Forum maintenance and updates (ongoing)

Anonymous posting

I have enabled the ability for members to be able to post anonymously in most forums

SNAG-0006.png

As you can see above I started a thread anonymously, this will be good for a number of reasons, maybe you don't want your account linked with your political leanings, or maybe you want to leak something that shouldn't be traced to your member account, maybe you want to vent about your boss or company you work at without someone linking you to the member account (even though such places can't be accessed by guests). There are a number of reasons, however, do know that all Neowin forum staff will know which member anonymously posted, and it may not be used to victimize or abuse other members, if this happens warnings will be handed out in accordance with our forum rules.

Some forums do not have anonymous posting available, such as the entire Technical Help and assistance category, Introduce yourself > movie ratings, or anywhere where topic starters are specifically not supposed to be anonymous. 

I switched myself back to the light mode theme because I've been tweaking it a bit. For example, we now have a light and dark mode switch that guests can use, and I've brought back alternating row colors in topic lists, plus it is the default theme for guests, so it must look great!

Excellent changes, I noticed the dark theme as a Guest the other day while I was browsing the site at work, and it looks awesome, keep up the good work.

User menu was updated to the current forum version (adds your current rank at the top of the menu) and the selected theme is now bold

SNAG-0006.png

Ignore the several test themes we have 😛 I am testing first in Orion (old) before implementing it in the live version.

On 25/08/2021 at 09:03, Steven P. said:

I disabled anonymous posting for members and subscribers, because the only two times it was used, it was used incorrectly and as an annoyance.

Was my "Neat'o" 1 of the 2 times? 🤣

• Haha 2

• Steven P. changed the title to Forum maintenance and updates (ongoing)
On 25/08/2021 at 10:03, Steven P. said:

I disabled anonymous posting for members and subscribers, because the only two times it was used, it was used incorrectly and as an annoyance.

This is why we can't have nice things :(

Fixed mobile nav color. Before and after:

SNAG-0007.pngSNAG-0008.png

Also fixed the theme menu for guests that hid the mobile menu, I had it in the wrong spot. That's what you get when you stare at html templates for hours and then come back to them fresh 😛

SNAG-0010.png

Guest theme choice ^

SNAG-0008.pngSNAG-0011.png

Hamburger menu (also has a Themes entry).

SNAG-0012.png

Some people may have also noticed we updated the site favicon. The modern one didn't look great on dark color browser tabs, so we simply reverted to the previous one that we used to use (until around 2016 I think).

• Like 1

Social icons added, seems strange this was left out of the default forum setup 🤷‍♂️

Guests:

SNAG-0006.pngSNAG-0007.png

Members:

SNAG-0011.pngSNAG-0010.png

Unnecessary lineheight removed by altering the post highlight badge

Before:

SNAG-0013.png

Now:

SNAG-0019.png

SNAG-0017.png

It is also where things like "Solved" and "Popular post" badges appear.

I thought there was a plan to have the notification bell visible on the main page on mobile phone so the user didn't have to make several clicks to get to it, is that still happening?

Also getting to the place where you click Forums could be easier by moving it up the list so you don't have to scroll down when clicking on your profile picture from the main page.

Edit

Ignore, it's in the hamburger, but clicking the hamburger is I great place for the notification icon too.

On 29/08/2021 at 17:09, SnoopZ said:

Also getting to the place where you click Forums could be easier by moving it up the list so you don't have to scroll down when clicking on your profile picture from the main page.

Edit

Ignore, it's in the hamburger, but clicking the hamburger is I great place for the notification icon too.

The main news menus are outdated and currently being worked on, but that requires a developer because I can't access the HTML and CSS templates as easily as I can with the forums. Hopefully they will sync up with the forum menus very soon.