Search for JPGs with Date Taken between 1998 and 2002?

On 14/08/2021 at 10:14, Elliot B. said:

Is this possible in Windows?

Yes. I’ve searched date ranges quite a few times on Windows. I couldn’t tell you the syntax to include jpg though; I always Google it. 

datetaken has MM/dd/yyyy syntax in Windows Search Advanced Query Syntax (AQS) so if the JPGs are in one location then entering this in Explorer search box at that folder should list them:

ext:jpg datetaken:01/01/1998..12/31/2002

(Note there are two dots between the dates to indicate a range). It worked even across a network share for me.

If the JPGs are indexed, it works in Classic Shell/Open Shell Start as well since the Start menu returns indexed AQS queries.

Windows 10 Win+S/Start Search broke it.

Edited by MS Bob 10

I have a single photo in \\ELLIOT-SERVER\Images\Photos\1998 (which is called image.jpg)

image.jpg's 'Date taken' attribute (in Properties) is 27/12/1998 7:02 PM.

Google Photos seems to detect this just fine and place it in December 1998 on their end.

However, when I go to \\ELLIOT-SERVER\Images\Photos\1998 in Explorer and search for kind:image datetaken:01/01/1998..12/31/2002, I get no results.

Any ideas?

Oh then I've no idea why. Does it have lots and lots of images and on an HDD? Explorer search being non-indexed is sometimes really slow, especially if file contents and compressed files are also being searched. I've my search options set up like this on an SSD.1705099297_Searchresults.png.f85f6e091c011c1243dc90866a629d62.png

On 15/08/2021 at 18:28, MS Bob 10 said:

Oh then I've no idea why. Does it have lots and lots of images and on an HDD? Explorer search being non-indexed is sometimes really slow, especially if file contents and compressed files are also being searched. I've my search options set up like this on an SSD.<screenshot snipped>

I did the search in a folder with only one file in it, image.jpg.

I'm not sure why it's not being found. I just get 'No items match your search' instantly.

Folder Options > Search on my end looks identical to yours.

eb_dtimage1.png.55c778e5a86abb0e941abb1699697bfe.png

I tried moving the file to it's own folder on my Desktop, just in case it was an issue with searching on the network (though it's never usually an issue) but I get the same problem.

Edited by Elliot B.