Ms Toolbars: How do I get this to function properly?

Question

How exaclty do you get the clickable, collapsable, floating and dragable little toolbars that Microsoft has on their main page of their site.

I am referring to the ones that say "Today's News" and "Downloads"

I can read the html file and know the "good stuff" is all linked to the file, but how do i implement that kinda of behaviour in another site?

Thanks in advance.

7 answers to this question

well..

you can also find movable menus when loging in to my.aol.com. register there and check.

about the stuff anyways...

this is dhtml and javascript, so if you type "dhtml move menu" or something like that in google, you should find several tutorials or examples.

that's it ;)

Check out www.dynamicdrive.com for lots of code samples of DHTML tricks and effects. There might be something there that is similar. I have found a lot of great code there.

Also, in Internet Explorer you could just right click and "View Source" for the code of the Microsoft home page and figure out which sections of code control those boxes. It's probably in a javascript external file, but with trial and error you can probably figure it out. I'm not sure of the rules and legality about copying code from the Microsoft site, but I did it to get those cool OfficeXP-like menus they have on the left side of their pages. It's an XML/Javascript code combination to create them, and it only took me a few days to extract all the necessary code and make my own improvements...

If you would like any help on extracting the code from the Microsoft site, just email me at intentionallyu@msn.com.

iUk

Hey guys,

I've always wanted that type of menu but didn't know where to look, iv'e tried looking in Dynamic Drive but I couldn't find it.

If someone could email me the code or site I would really apreciate it.

Thanks ;)

Email : iconman@jabinc.cjb.net

Please look at the image (I want a drop down menu like in the picture) :D

microsoftmenu.jpg

Originally posted by Geronimo  

Here are some from Dynamicdave.com

This one sits at the top of the page, even when you scroll

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/sm/index.htm

This is the one you are looking for though

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/...opmenuindex.htm

Thank is it possible to make it look like the black drop down menu on the Microsoft Website? If not thanks for your help. :D

Originally posted by Geronimo  

Sure just drop the script into a table and change the color inside the table to how you would like it to look.

Here  is one i have been messing around with right now.  Very basic w/ no content.

Thanks ;)