Microsoft should stop with this charade and make Windows 11 a paid upgrade

On 07/07/2021 at 15:56, Mockingbird said:

...and why is this any relevant? The option is there. It doesn't matter if they upgrade or not.

Okay, so why is it there?

Isn't it there to help with security?

Let's face it, password requirements are getting ever stronger - no longer is it just a capital letter and a number, but many ask for a special character, captials, not capitals, some even say you can't have a repeating number - two 0's is a no no.

There is a big spotlight on companies being lax with password security and their marketing departments think it brings them bad reputation when passwords are breached.  They have a long way to go but also getting users to secure their accounts better plays a big part of that.

Everyone knows hardware internet blocking is better than software (I have momentarily forgotten what it's called).  A physical chip, that is at the latest standards to help block unwanteds should be welcomed.

Perhaps it's also a bridge to where Microsoft is taking Windows.  Who knows.

What concerns me more is the amount of people worrying about it, who it actually won't affect.  It shouldn't be your job to moan or complain when it actually doesn't affect you.

On 28/06/2021 at 23:54, adrynalyne said:

He thinks that this is all a conspiracy for MS to get more people to buy new PCs so that they get more money from Windows (OEMs roll it into the cost of machine). 

Silly IMO. 

This has been confirmed, multiple times? 

Its not a conspiracy, the OEMs asked Microsoft to assist with selling new PCs after the blockbuster year (2020) they had after everyone went out and bought a new machine to work from home. Now not saying they whipped this up in a year, but of course Microsoft were going to release another version of Windows (it wasn't MS directly that said 10 was the last version, they've also been working for awhile to pretty much be able to update any component of Windows without the need for a full install\feature build\whatever).

If you’re an OEM trying to sell more machines, what’s the selling point? If average Joe walks into a store and looks at the machines on display and notices that the screen is showing exactly the same thing they have  now (for discussion sake, and for the past 5 odd years of sales, Windows 10), what’s the selling point? Besides speed and maybe more storage, what’s new and why should I spent my money? This is the fresh coat of paint…. Windows is Windows, 30 odd years of legacy and spaghetti code.

Microsoft has provided information regarding the phased rollout, they don’t expect people to rush to update,  new machines get it first, then existing machines whenever. If you really want it (a seeker) you can… If your pc doesn’t support it, no sweat, you’ve got years of support with the existing OS. Or if you really want to live on the edge, go ahead and install  it, the fine print may make you think twice. But of course there’s going to be work arounds, chilllaxxxx.

Before you go into  defensive mode and what not, chill…(cbf getting into a flame war, not worth it dude lol) A suggestion is take a moment to listen or read articles written by journalists who write full time (make a living) about Microsoft, Mary Jo and Paul Thurott come to mind, they deal directly with people who are in the know… The news re: OEMs asking MS for assistance had been confirmed. Or if that’s not your cup of tea, get your own contacts who can confirm information…

Remember when I  chimed in and said Windows was basically “done” and you started flipping out and defining what that means, fancy that.. Microsoft pretty much said that too… (read between the lines re dev/beta channels…I’m sure you’re across it).

In 4 weeks time there’ll be machines on shelves with Windows 11 without Android support 😉. Oh it’s “doomed” (your description, not mine)… 😝

I get it people are frustrated, but reality is it’s a small percentage, and the ones complaining are meant to be the “smart” ones….posts on this site and other consumer focused sites beg to differ  🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by binaryzero

On 31/08/2021 at 21:28, binaryzero said:

This has been confirmed, multiple times? 

Its not a conspiracy, the OEMs asked Microsoft to assist with selling new PCs after the blockbuster year (2020) they had after everyone went out and bought a new machine to work from home. Now not saying they whipped this up in a year, but of course Microsoft were going to release another version of Windows (it wasn't MS directly that said 10 was the last version, they've also been working for awhile to pretty much be able to update any component of Windows without the need for a full install\feature build\whatever).

If you’re an OEM trying to sell more machines, what’s the selling point? If average Joe walks into a store and looks at the machines on display and notices that the screen is showing exactly the same thing they have  now (for discussion sake, and for the past 5 odd years of sales, Windows 10), what’s the selling point? Besides speed and maybe more storage, what’s new and why should I spent my money? This is the fresh coat of paint…. Windows is Windows, 30 odd years of legacy and spaghetti code.

Microsoft has provided information regarding the phased rollout, they don’t expect people to rush to update,  new machines get it first, then existing machines whenever. If you really want it (a seeker) you can… If your pc doesn’t support it, no sweat, you’ve got years of support with the existing OS. Or if you really want to live on the edge, go ahead and install  it, the fine print may make you think twice. But of course there’s going to be work arounds, chilllaxxxx.

Before you go into  defensive mode and what not, chill…(cbf getting into a flame war, not worth it dude lol) A suggestion is take a moment to listen or read articles written by journalists who write full time (make a living) about Microsoft, Mary Jo and Paul Thurott come to mind, they deal directly with people who are in the know… The news re: OEMs asking MS for assistance had been confirmed. Or if that’s not your cup of tea, get your own contacts who can confirm information…

Remember when I  chimed in and said Windows was basically “done” and you started flipping out and defining what that means, fancy that.. Microsoft pretty much said that too… (read between the lines re dev/beta channels…I’m sure you’re across it).

In 4 weeks time there’ll be machines on shelves with Windows 11 without Android support 😉. Oh it’s “doomed” (your description, not mine)… 😝

I get it people are frustrated, but reality is it’s a small percentage, and the ones complaining are meant to be the “smart” ones….posts on this site and other consumer focused sites beg to differ  🤷🏼‍♂️

Stopped reading, got bored.