GMAIL Issue

Hi,

I just received an email on my gmail account stating this>

Some of your saved passwords were found online

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com

One or more of the passwords stored in your Google Account was found in a data breach from a site or app that you use.

Your Google Account is not affected, and you can secure your saved passwords now using Password Checkup (passwords.google.com/checkup).

Do you guys think this is legit or do i need to do something about it? Plz advize

yeah should be legit. first I've seen it notified through email but I don't use gmail so maybe it's a gmail specific provided protection. It's the same wording Chrome uses when it notifies of such breeches so unless there's a different URL embeded on the link in the email itself you should be good

I'd follow the advice and check the checkup list and change your password on anything affected to be safe personally

edit: ah it's notifying specifically about passwords you've saved in Google's official password manager; aka the same password manager Chrome and Android use/share. that URL is for the web version of the password manager (Y) 

image.thumb.png.c88c4c1c9061828eccbc05173ce1afe7.png

Go into the Google Account page and you should see a "Security Recommendations" panel on the main page. Any potential issues will be listed in there.

On 25/10/2021 at 16:31, BoondockSaint said:

Go into the Google Account page and you should see a "Security Recommendations" panel on the main page. Any potential issues will be listed in there.

I dont see this option. where is it plz?

is it ok if i just delete the passwords for those accounts compromised? there are 24 of them. its the easiest way than changing all of them. Plz advise.

On 25/10/2021 at 23:02, Bruinator said:

is it ok if i just delete the passwords for those accounts compromised?

You would only be deleting the saved password, you wouldn't be deleting it from the compromised website.

Listen to me, I spent a good portion of yesterday going through 40 compromised passwords and changing them on the source website (or deleting them, some of the websites no longer existed).

All Google is, is a password manager. You need to make sure your password is changed at the website it was compromised on, which will take a bit of time if it is multiple passwords.

You can possibly ignore the alerts where passwords are the same (which is a bit further down) the ones you need to be concerned about is where they were part of a data breach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2