? Put her kids through the injury or loss of their mother, or what she could do to someone else if she goes postal during a manic episode?

Get real...

Land of the free folks, unless you're mega rich woman who had a few emotional issues in the past and has a greedy a-hole for a father...

She's had more than just a few emotional issues, she has long term mental problems.  

5 minutes ago, DocM said:

I don't hate her, I'm in favor of her getting the care she obviously needs. 

So once again, you believe her father's claims and dismiss the words of 39 year old adult who has shown nothing but contempt for her situation?

14 hours ago, Steven P. said:

So once again, you believe her father's claims and dismiss the words of 39 year old adult who has shown nothing but contempt for her situation?

The court's involvement is not just based on "daddy says."  Take that from a dad who raised a stepson with serious, often violent, mental health problems.

The sad part is, sometimes there are no "good" long term options, just a series of attempts at short term mitigation.

In the US, and especially in California, there's an evidence-based formal court hearing to determine if a person's competency is such they need committal or supervision. Medical, police, school, rescue squad & psych records, etc.  Once a conservatorship is established it's under court supervision.

And again, a big red flag is someone diagnosed with a severe personality disorder who refuses to medicate.  This can be an issue of patient, family, and/or public safety.

Edited by DocM

The court took away her life and liberty.

It's outrageous that this was allowed to happen.

Yes, she has some mental issues, but so do millions of Americans.

It's not okay to just strip them of their freedom.

• Steven P. changed the title to Britney Spears speaks out against 'abusive' conservatorship in court [Update]

She can appoint her own lawyer

Britney Spears can hire own lawyer in conservatorship case, judge rules

A Los Angeles judge has said US pop star Britney Spears can choose her own lawyer in the fight to end her controversial conservatorship. The ruling came on Wednesday as Spears addressed court for the second time in less than a month.

Spears demanded once again that her father, Jamie Spears, be removed from the legal agreement that has controlled her affairs for years. In court last month, she made a dramatic plea to end the agreement. On Wednesday she repeated that appeal in an emotional statement in which she called for her father to be charged with "conservatorship abuse".

"I'm here to press charges. I'm angry and I will go there," Spears said, speaking to the court over a lawyer's phone. "You're allowing my dad to ruin my life. I have to get rid of my dad and charge him with conservatorship abuse," she said.

A conservatorship is granted by a court for individuals who are unable to make their own decisions, like those with dementia or other mental illnesses. Spears, 39, has been under the conservatorship since 2008, when concerns over her mental health prompted her father to petition the court for legal authority over his daughter's life. Conservatorship abuse can involve financially exploiting or imposing excessive personal restrictions on someone in your care.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57839526

She also posted the following Instagram

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

the close up picture of her isn't flattering. she looks middle aged. i heard her talking about the situation about a month ago and just couldn't stop thinking that she sounded like she's a valley girl who has been chain smoking for the last 15 years.

On 25/11/2021 at 09:04, seta-san said:

the close up picture of her isn't flattering. she looks middle aged. i heard her talking about the situation about a month ago and just couldn't stop thinking that she sounded like she's a valley girl who has been chain smoking for the last 15 years.

I guess it's all stress and only she knows how it all was during these years. I hope she will be better soon 

Her "conservatorship" ended a few weeks ago.

#FreeBritney is no longer an activist rallying cry: It's now a fact. The conservatorship that had controlled Britney Spears' finances, personal life and medical decisions since 2008, and which for many years was controlled by her father, Jamie Spears, was terminated Friday afternoon in a Los Angeles courtroom. Judge Brenda Penny said the conservatorship of Spears' person and her estate is "no longer required, effective immediately."

//

NPR

Those that feel she should still be under conservatorship basing their judgement of another for a 13-year-old incident, perhaps they should ask themselves this:  How would you like the judgment on entirety of who you are to be based solely on the worst day of your life?

How this unjust and extravagant legalized theft and restriction of a person's rights went on for so long eloquently shows how messed up our legal system is. 

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help." - President Reagan

On 30/11/2021 at 13:44, Jim K said:

Those that feel she should still be under conservatorship basing their judgement of another for a 13-year-old incident, perhaps they should ask themselves this:  How would you like the judgment on entirety of who you are to be based solely on the worst day of your life?

Yeah don't listen to @DocM heh, staunch "independent" who thinks anyone left of center is the "loony left" but does believe Britney Spears needs social care, decided by an overbearing parent for the rest of her life because she is "mentally challenged" (all of this decided through what he read in the media, which he also doesn't trust, unless the polls are from Fox or affiliates).

AFAIK she had just found out her 16yo sister was pregnant in the press, among other things like the paparazzi never leaving her alone or giving her any space, that's enough to drive anyone up the wall aside from hearing your baby sis is pregnant through the tabloid trash press.

I hope she can heal, we read so often about celebs ending their life instead of trying overcome personal issues.

• Like 2

On 24/06/2021 at 10:47, DocM said:

A video from 13 years ago...LOL.

• Like 2

On 30/11/2021 at 05:44, Jim K said:

Her "conservatorship" ended a few weeks ago.

How this unjust and extravagant legalized theft and restriction of a person's rights went on for so long eloquently shows how messed up our legal system is. 

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help." - President Reagan

Thank the heavens that has never happened to me. I would have been locked up and the key thrown away.

On 30/11/2021 at 08:49, Steven P. said:

Yeah don't listen to @DocM heh, staunch "independent" who thinks anyone left of center is the "loony left"

Only the 6% of the public (12% of Dems) who make up the extreme left (Pew Research), and unfortunately make 75% + of the noise (even more on NeoWin). QAnon's mirror image.

Pew political typology ..

2024290578_Pew2021politicaltypology480.jpg.bb73e1cc2f89902b55fbfd508aab99f0.jpg

but does believe Britney Spears needs social care, decided by an overbearing parent for the rest of her life

Two different things, and not mutually exclusive.  Even without dad she's a troubled soul.

because she is "mentally challenged"

People with bipolar and other such disorders don't just cure  overnight. It's a lifelong struggle. 

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/bipolar-disorder

(all of this decided through what he read in the media, which he also doesn't trust, unless the polls are from Fox or affiliates).

No, but dream on if it entertains you. It doesn't appear to take much 🙄

AFAIK she had just found out her 16yo sister was pregnant in the press, among other things like the paparazzi never leaving her alone or giving her any space, that's enough to drive anyone up the wall aside from hearing your baby sis is pregnant through the tabloid trash press.

She's still on meds long after that event and  post-conservatorship; 

EOnline

Almost three weeks after the pop star's conservatorship was terminated after 13 years, Britney is celebrating her newfound liberties on social media, which according to the singer, includes receiving the appropriate dosage of medication.

and she still has advisors watching over her affairs even with the conservatorship ended. That should tell you something 

I hope she can heal, we read so often about celebs ending their life instead of trying overcome personal issues.

We can agree on that.