144Hz display and mouse stuttering? Is there a connection between these two?

On a previous thread I have mentioned this as well... and now it's back again. But with a different mouse; the Razer Basilisk Ultimate.

Same gaming notebook; ASUS ROG GL731GV.

I have stutterings, and even 'stops' of my mouse. Both wired and wireless.

However, I read on a different site/thread (don't know where exactly - that stutterings can also happen on higher display refresh rates (and that Microsoft is working on this dynamic refresh rates in Windows 11).

So, I was wondering... if this is happening to me with two mice on the same notebook/screen, might the display be the 'issue' of this thing. And, if so... how can I make sure my mouse is working great (again), with no stuttering.

I mean... for a gamer a high refresh rate should be key, as well as a gaming mouse. So I guess/hope that  gaming mice makers are taking this into account. Right?

If these 1 and 1 makes 2, how can I make sure my mouse is working as it should with no stutterings, hickups or sudden stops?
(My trackpad is working as it should. Anytime.)

EDIT:

Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling was off. I ticked it 'on'. Hope this helps...

Edited by kiddingguy

After changing the "Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling" to 'on' the stuttering & unresponsiveness has become less (though not completely gone).

So, an improvement is made. But not totally solved.

Any other suggestions as to what I can do?

Any suggestions as to why this keeps happening?

I did perform a BIOS update to my ASUS ROG machine... no success.

This is the second mouse (I already had an ASUS Chakram gaming mouse) with stuttering... strange I think (ánd both wired & wireless there's this stutterings and hick-ups of the mouse pointer)

Is my mouse defect? Can I maybe swap it for a new Razer one?

Or do you guys know an alternative/'better' mouse with no stuttering on my ASUS ROG gaming notebook?

Others brands, including types/versions & models are welcome...

Can't help with the studering issue, but I can suggest a mouse that I am currently using. The Razer Orochi V2 it can connect via bluetooth or wireless adapter

is it happening with only certain apps or randomly? I had a similar issue with some apps that use 3D rendering and had to set on the nvidia control panel under monitor technology: "fixed refresh" for each. 

Try setting the monitor refresh rate to 120 Hz. I too had random stuttering, and doing this seems to have helped.

On 29/06/2021 at 10:30, kiddingguy said:

After changing the "Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling" to 'on' the stuttering & unresponsiveness has become less (though not completely gone).

So, an improvement is made. But not totally solved.

Any other suggestions as to what I can do?

Tried updating the BIOS, chipset drivers, USB driver, touchpad driver, using a different USB port?  This is not likely an issue with the mouse.

https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-strix/rog-strix-g-g731-series/helpdesk_download

The Razer guy you're talking to will probably be more help than we are.

5 hours ago, Randomevent said:

Tried updating the BIOS, chipset drivers, USB driver, touchpad driver, using a different USB port?  This is not likely an issue with the mouse.

https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-strix/rog-strix-g-g731-series/helpdesk_download

The Razer guy you're talking to will probably be more help than we are.

I just "reinstalled" al chipset-drivers once again.

Different USB port hasn't helped. And the BIOS has been updated last weekend.

The touchpad is working - even when the mouse is freezing.

1 hour ago, kiddingguy said:

I just "reinstalled" al chipset-drivers once again.

Different USB port hasn't helped. And the BIOS has been updated last weekend.

The touchpad is working - even when the mouse is freezing.

Drivers can interact with other drivers poorly, I wasn't suggesting it would change anything about the touchpad.  Admittedly unlikely to change much but it's hard to say.

I'd check if anything is overloading your CPU and if your mouse surface is poor (causing it to lose track.)  I've had that happen.  Otherwise, I'm not sure what you'd be looking at with a wired mouse issue.

Similar reports with other manufacturers i7-9750H laptops suggest it might be OEM software mucking things up, but I can't say if cleaning that off would help or not. 

1 hour ago, Randomevent said:

Drivers can interact with other drivers poorly, I wasn't suggesting it would change anything about the touchpad.  Admittedly unlikely to change much but it's hard to say.

I'd check if anything is overloading your CPU and if your mouse surface is poor (causing it to lose track.)  I've had that happen.  Otherwise, I'm not sure what you'd be looking at with a wired mouse issue.

Similar reports with other manufacturers i7-9750H laptops suggest it might be OEM software mucking things up, but I can't say if cleaning that off would help or not. 

Let's just hope the newly reinstalled drivers will fix it...

I have a Steelseries mousepad lying on a flat, table, surface.

On the i7-9750H thingy.... that will take a lot of analysis. Or can, maybe, Razer see in some logs if this is causing the issue of Asus OEM software installed on my notebook?

I had a similar issue that you are experiencing, but on my desktop i7 PC some time ago, that drove me absolutely nuts!! With a Logitech G903 mouse though.... and I found that a full format and re-install of windows helped for a while, then it started again. I found that there was some dust & dirt that was on the reflector lens under the mouse... cleaned that out... and worked for a while again... then it started again, and i lost it ............ the mouse ended up against the wall and a thousand pieces on the floor! :D

Replaced it with the G502 LightSpeed mouse, and not had that issue again since.

I know that my hardware doesn't line up with yours, just thought i would share .... i know how annoying and frustrating this issue can be!

28 minutes ago, Sulphy said:

I had a similar issue that you are experiencing, but on my desktop i7 PC some time ago, that drove me absolutely nuts!! With a Logitech G903 mouse though.... and I found that a full format and re-install of windows helped for a while, then it started again. I found that there was some dust & dirt that was on the reflector lens under the mouse... cleaned that out... and worked for a while again... then it started again, and i lost it ............ the mouse ended up against the wall and a thousand pieces on the floor! :D

Replaced it with the G502 LightSpeed mouse, and not had that issue again since.

I know that my hardware doesn't line up with yours, just thought i would share .... i know how annoying and frustrating this issue can be!

Aha. So just smash this Razer mouse and get me a new one... :ike: That's what you're saying, right?! :ninja::omg::ike: /jk

I compressed air the lens, btw...

EDIT:

But all the funny stuff aside... can it be that the mouse might be defective? Or 'just' the receiver'? And that a replacement might do the trick?

Or is Razer "just not my friend" and do I need to look for another, brand, mouse (Asus aside as well)...

29 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

Aha. So just smash this Razer mouse and get me a new one... :ike: That's what you're saying, right?! :ninja::omg::ike: /jk

I compressed air the lens, btw...

EDIT:

But all the funny stuff aside... can it be that the mouse might be defective? Or 'just' the receiver'? And that a replacement might do the trick?

Or is Razer "just not my friend" and do I need to look for another, brand, mouse (Asus aside as well)...

hahaha! YES... SMASH IT... you will feel better   😆 ... Just kidding...

But seriously, i would try a different wireless mouse (if you happen to have one laying around) .. or buy a really cheap one, just to test! It could very well be the receiver messing you about! ... I had an issue with my work laptop Lenovo X1 Carbon... where the usb reciever for my mouse was on the "other side" of the laptop .. ie: plugged into a port on the left hand side, and i was using the mouse on the right.... and it would stutter at times, moved it to the right hand side of the laptop, and works flawlessly.... Why??? heck if i know! :)