Coping files to Synology DS220+ is slow.

Hello. I just got my Synology DS220+ this week and the whole configuration went smoothly. The only issue that I am currently facing is went I try to copy files throw the network the transfer rate 40 to 70 mbps, which is slow. I tried also using the network cable but it is the same (on cat6 it is 1000 mbps). I tested also the cable connected to the NAS and it is working fine.

My guess is the file system of BTRFS could be the reason behind this as I have searched online and many people complain about this (on Synology and other systems) but I didn't find a solution. Also, I am guessing the RAM 2GB is small and making this happen (Please explain if the RAM do relate to this or not).

Please advice me on how to fix this and thank you.

On 13/09/2021 at 02:40, deep1234 said:

Hello. I just got my Synology DS220+ this week and the whole configuration went smoothly. The only issue that I am currently facing is went I try to copy files throw the network the transfer rate 40 to 70 mbps, which is slow. I tried also using the network cable but it is the same (on cat6 it is 1000 mbps). I tested also the cable connected to the NAS and it is working fine.

My guess is the file system of BTRFS could be the reason behind this as I have searched online and many people complain about this (on Synology and other systems) but I didn't find a solution. Also, I am guessing the RAM 2GB is small and making this happen (Please explain if the RAM do relate to this or not).

Please advice me on how to fix this and thank you.

Let's be sure we're using the same terminology here...

You're right about CAT 6 cables... they are rated for 1000mb/s.  That's megabits per second.

But computers measure transfer speeds in MB/s.  That's megabytes per second.  

With that in mind... CAT 6 cables are 1000 megabits per second... which is 125 megabytes per second.

So is that what you're referring to?  40-70 megabytes per second?  

If so... yeah that sounds a little slow.  But we'd also have to know what kind of drives you're transferring from.  Drive speed can make a difference.  If it's a slow hard drive... that could be the issue.  Reply back with the specs of the drives, computers, etc so we can get an idea of what you are working with.  

Here's a screenshot of a transfer from an SSD in my computer to my Synology NAS over ethernet... 112 MB/s is pretty much the maximum real-world speed when you factor in overhead.

773656324_2021-09-13(1).png.64855acf4720de667bc236c02a27198a.png

Yeah, what he said. Network transfer isn't as fast a SATA transfer.

What are you copying that is slow?

How is your client connected to the network?

Is it multiple files or 1 large file?

Do you have AV running on your machine?

Do you have an SSD in your machine?

Which HDD do you have in the Synology?

112MB/s is the max you'd expect to get for a single large file.

This is assuming all cabled and no wifi or crap like powerline.

On 13/09/2021 at 08:15, bledd said:

This is assuming all cabled and no wifi or crap like powerline.

Well, Wi-Fi would cut his transfer time to ~5mbps...

(BTW, this thread title.. "Coping" I know what he meant, but sounds weird.. LOL)

Edited by Mindovermaster