Laptop Issue

I bought my laptop in 2015 so it is getting up there in age i assume. One day a few weeks ago it shutdown 3 times on mw within a 10 minute period. it has been fine ever since. I decided to image the machine just in case something happens to it. After about 20 minutes during imaging it is turning off again. I tried 2 different  imaging software and it happens with both after 20 minutes.

Does it sound like this laptop is on its way out or could something else be causing this? Your opinions are most welcomed plz.

Thx

• Like 1

Flip it over and see if the vents are not gunked up with dust and lint. Compressed air might shift whatever is blocking heat dissipation, because turning off after about 20 minutes sounds more like overheat protection.

You might also consider a tool like HWMonitor (https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html) to check if your CPU and board temps are unusually high.

yeah, I was thinking on opening the laptop up and blowing some compressed air in it. If I just blow some compressed air through any large enough vented area i see would be enough instead of opening it?

Ps.... I put a desktop fan next to it to cool the laptop down and the image ran just fine and finished normally.

Edited by Bruinator

On 25/08/2021 at 16:12, Bruinator said:

yeah, I was thinking on opening the laptop up and blowing some compressed air in it. If I just blow some compressed air through any large enough vented area i see would be enough instead of opening it?

Ps.... I put a desktop fan next to it to cool the laptop down and the image ran just fine and finished normally.

Either way, just be sure to stick a screw driver or something to prevent the fan from spinning up (beyond its intended limit) while doing this.

On 25/08/2021 at 19:56, Circaflex said:

Either way, just be sure to stick a screw driver or something to prevent the fan from spinning up (beyond its intended limit) while doing this.

So i am suppose to spray it in while the laptop is on? I have never done this before? I'll use youtube as a how to do.

On 25/08/2021 at 19:13, Bruinator said:

So i am suppose to spray it in while the laptop is on? I have never done this before? I'll use youtube as a how to do.

He didn't say that. Just make sure that the fan is secured so it doesn't spin at 100rpm.. (not really, but..)

On 25/08/2021 at 19:12, Bruinator said:

Depends on how much dust and how caked it is. If the laptop has spent significant time near cooking/smoke, then external blowing is likely to help but also be less effective than disassembly and cleaning. If it's easy to open the laptop then you might as well do so, since any severe dust issue would probably be easily visible, and you could better direct the air onto the fans and vents.

On 25/08/2021 at 22:23, zhangm said:

Depends on how much dust and how caked it is. If the laptop has spent significant time near cooking/smoke, then external blowing is likely to help but also be less effective than disassembly and cleaning. If it's easy to open the laptop then you might as well do so, since any severe dust issue would probably be easily visible, and you could better direct the air onto the fans and vents.

Yeah, might want to reset the CPU grease, too... No doubt that stuff is dry af. 5 years? Yeah...

Hi,

When I first bought this laptop the fan was very loud. So i googled asus laptop fan very loud. It was recommended to change the default setting of maximum processor state to battery 48% and plugged in to 55% which quited the fan down greatly so I was happy with it.

I am wondering if I adjust those setting to something different when I am imaging the laptop to keep it cooler during this process. What would you guys recommend on changing those figures to plz?

I normally keep my laptop plugged in at all times as i dont move it around much, if at all.

TIA

On 26/08/2021 at 08:21, Bruinator said:

Hi,

When I first bought this laptop the fan was very loud. So i googled asus laptop fan very loud. It was recommended to change the default setting of maximum processor state to battery 48% and plugged in to 55% which quited the fan down greatly so I was happy with it.

I am wondering if I adjust those setting to something different when I am imaging the laptop to keep it cooler during this process. What would you guys recommend on changing those figures to plz?

I normally keep my laptop plugged in at all times as i dont move it around much, if at all.

TIA

If you keep bringing up your own philosophies, we can't help you.

We gave you several options, do something. Don't wonder about other things.

On 26/08/2021 at 10:01, Mindovermaster said:

I completely agree with everyone's diagnosis of the issue and the resolutions. I was just wondering if this could have been an added factor. :)

On 25/08/2021 at 17:13, Bruinator said:

No, dont do that. Have the computer off, pull the battery and spray the air into the vents. If possible, take off the bottom cover as well if its easy; otherwise just use a screwdriver, popsicle stick, anything small that can prevent the fan from overspinning while blowing air into the vent.

On 26/08/2021 at 10:01, Mindovermaster said:

Before I cleaned out the inside of my laptop I imaged it with a desk fan and it worked successfully. It took 1 hr 7 mins. I imaged it again after opening the laptop and dusting it out with compressed air it took 45 mins. What a difference. Thx for the info. Appreciate it. :)