Intel Core i3-1005G1 vs Ryzen 5 3500U notebook; which CPU is better?

Just a quick question... for a budget model like notebook, which CPU do you guys prefer?

It's just for basic Internet, a bit of Office etc. No major things, or CPU intensive workouts. It's OK if the load times are 2-5 seconds slower.

CPUs are pretty competitive towards each others (price/performance). The only major difference is 2 vs 4 cores, but is this noticeable for these kinds of simple tasks?

Rest of specs:

8 GB RAM

256/512 GB SSD

15.6" screen

Win 10 Home (don't know if it's upgradeable to Win 11, but that really isn't a big deal)

AMD, hands down. The i3 is a little too underperformed, imo.

Reason why AMD dropped their Ryzen 3 line.

AMD also my preferred choice in this segment. The Intel notebook is somewhat cheaper (and therefore more likeable by that other person I'm asking this question for)

So roughly speaking... more or less, to simply very much (yes, in each line line-up there's differences in cores/clockspeeds and other benefits)

Core i3 = Ryzen 3

Core i5 = Ryzen 5

Core i7 = Ryzen 7

Core i9 = Ryzen 9

Roughly, yes, but AMD pretty much pushes Intel out of the way, in most cases. Depends on versions, too..

On 20/07/2021 at 18:44, Mindovermaster said:

Roughly, yes, but AMD pretty much pushes Intel out of the way, in most cases. Depends on versions, too..

Yes, AMD is better bang for bucks :D

It depends on what you'll use the computer for.

the i3 has the better video decoder and hence better for playing most videos => also more power efficient,

while the Ryzen will be better for multi-tasking, ie, you will be able to browse the web slightly faster with more tabs open.

also the idle power draw may be slightly better on the i3 so you could end up getting better battery life.

lastly the Ryzen's IGP is faster for gaming, not a whole lot faster but it could prove the difference between being playable or non playable.

So think about these and have your pick.