Which is cheaper and easier? PC or notebook?


 Share

Recommended Posts

Which is cheaper, easier for personal maintenance, allows for better hardware upgrade, better for software and operating system upgrade, more Linux compatible drivers, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vague question really.  Typically desktops ... but then again you have OEMs that don't use standard components.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Totally depends on your needs.

 

Cheaper? That could go either way.

Maintenance? Really, it's about the same.

Hardware upgrade? With laptops, you can't often replace the GFX card. Also you can'tchange you CPU on a laptop. You can change out the RAM (not those cheap-o laptops), HDD/SSD. That's about all you'd need..

OS upgrade is dependant only upon the creator.

As for Linux support, I can't tell you that. You need to search on Google for that. Some distros may have better support than others.

 

Edit: If you want Linux support, go to System 76 They have desktops and laptops, as well as servers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/10/2021 at 15:03, Jim K said:

Vague question really.  Typically desktops ... but then again you have OEMs that don't use standard components.  

 

 

It seems to me that pc is easier to assemble and maintain personal and not need a paid professional. And it's easier to replace some piece of hardware. As for the notebook, the only thing that gains is more portability and being able to work anywhere. But when you need maintenance, it's more difficult and you should take it to a paid professional if you have a hardware problem.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/10/2021 at 13:49, kifirefox said:

 

It seems to me that pc is easier to assemble and maintain personal and not need a paid professional. And it's easier to replace some piece of hardware. As for the notebook, the only thing that gains is more portability and being able to work anywhere. But when you need maintenance, it's more difficult and you should take it to a paid professional if you have a hardware problem.

 

Actually, that isn't true. People take Desktops to those professional people, too..

 

And you can open up a laptop as easy as opening your desktop case. Seriously. There might be a few screws, but you can do it easily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

as far as maintenance and repair, desktops, simply because how easy they are to get inside and access the components.. Laptop have gone south in the last 10 years sealing everything inside, gone are the removable battery and hard drive and ram covers on the bottom.

 

To get inside a laptop for a simple upgrade or maintenance requires you to remove a bunch of screws and remove the bottom of the laptop risking, breaking cheap plastic clips in the process.

 

I'm much happier when someone brings me a desktop vs a laptop for a hard drive repair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/10/2021 at 15:30, warwagon said:

as far as maintenance and repair, desktops, simply because how easy they are to get inside and access the components.. Laptop have gone south in the last 10 years sealing everything inside, gone are the removable battery and hard drive and ram covers on the bottom.

Last I saw, they were able to get at everything when removing the bottom part. (From LTT)

 

Hatches are really an old architecture, really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/10/2021 at 15:34, Mindovermaster said:

Last I saw, they were able to get at everything when removing the bottom part. (From LTT)

 

Hatches are really an old architecture, really.

I miss the days of Hatches I really really really do.  Someone recently brought me a laptop with a hatch for an SSD upgrade. The laptop was still decent. Had that hard drive removed in about 1.5 mins. As I was removing it I was thinking "God I miss this" .. this is also why I still *Heart* my probook, where you push who levers in and the service panel just comes out!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/10/2021 at 15:36, warwagon said:

I miss the days of Hatches I really really really do.  Someone recently brought me a laptop with a hatch for an SSD upgrade. The laptop was still decent. Had that hard drive removed in about 1.5 mins. As I was removing it I was thinking "God I miss this" .. this is also why I still *Heart* my probook, where you push who levers in and the service panel just comes out!

I hate some laptops that have 2 RAM slots, but one is on the bottom. The other one is under the keyboard..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/10/2021 at 15:43, Mindovermaster said:

I hate some laptops that have 2 RAM slots, but one is on the bottom. The other one is under the keyboard..

 

I LOVE this design! I have a ProBook just like this one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.