Manjaro: Installing Xow for Windows 10 Xbox Wireless Adapter

Hello,

I'm trying to install Xow which is a wrapper for the Windows 10 Xbox Wireless adapter

I'm running issues into the gcc compiler, I've re-entered the previous git command I've downloaded just for reference.

after getting the package from git

$ git clone https://github.com/medusalix/xow

fatal: destination path 'xow' already exists and is not an empty directory.

I'm getting stuck at this part

$ make BUILD=RELEASE

g++ -o xow xow.o controller/controller.o controller/gip.o controller/input.o dongle/dongle.o dongle/mt76.o dongle/usb.o utils/log.o utils/reader.o xow/xow.o firmware.o -lpthread -lusb-1.0

/usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file xow: Is a directory

collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

make: *** [Makefile:29: xow] Error 1

Thanks

Where are you running the make command from? Sounds like you are running the make command from OUTSIDE of the xow directory. You need to be INSIDE the directory to run the make command.

So cd <path>/<to>/<xow> and then "make BUILD=RELEASE" and it should work

On 12/08/2021 at 20:19, Sikh said:

Where are you running the make command from? Sounds like you are running the make command from OUTSIDE of the xow directory. You need to be INSIDE the directory to run the make command.

So cd <path>/<to>/<xow> and then "make BUILD=RELEASE" and it should work

FYI, I was in the xow folder, I've checked with pwd. when I run make BUILD=RELEASE it clearly sees the files when it errors out by displaying '

xow.o controller/controller.o controller/gip.o controller/input.o dongle/dongle.o dongle/mt76.o dongle/usb.o utils/log.o utils/reader.o xow/xow.o firmware.o -lpthread -lusb-1.0

/usr/bin/ld:' which is in OP post. These are the files in the xow directory.

I was referencing this line

which made me believe you werent.

Can you run BUILD=DEBUG and see if that tells you anything? Im curious to see where its choking.

Looking at the MAKEFILE, the only place I can see where you would get the above "/usr/bin/ld" error would be here 

install -D -m 755 xow $(DESTDIR)$(BINDIR)/xow

I also just realized reading the error again, its saying the output file is going to be "xow" but "xow" already exists as a dir so its running into a conflict issue 🤦‍♂️.

This sounds like a path issue more than anything now. "ld" is expecting xow the binary but somehow its pathing back to the github repo which is also named xow.

Try two things, one, rename the xow dir to xow_dir and try the BUILD=RELEASE command. This might do it. If it does or doesnt work, im curious what "BUILD=DEBUG" would tell you.

I would spin up a manjaro vm tonight but my brain is fried, as you can tell. If you are still running into issues, ill spin up a manjaro VM tomorrow and see if I can figure out whats going on.

On 12/08/2021 at 22:11, Sikh said:

I was referencing this line

which made me believe you werent.

Can you run BUILD=DEBUG and see if that tells you anything? Im curious to see where its choking.

Looking at the MAKEFILE, the only place I can see where you would get the above "/usr/bin/ld" error would be here 

install -D -m 755 xow $(DESTDIR)$(BINDIR)/xow

I also just realized reading the error again, its saying the output file is going to be "xow" but "xow" already exists as a dir so its running into a conflict issue 🤦‍♂️.

This sounds like a path issue more than anything now. "ld" is expecting xow the binary but somehow its pathing back to the github repo which is also named xow.

Try two things, one, rename the xow dir to xow_dir and try the BUILD=RELEASE command. This might do it. If it does or doesnt work, im curious what "BUILD=DEBUG" would tell you.

I would spin up a manjaro vm tonight but my brain is fried, as you can tell. If you are still running into issues, ill spin up a manjaro VM tomorrow and see if I can figure out whats going on.

You're very kind. I was able to resolve the issue by trashing the original xow folder and re-downloading the git. I was able to start the xow service afterward.

This thread can be marked as closed.