Is ssd superior or just faster?

I'm not wondering if ssd is faster than hd as it's already been proven on several sites, but ssd doesn't seem to be as good as the well-known stable hd.

HD gives you a better idea of your health, when you're going to die with software, more superior and better for torrenting and storing large amounts of videos and files.

3 minutes ago, kifirefox said:

I'm not wondering if ssd is faster than hd as it's already been proven on several sites, but ssd doesn't seem to be as good as the well-known stable hd.

HD gives you a better idea of your health, when you're going to die with software, more superior and better for torrenting and storing large amounts of videos and files.

I’ve had just as many SSDs die as hard drives. With just as much warning beforehand (none). 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kifirefox said:

honestly this hasn't actually been an issue for nearly a decade now. SSDs have matured quite well and can last just as long as a standard HDD in most cases while usually remaining more stable too since there's no moving parts in a SSD

1 minute ago, mkol said:

SSD is faster than normal HD but it will fail more than the normal HD. Have your backup ready.

not true anymore as long as you're not buying some no name SSD. The main contenders Crucial, WD, Samsung, and a few others have excellent lifespans on their SSDs anymore

• Thanks 2

Yeah, SSD's has gotten a lot better, and more capacity at cheaper price over the years. Just don't go with KingSpek, or any weird spellings.

Like Adryn said, I had enough SSDs die as hard drives. Neither of them, did I have a warning.

Edit: And also, the rule I've always went by. "Store your files in 3 locations." Off-site if possible, Internal HDD/SSD, external HDD/SSD, USB Flash Drive, Cloud, etc.

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

Like Adryn said, I had enough SSDs die as hard drives. Neither of them, did I have a warning.

and in the contrary I've never had any of my SSDs fail on me (not that I move data all that frequently on them). I've had the same SSD as my main boot drive on my tower at home since around 2013 and that's an OCZ Vertex 4 drive if you remember them :D

3 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

and in the contrary I've never had any of my SSDs fail on me (not that I move data all that frequently on them). I've had the same SSD as my main boot drive on my tower at home since around 2013 and that's an OCZ Vertex 4 drive if you remember them :D

My old OCZ 30GB (cant remember model) kicked the bucket 4-5 years ago. I opened it up, and it doesn't look like anything blew.

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

My old OCZ 30GB (cant remember model) kicked the bucket 4-5 years ago. I upened it up, and it doesn't look like anything blew.

yeah they had a few flaky models which is why they had such a mixed rep eventually causing them to be bought out. The Vertex 4 series was super solid though, was one of the last series they put out if I'm not mistaken; unfortunately that was too late to save them from the previous bad rep

11 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Oh god.

You are lucky then :D

50 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

My Vertex 4 256GB SSD is still going strong after 9 years.

Haven't had a SSD fail on me yet ... have had a couple of HDDs fail (2 WD greens)...

Edit:  With respect to the SSD vs. HDD argument.  I think you would be hard pressed to find any hard evidence that one fails more than the other.  Electronics fail ... SSDs fail and so do HDDs.  Have backups.  With that said ... all my HDDs have been relegated to storage/media ... games, programs and operating systems are all on SSDs.

SSDs wear faster than spindle. That's the only real disadvantage. There's some debate about NAS or storage disks, and any real speed improvements start to finish comparing SSD to Spindle in those scenarios, I'd still say SSD wins out, but for raw storage that's an extreme cost.

In regards to wear, you'd have to be doing some hefty data write/read rates to ever worry about an SSD failing during a computers normal life span (lets say 10 years). Outside a datacenter environment, I've yet to see a consumer SSD fail due to wear, and myself have got some SSDs close to 10 years old, still going strong. 

If you're going SSD, just go with Samsung. It's worth the extra cost. An EVO drive is fine over a Pro, you'll only notice that difference in benchmark stats.

I have an old 4gb 1997 hd and it's still working perfectly 100%, since ssd is no more than 10 years old.

Because it can burn the electronic board before reaching the writing limit. Ssd isn't made for a lot of writing and hibernating, which are tasks I really need to do so I don't have to shut down the pc and torrent. Ssd writing maximum of 700 or 800 TB.

There are more programs made to monitor hd health than to monitor ssd health, programs are better like crystaldiskinfo, harddisksentinel, hdtune, and so on.

17 minutes ago, kifirefox said:

I have an old 4gb 1997 hd and it's still working perfectly 100%, since ssd is no more than 10 years old.

Because it can burn the electronic board before reaching the writing limit. Ssd isn't made for a lot of writing and hibernating, which are tasks I really need to do so I don't have to shut down the pc and torrent. Ssd writing maximum of 700 or 800 TB.

