Active Directory question plz

Hopefully I can get an answer for my question plz? If active directory is installed and hosted on win 10 pro, is it possible to join a domain using AD?

On 16/10/2021 at 06:57, Bruinator said:

Hopefully I can get an answer for my question plz? If active directory is installed and hosted on win 10 pro, is it possible to join a domain using AD?

Trick question, which is why if you are asking, you need to do some homework.

Not because I am being a dick, but because you are going to be tripped up later by whatever is requiring you to know this answer. 

On 16/10/2021 at 14:33, Bruinator said:

So I guess my answer is yes, it is possible?

AD  is a server function. 

On 17/10/2021 at 14:36, adrynalyne said:

AD  is a server function. 

Thx as I will post in another forum to get the answer.

On 17/10/2021 at 12:29, Bruinator said:

Thx as I will post in another forum to get the answer.

I’m not sure what is asking the question, but I gave you an answer. If you don’t understand it, then someone explicitly saying yes or no will not solve the problems you are about to walk into. Is this for school? A job? People will see right through you and know you studied answers for a test instead of studying material for the test. 

strictly for me and for learning purposes which will hopefully lead to a new job. I havent been in school for yrs and never will be again unless a company pays for it.

It use to be easy to get help and answers on this forum which made it the best around.. Hopefully, it still can be. If AD is strictly a server tool then why can it be installed on win 10 pro? For similar purposes?

On 17/10/2021 at 13:13, Bruinator said:

strictly for me and for learning purposes which will hopefully lead to a new job. I havent been in school for yrs and never will be again unless a company pays for it.

it use to be easy to get help and answers on this forum. Hopefully, it still can be.

Start here. 

https://www.serveracademy.com/tutorials/active-directory-tutorial-for-beginners/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/cloud-sync/tutorial-basic-ad-azure#:~:text=Tutorial%3A Basic Active Directory environment 1 Prerequisites. A,Additional server and forest. ... 10 Conclusion.

Or just download MS server trials, I think they are 120 days until they expire..  Setting up a domain is quite easy, just choose the role and done.

Which reminds me, I need to migrate from 2012 r2 to 2019 or 2022...Got awhile to think about it.  Wonder if I should jump into server core or not.

On 17/10/2021 at 13:13, Bruinator said:

If AD is strictly a server tool then why can it be installed on win 10 pro? For similar purposes?

It cannot be installed on Windows 10 Pro. That would be AD LDS. Different use cases. 

On 17/10/2021 at 14:11, theefool said:

Or just download MS server trials, I think they are 120 days until they expire..  Setting up a domain is quite easy, just choose the role and done.

Which reminds me, I need to migrate from 2012 r2 to 2019 or 2022...Got awhile to think about it.  Wonder if I should jump into server core or not.

I installed 2022, it’s based on 19043. Though my usage of it is mostly for development so…

Yeah, on my home lab, I'm on 2022.  Though for work, I'm pushing for 2019 server core...

If it works on those roles, than I'm pushing it.

The only way Active Directory could be hosted on Windows 10 is if the Windows 10 is running a VM platform. The underlying OS that AD is configured on can only be Windows Server

On 17/10/2021 at 18:17, theefool said:

Yeah, on my home lab, I'm on 2022.  Though for work, I'm pushing for 2019 server core...

If it works on those roles, than I'm pushing it.

Just curious, did you install server 2022 on a virtual machine or using an actual machine plz?

So, i redesigned, and rebuilt our AD infrastructure about 2 years ago, on Server 2016. We have a total 16 DC's in our environment spanning a few countries.

Setup the PDC as full blown ServerOS with Desktop Experience turned on. The rest of the DC's as Core..... you cannot get to certain features of AD in Core... unless you want to spend a crazy amount of time in Powershell :)

Anyone who knows me... PS is a great tool, but i still despise it.... too easy to make serious errors. :) Especially when you "just need to do something real quick"

Looking to in-place upgrade it all next year sometime to Server 2022.

Edit: Sorry, to answer your question, AD should only run on a Server OS.

If you are running AD on Win10 (?) - are you asking if you can domain join the same Win10 instance that AD is installed on it?? ... short answer there would be no. You would need additional systems or vm's that are on the same subnet as the AD instance, and you domain join them.

Edited by Sulphy

On 18/10/2021 at 05:17, Bruinator said:

Just curious, did you install server 2022 on a virtual machine or using an actual machine plz?

Virtual machine.