Switched case and mobo, can't figure out why there is no display.

Hey all, 

I would love to get some help regarding the issue I am having. I recently switched to a smaller case requiring me to switch the mobo to micro-atx as well. I didn't want to spend too much money so I didn't upgrade anything.

My build is:

Ryzen 5 1600

MSI Mortar B350M

EVGA GTX1080 FTW

EVGA SuperNova 750W

16GB Corsair Vengeance

My problem is that the PC turns on and stays on, but I am not getting any display out of the GPU. The GPU has its LED on, and the fans start, but die right away.

There is no integrated graphics, so I can't debug with it.

I don't hear any POST beeps, but I am also not sure if it is equipped with a speaker for it.

The other thing is that there are these things called EZ Debug on the mobo, and the CPU LED turns on for a few seconds when turning the PC on, then goes away.

I've reseated the CPU, VGA, RAM, tried different connectors to the GPU from the PSU, cleared the CMOS, but I can't see any progress.

Please let me know if you need any more information, or if you can guide me on what I should try next.

Thank you.

GPU fans are supposed to turn off unless you are running a load on it.

Are you sure you have the 6-8 GFX power cord in? Also make sure the motherboard 24-pin and 8-pin CPU power.

On your board, there are LEDs theat signify where the issue arises. Normally goes from CPU to RAM, to GFX. If all those lights show up, there must be something odd with the GFX card.

Stupid question, but are you sure you plugged your monitor cable into the GFX card, not your onboard? (it happens..)

Hi, 

I have the 2 x 8 pin plugged into the GPU (also tried using different cables to my PSU in case that was the problem),

the 24pin is plugged in and the CPU 8 pin as well, all from the PSU.

I'm not sure where the LEDs are, I can't see anything that lights up. Maybe because my mobo has this EZDebug thing, that's where it's grouped.

I have 2 DP and 1 HDMI plugged into my GPU for sure.

Do you mean removing and putting it back in? I did try that, and made sure the CPU looked ok as well. Unless you mean some other type of resetting? I am leaning towards the fact that the mobo is too updated to support my 1st gen Ryzen. Im trying to find a way to flash an older version of the BIOS, but this one doesn't have a flash bios button I can use to flash a BIOS without a working CPU...

Yeah, removing and putting back in.

Might want to look around the board and make sure there aren't any bulging/bursting capacitors. Or other blown hardware.

I think there is an issue with that board. Do you still have your old board? Can you test that your CPU/GPU works on it? Don't need a case, just slap it on a piece of cardboard.

If you can confirm above, get the new board RMA'd.

I went back to my old mobo, but it seems to be the same problem! I can only guess that I broke something while moving it... It exhibits the same behavior, everything turns on, but no display.

Checks the pins on the CPU. It's pretty easy to accidentally bend them.  And make sure there isn't any thermal paste stuck under there.

Did any cables on the PSU come loose (on the PSU side)?  Maybe try different ports and/or cables to rule that out completely.

My other guess would be to mess with the RAM.  Try different slots and if it's multiple sticks, try one at a time.  Sounds like you've already done this though.

@helpifIcan For the build back to my original I am doing a minimal + M.2, but it is not displaying anything. All the fans (cpu, gpu) runs but the gpu turns off shortly after. The gpu light stays on though, and the pc stays on.

Fans on GPU cards are meant to power down the fan when not in heavy use. So "THAT" is not your issue.

@Astra.XtremeThe pins seem to be fine by my eyes, I checked it across both sides. I removed the thermal paste and reapplied it. The PSU is semi modular so the core cables are inside, but for GPU, I tried using a separate cable. I think I need to do some more testing with the RAM.

I've had the same problem and tried a different GPU, and it was OK. Turned out, the slot for the GPU had some dirt in it. My eyes could not see anything but a clean with alcohol sorted it.

@Mindovermaster Yeah, Im inclined to think that the GPU is fine, which is a huge relief. I think it might be the CPU or RAM, or maybe some connection or shorting issue somewhere... Does shorting allow the PC to conitnue running though?

@NinjaGinger This is happening on both mobos and for my previous one, I've tried it on on 2 different slots so I think that might be ok. :(

I tried using a single stick of RAM in the 2nd and 4th slot from the left, but same results.

On 20/08/2021 at 16:48, notqthrowaway said:

Yeah, Im inclined to think that the GPU is fine, which is a huge relief. I think it might be the CPU or RAM, or maybe some connection or shorting issue somewhere... Does shorting allow the PC to conitnue running though?

Depends on the kind of short. It can make a device unusable, or it can just mess it up. As in, usable, but not like it used to.

AS you have tried multiple Mobos, I reluctantly believe it may  be the GPU. I f you have a spare GPU, try it.

BTW I forgot, what brand of GPU are you using.

EVGA GTX1080 FTW. I really hope it's not the GPU... I don't have a spare one to test with though, and the CPU doesn't have an integrated graphics. 

EVGA do not like to be moved. ASUS is the worst, but EVGA runs a close second. If you have a fantastic friend with a spare GPU, borrow it and get that out of the way. I have 3 so it does happen.

I thought EVGA support was superb. I never had a problem with ASUS neither. Dunno where you are getting this information from.

But, I think his problem is his CPU right now. Have a MicroCenter near you? I think they would let you test it with another CPU/GPU.

I decided to order a new mobo and upgrade the RAM, so I hope it's one of those... You guys suggesting its either the GPU or CPU is not great news to me lol fingers crossed

UPDATE: The new mobo I ordered (let's call this 3) came in, and I tested it out, and it works! I get a display and it goes into the BIOS. 

So it's super weird that the 2nd mobo didn't work, and the 1st didn't work when I went back, but with everything the same, the 3rd one works. Could have been a seating problem, but that was a super weird ride. Thakns everyone for the ideas, I'm just really relieved it wasn't one of the expensive parts. Looks like I'm upgrading the RAM if the cancellation doesn't go through!

The 2nd one I got I am going to return because it came defective, but the 1st one also seems to not work anymore so prob just going to throw it away. Or should I sell it saying it doesn't work? Somebody might be able to fix it.