There are more programs made to monitor hd health than to monitor ssd health, programs are better like crystaldiskinfo, harddisksentinel, hdtune, and so on.

Hibernation really isn't "hibernation" anymore, when you shutdown, you're writing some data to a "cache" so when you power back up and boot, your boot times are significantly reduced, aka fast boot. You're not dumping your ram and entire session onto a drive anymore. If you're doing old school hibernation (ala 2000s), you should probably stop, that's a complete waste of cycles. Sleep is more than enough if you need to power down for a bit. 

17 minutes ago, shockz said:

Hibernation really isn't "hibernation" anymore, when you shutdown, you're writing some data to a "cache" so when you power back up and boot, your boot times are significantly reduced, aka fast boot. You're not dumping your ram and entire session onto a drive anymore. If you're doing old school hibernation (ala 2000s), you should probably stop, that's a complete waste of cycles. Sleep is more than enough if you need to power down for a bit. 

You are mixing up hybrid hibernation and hibernation, both of which still exist.

11 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

You are mixing up hybrid hibernation and hibernation, both of which still exist.

I know they both still exist. Not sure which one he’s referring to. 

2 hours ago, kifirefox said:

Well in terms of loading things fast, as you already know, SSD's are obviously superior.

but yeah, in terms of storing large files... HDD's are preferred. and personally... I would tend to trust important data stored on a HDD over a SSD in general as it seems with memory chips, while they might work great for a long time (so it's possible SSD's could have noticeably better life span than HDD), I suspect when they fail it's much more sudden where as with a HDD you might be more likely to get some warning before outright failure and then you got price which clearly favors HDD's.

because while one can get a 1TB SSD for a reasonable price, for that same cost one can get at least a 4TB HDD. so I am more of the mindset that SSD the sweet spot is either 500GB or 1TB range and then just buy regular hard drives for storing most of ones data. basically anything that one does not need to load super fast, goes to HDD.

so I guess if 500GB to 1TB is more than enough storage for someone, then a SSD is probably the better overall choice. but anyone who has a lot of data to store, HDD's are the obvious default choice.

i work in a data center, and i've personally never seen an SSD fail. on the contrary, we've had several hard drives fail in a single day. It depends on the manuf and the batch from which theyre made. in this 11yr old laptop im using, the SSD still works just fine. it's an old Intel 160GB, and it's rock solid. ive never lost an SSD in any of my home devices, either.

30 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

i work in a data center, and i've personally never seen an SSD fail. on the contrary, we've had several hard drives fail in a single day. It depends on the manuf and the batch from which theyre made. in this 11yr old laptop im using, the SSD still works just fine. it's an old Intel 160GB, and it's rock solid. ive never lost an SSD in any of my home devices, either.

Intel SSD's are normally business grade, not your consumer grade Samsung drives.

8 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Intel SSD's are normally business grade, not your consumer grade Samsung drives.

Intel has plenty of consumer grade drives. 

9 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Huh? Intel makes "consumer grade" SSDs

11 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

They do? Guess I'm just basing off LTT.. :laugh:

Base it off NewEgg. 

I've only had 2 SSD's go tits up. One was an intel SSD  I got included in a laptop I got off eBay back in 2013 ... I think the seller didn't know it was in there. That one lasted quite a while. Then I also had a Kingston die. But I also own A TON of Kingston's That's the only one that has ever died.

I probably own 50+ SSD's .. I have spare SSD's laying all over the place.

My computers haven't had a spinning boot drive in them for 7 years. So if your computer has an HDD, replace boot drive with an SSD. You know what they say

"Friends don't let friend use HDD's as boot drives"

As far as storage, yes, I store everything on HDD's. .. in fact, next week I think i'm going to pull the trigger on a 6TB Red, and a 14 TB WD external.

36 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I've only had 2 SSD's go tits up. One was an intel SSD  I got included in a laptop I got off eBay back in 2013 ... I think the seller didn't know it was in there. That one lasted quite a while. Then I also had a Kingston die. But I also own A TON of Kingston's That's the only one that has ever died.

I probably own 50+ SSD's .. I have spare SSD's laying all over the place.

My computers haven't had a spinning boot drive in them for 7 years. So if your computer has an HDD, replace boot drive with an SSD. You know what they say

"Friends don't let friend use HDD's as boot drives"

As far as storage, yes, I store everything on HDD's. .. in fact, next week I think i'm going to pull the trigger on a 6TB Red, and a 14 TB WD external.

I had a Kingston 120GB die back when I was a junior developer. Lost a lot of unchecked in code. Learned a valuable lesson. 

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I had a Kingston 120GB die back when I was a junior developer. Lost a lot of unchecked in code. Learned a valuable lesson. 

Yep, gotta loose some data once, to become a good backeruper.