Screen broken? Need help.

I just got an email saying more or less:

"Help, my laptop screen is not working, there are stripes and black columns. And now it's completely blacked-out".

Laptop is a bit old, I thought. And kinda cheap.

Can this be that the screen is broken (and need replacement), or driver related? Or hardware-/connection/connector related?

I haven't seen the laptop myself yet.

It's a Windows notebook, with I think maybe even Windows 7 (or an upgraded Win 10).

Well, if you shine a flashlight on it, can you see the BIOS/Desktop? If so the backlight is bad.

Otherwise, there's something wrong with the screen.

Do you know the make and model of the laptop? Dell, HP, etc?

I had to repair a few screens myself. eBay is your best place for buying new screens.

On 27/07/2021 at 14:44, kiddingguy said:

"Help, my laptop screen is not working, there are stripes and black columns. And now it's completely blacked-out".

Can this be that the screen is broken (and need replacement), or driver related? Or hardware-/connection/connector related?

With that amount of information, the best answer I can provide is, "yes." :laugh:

You're going to need to look at it in person. I've seen a graphics problem recently and a physically broken screen today, both of which matched the description they sent you.

• Thanks 1

Got more info… notebook is 9 years old and used very much. And was very budget at the time of purchase back than.

So yes, I (also) think this screen is EOL and defect. Or has had its operating/on-screen time.

Might just get a new computer, because the cost of replacing is almost the same a a new (budgetty) simple notebook.

On 28/07/2021 at 05:04, kiddingguy said:

Got more info… notebook is 9 years old and used very much. And was very budget at the time of purchase back than.

So yes, I (also) think this screen is EOL and defect. Or has had its operating/on-screen time.

Might just get a new computer, because the cost of replacing is almost the same a a new (budgetty) simple notebook.

oh yeah, sounds like they've gotten their worth out of that machine and are just due for an upgrade anyway.

you don't see budget machines from back then last this long very often so they should count themselves lucky :)

On 28/07/2021 at 08:39, Brandon H said:

oh yeah, sounds like they've gotten their worth out of that machine and are just due for an upgrade anyway.

you don't see budget machines from back then last this long very often so they should count themselves lucky :)

Except the IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads. Those things are solid.

On 28/07/2021 at 12:04, kiddingguy said:

Just so I understand...you've done this "troubleshooting" without seeing the computer, and you've made a decision on how to go forward? :/

Don't get me wrong, an old laptop is an old laptop. It just seems odd to cast it aside when you haven't figured out where the problem lies. Who knows what it means to the user?

On 28/07/2021 at 21:11, Nick H. said:

Just so I understand...you've done this "troubleshooting" without seeing the computer, and you've made a decision on how to go forward? :/

Don't get me wrong, an old laptop is an old laptop. It just seems odd to cast it aside when you haven't figured out where the problem lies. Who knows what it means to the user?

You're right about that.

But... knowing the user, and the fact that it's a pretty old, and very low-cost laptop, and the fact that it's 9 years old... and given the fact that a possible replacement panel costs around 50-100 euro (and the laptop itself was - back than - around 300-350 euro or so), draws me to the conclusion and pricewise it's not a wise decision for a screen replacement.

And also, if something is/might be broken on a 9 years old laptop, who gives me the assurance that something else won't break any time soon (and a RAM replacement is also another 50 bucks etc etc).

Sometimes... it's good to count your blessings and say goodbye to things..., that's okay...  :ike:

• Like 2

9 year old laptop - yeah any money that could go for repair would be far better spent on newer piece of hardware..

Do they think your time is free as well?  Send them a bill for the time you have had to even spend thinking about a 9 year old laptop ;) heheh

What do they do with it exactly?  You can pickup a renewed chromebook for under a 100 easy..