Cowboy Bebop Live Action Opening Credits

Can’t wait to see it and hopefully they don’t screw it up.  These anime to live action never bode well.

Where’s Ed?

On 25/09/2021 at 20:59, primortal said:

Can’t wait to see it and hopefully they don’t screw it up.  These anime to live action never bode well.

Where’s Ed?

Even if they don't do it perfect it's better than nothing.  It's been how many centuries now?  :p

On 26/09/2021 at 04:59, primortal said:

Where’s Ed?

I don't think they're going to go that far into the story to bring Ed in.  Maybe in a season 2?  I don't know how close they're going to stick to the original animes storyline at this point.   Actually, I'd be down for them doing mostly new stuff and having this be a retelling + live action version.  I don't think we really need a 1:1 copy.

On 26/09/2021 at 06:17, George P said:

I don't think they're going to go that far into the story to bring Ed in.  Maybe in a season 2?  I don't know how close they're going to stick to the original animes storyline at this point.   Actually, I'd be down for them doing mostly new stuff and having this be a retelling + live action version.  I don't think we really need a 1:1 copy.

Ed is a part of the team and to leave her out for an entire season is going look bad.

I agreed we don’t need a direct copy but they need to stick to its canon the best that it can.  Just like the movie that took place in between the episodes.  The live action will be kind of both, https://gamerant.com/cowboy-bebop-netflix-series-remake-debunked/

On 26/09/2021 at 19:22, primortal said:

Ed is a part of the team and to leave her out for an entire season is going look bad.

I agreed we don’t need a direct copy but they need to stick to its canon the best that it can.  Just like the movie that took place in between the episodes.  The live action will be kind of both, https://gamerant.com/cowboy-bebop-netflix-series-remake-debunked/

Ed isn't part of the team from the start though.  She shows up later in the series, from episode 9-24.   So how long is this live action show going to be? 8 episodes?  She just might not show up if the story doesn't progress far enough.

On 26/09/2021 at 12:08, Jim K said:

Never heard of this.  After briefly reading the wiki ... is it kinda like a Killjoys mixed with Firefly sort of thing?

...the original show was in '98.  Killjoys definitely had some similarities...I don't know about Firefly.  Maybe Dark Matter, a bit.

On 26/09/2021 at 19:33, Randomevent said:

...the original show was in '98.  Killjoys definitely had some similarities...I don't know about Firefly.  Maybe Dark Matter, a bit.

Dark Matter was awesome. Shame that they cancelled that show. 

On 26/09/2021 at 12:49, FunkyMike said:

Dark Matter was awesome. Shame that they cancelled that show. 

I guess it felt weird to me at a point I'm not feeling like spoiling for anyone who hasn't watched it.  Not the biggest loss I've ever seen from a TV series but it was still a solid show.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Watched the first two episodes yesterday...not bad...not bad at all.  

Funny thing is...I loaded up Netflix last night thinking this was a movie, not a 10-part TV series. 

On 20/11/2021 at 12:21, theefool said:

/sigh guess I'll have to watch the originals, and stick with it.  Was not a fan.  Didn't get past the first episode. 

I want to like it, but, I'll see.

I know what you're saying, but with any new show I've always felt you should never judge just by the pilot episode...  Take the recent Foundation series on Apple+ for example.  Despite all the changes to the original story it was reasonably OK... right up until the last 2 episodes where they just shat all over Isaac Asimov's legacy with about 1000 tonnes of elephant poop...

On 21/11/2021 at 16:46, FloatingFatMan said:

I know what you're saying, but with any new show I've always felt you should never judge just by the pilot episode...  Take the recent Foundation series on Apple+ for example.  Despite all the changes to the original story it was reasonably OK... right up until the last 2 episodes where they just shat all over Isaac Asimov's legacy with about 1000 tonnes of elephant poop...

I did finish foundation, but it has been like 20+ years since I read the books.  Perhaps I'll read them again to refresh myself.  But, have to finish "StarSight" by Brandon Sanderson first. 

On 23/11/2021 at 20:57, theefool said:

Watched and finished the original anime.  Not bad.  Now to watch the live active version.

If you can get past episode 1 being goofier than the rest of it (even if it does have its moments) it's pretty solid.

I just finished it.

Just finished it last night.  I enjoyed the show, overall ... really liked the visuals and the 80s style aesthetics.  Will say that the mid episodes were probably the best ... the last three were a little .. meh.  Not a fan of how the season ended...but looking forward to Season 2.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/12/2021 at 05:43, Jim K said:

Not a fan of how the season ended...but looking forward to Season 2.

Welp, that was quick....

‘Cowboy Bebop’ Canceled By Netflix After One Season

The move comes less than three weeks after the show’s Nov. 19 debut on the streaming service.

The space Western had a rough reception. The 10-episode series garnered only a 46 percent positive critics rating on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes. Fans seemed to agree, giving the show a 56 percent positive audience score on the site. According to Netflix’s Top 10 site, the series has racked up almost 74 million viewing hours worldwide since its debut – so it got plenty of sampling out of the gate – but it plummeted 59 percent for the week of Nov. 29-Dec. 5.

/snip

Hollywood Reporter

On 09/12/2021 at 22:12, Jim K said:

Welp, that was quick....

Wow, that was quick even for Netflix.

The live action wasn’t too bad as a translation from its anime form.  I pretty much enjoyed it.  Sad to see it’s not getting a second season.

Spoiler

Definitely DID NOT like how Ed was portrayed. 

On 09/12/2021 at 21:12, Jim K said:

Welp, that was quick....

Not surprising. If the premise is just to widen an audience of a solid show, simply because some people won't watch anime, then I think they need to just stop right there. That will not appease the existing fanbase, nor will it grow a new fanbase.

These adaptations don't seem to be bringing anything new to the table, if but making the reputation for these shows worse and creating this jarring effect where people know what "Death Note" or "Cowboy Bebop" are based on what they saw on Netflix, and assume that's what you're talking about when you say you love Cowboy Bebop or the like.

Honestly, doing an adaptation seems to be nothing more than to make a quick buck off a fanbase you'll never be able to live up to, nor really have creative freedom if you pigeonhole yourself into recreating what is ultimately impossible. At least, I've yet to see any adaptation that has really worked for me.

As for the show itself, I couldn't even stay interested honestly. I think I stopped when I realized I was just watching it to get through it, and if I'm going to do that, I might as well spend my time doing something else. Literally anything else.

I got to EP4, kinda meh, but sad to hear they canceled already, but I'm willing to complete it. (took me multiple years to watch the anime, many retries, but eventually got into it).

Even though I prefer a full release of episodes, I wonder if a weekly episode would change things.

Like witcher comes out, 8-12 episodes, watch in a day.  Versus, 8 - 12 weeks of watching.  Each week analyzing the episodes on reddit/etc.