There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Kombucha?

I've been looking into this recently. It looks like a good alternative to soda. It still has sugar, but not all the sh!t that soda has.

I know, I should just buy one and try it myself, but..

If you don't know what it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

Good? Bad? Love? Hate? Use for gun practice?

Any good brands you would recommend? Synergy by GT looks like a good brand.

6 minutes ago, margrave said:

I've tried it twice. Didn't like the taste at all. And having 'bits' floating all in it is not for me.

Ya, tried it once myself all I can say is yuck! As margrave said also, bits floating in it, doesn't "float" my boat either.

Kombucha is an acquired taste and has some funk since its a fermented beverage.  I wouldn't quite say it's an alternate to soda.

Seltzers are probably a better soda alternate, assuming you like soda for the fizz.  You can even get caffeinated ones now.  There are some sweetened ones, but at that point you're not that much "healthier" than soda.

Or you can get MiO, which you squirt into regular water.  I think it's fake sugar though, so it's debatable whether it's healthy to ingest that.

Kombucha is good, helps digestion also. 

I used to make my own, it's not hard, but it takes time as it has to be brewed, but tastes really bland if you make your own so you have to experiment with flavoring , I usually used Ginger, but i think dehydrated ginger

would've been better than using minced ginger root. 

You need to make a scobie, for that you have to buy a bottle of unflavored Kombucha.

But I find Costco is least expensive place to buy Kombucha.

Kombucha use White granulated sugar, but all the sugar gets eaten up in the fermentation.

Yeah, I'm not that hot into seltzer. I think it's just the addiction to sugar, not the fizz. I tried a LOT of "flavored water". While I did like some, they're like made out of dirty socks.. (bad stuff to enhance the flavor)

Never heard of it but they sell it here too https://www.ah.nl/zoeken?query=kombucha

Google answers:

What is kombucha good for?

What is kombucha said to do? The drinks are promoted as improving digestion and diabetes, strengthening the immune system, reducing blood pressure and being detoxifying. Proponents also contend kombucha helps rheumatism, gout, hemorrhoids, nervousness and liver function and fights cancer.

Are the health benefits real or just snake oil salesman stuff?

6 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Never heard of it but they sell it here too https://www.ah.nl/zoeken?query=kombucha

Google answers:

Are the health benefits real or just snake oil salesman stuff?

I watched a few vids on YT about it's benefits, and it seems to have a lot. But you have to worry about the Sugar content. And also the other stuff they put into it.

For taste, it's not something I would choose to drink, but it was a huge positive for me in health.

After taking multiple long courses of antibiotics I ended up with severe bowel problems, doctors gave their standard label of "IBD" so they can push you out the door without help... after struggling for a couple of years I started drinking homebrewed kombucha and it has pretty much given me my life back. Before homebrew I had tried store bought kombucha previously but it didn't seem to do much, some of the studies seem to suggest the preservatives and additives in store bought kombucha negate any health benefits. 

• Like 2